UKC

Win Hill for sale. Any one interested?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toccata 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Loris Doyle:

Can't imaging this flying off the shelf. Basically 588 acres of park land and at that price unlikely to be profitable from a farming perspective. Interestingly the farmland is not offered separately. I expect grouse shooting would be rather difficult.
 digby 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> I expect grouse shooting would be rather difficult.

Don't you bet on it! That's exactly what it would be bought for, unless it's someone like the national trust. And they can shut access land any time they want once it is a grouse moor.
 mrphilipoldham 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Toccata:

I suspect not..

Sporting potential (previously managed as a grouse moor)
 toad 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Loris Doyle:

I don't know who outside grouse shooting interests would be interested. The NT might, but they already own a lot and it isn't (relatively) very large. It is a noteable landmark, though, so it might be of interest to them. RSPB/ wildlife Trusts? but it's very expensive and not huge amount of existing wildlife interest. I think the only way such a group might be interested would be as an example of how to restore degraded moorland to a more natural environment, and it does have some potential there, because it is quite distinct, and isolated from larger areas of grousemoor. Maybe a UKC crowdfunding exercise.....
 spartacus 14 Nov 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

The problem with it as a Grouse moor is its not big enough on its own. You would get one/two drives off it max, a number of other shoots in the area would be needed to make a day it. You could do walked up Grouse shooting but the proximity of the public and its size are against this.
 toad 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Dorchester:

it did occur to me that this might be related to the NT's recent high profile refusal to renew the shooting tenancies on adjacent moorland
 Simon Caldwell 14 Nov 2016
In reply to digby:

> And they can shut access land any time they want once it is a grouse moor.

No they can't. It's mostly open access so they can only close it for a very limited number of days. It's also crossed by loads of public footpaths and bridleways, which cannot be closed, so using the land for shooting could be impractical
 Goucho 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> No they can't. It's mostly open access so they can only close it for a very limited number of days. It's also crossed by loads of public footpaths and bridleways, which cannot be closed, so using the land for shooting could be impractical

It's not an attractive purchase from a financial perspective.

If you can't generate an income from the land, at least to cover the cost of maintenance and legalities, then it becomes a money pit and a folly.

I also can't see it delivering an acceptable return on the investment further down the line on resale.

I suppose someone may buy it as an altruistic gesture, but that is a big ask?
Post edited at 14:01
 Toccata 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Loris Doyle:

Yes the proximity of footpaths, the small size and high number of walkers would limit its use for shooting. Strines Moor have had a fair few problems with saboteurs and I suspect a shoot in such a prominent place would be asking for trouble. Here's hoping the NT step in (and get a good discount).
 toad 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Toccata:

looking at the patterns of intensive burn on the air photos, it looks like it already is being intensively managed for grouse rearing. Whether this is for shooting there (I don't know if there is a history of grouse shooting on here) or just to contribute towards a "healthy" grouse population in the surrounding area, I don't know
 digby 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
"Landowners may also apply to close their land for up to 28 days a year and which can be at short notice..."
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/crow

2016 restrictions -
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/crow/crow-restrictions

And how many of the footpaths on it are actually public or bridleways?
Post edited at 14:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...