UKC

Old gear you can't let go of...and even still use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 14 Nov 2016
I admit I'm a bit of a gear horder, and hate getting rid of even really really old stuff - talking more about clothing/footwear etc as opposed to hardware, although I do horde that too.

But as well as hording the stuff, I also still use the odd bits too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shy about buying new kit, in fact I tend to buy quite a lot - usually more than I'll actually use - but I find there's something about old gear.

It may be a sentimental thing, I'm not sure?

So what old gear you not only horde, but also still occasionally use?
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I believe I have the most esoteric set of nuts this side of the border. None of them match, none have any adonising left and only one still has its size tag. I'm pretty sure some of the ones in the middle of the krad date back to the Romans. There's even the odd hex/wire hybrid in there.

johnwright 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I still have a Karrimor Whillans sack and a Karrimor Hot Rock sack, a pair Scarpa cragrat rock boots. Still use my Cragjac when walking the dog when it's p*ssing it down. I also have several Troll harnesses of various ages ranging from a belt to a Mk 6 harness.
Lusk 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Anodising, size tags, you've lost me there, chief.
 wbo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho: my Chouinard zero is still my go to alpine axe . 30 plus years of good service

Adonising. It's a problem.
 Dave the Rave 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

An old Karrimor Hot Route 45l sack. It's covered in pink paint from a seepage in the cupboard under the stairs but I still love it! It's my favourite hill and shopping sack.
ROSP 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
I have my dad's homemade figure eight descender made from aircraft alloy when he was an apprentice. I have never used it in anger and probably never will, but I could never bring myself to throw it away, along with the rest of my fathers' gear!

I do still crack out his EB boots and old school hexes if I'm having an easy day at the crag though!
Post edited at 21:17
 JJL 14 Nov 2016

> I believe I have the most esoteric set of nuts this side of the border. None of them match, none have any adonising left and only one still has its size tag. I'm pretty sure some of the ones in the middle of the krad date back to the Romans. There's even the odd hex/wire hybrid in there.

Anodising?

Lightweight.
 joe.wahab 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Bloody hell, where to begin...

Well, there's load of old Campbell and Camp hexes and other large nuts that have been re slung and made it onto this years winter rack, which is an amalgamation of what used to belong to my dad and granddad. I still use the big hexes on rock - bomber!

My granddad gave me a big pertex/pile north cape fleecy thing which I have named the purple monstrosity (because my mum hates it) which is great for chilly days out. Also some mountain equipment fleece trousers - great for cold rock climbing - they fit me really well! His old HH lifa, a phoenix raincoat, a phoenix tent (phreebooter?). His old boreal ballets were my first pair of climbing shoes a couple of years ago, and they helped me win my club's 80s climbers themed day down Bosigran this summer.

From my dad I've got some very warm wild country shelled pile mitts (I didn't know they made gloves??) and a knitted orange balaclava that goes in the emergency warmth section for winter stuff. I don't know if this counts as 'gear' but I've also nicked some cracking mountaineering books and lots of OS maps! I've been pretty lucky with the stuff I've managed to 'inherit' to say the least! Only wish I inherited their climbing/athletic abilities....! It will come with training I'm sure.
 sg 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> An old Karrimor Hot Route 45l sack. It's covered in pink paint from a seepage in the cupboard under the stairs but I still love it! It's my favourite hill and shopping sack.

+1 for original Hot Route, though mine's a mighty 55l. Only sack I've ever really used or needed - anything else I've bought has seemed rubbish by comparison. Travelled round world, many a scottish winter route, crag sack, etc. Must be over 35 years old!

Babika 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

My nut key is about 30 years old and seems to produce some weird stares. Its just a simple prodder none of those fancy hooks and loops for grabbing cams and drilled holes for weight saving.

Can also be used for spreading butter at the crag if need be.
 summo 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

original Scarpa El Cap boots, I've been dragging their life out for over 10 years now, just the odd annual trip out. Never understood why they were replaced with mescalitos etc..
 Rog Wilko 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Can I be the first to mention a Moac on 9mm rope. Not that I actually take it out these days but I just think i still might.
 Mark Kemball 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

A very old compass that was my dad's, it looks like it was home made, possible by him. (I've never used it though). An unused tricouni which sits on the bookshelves as an ornament. Nearly every guide book I've ever owned and a few that were my dad's.
Sensible stuff - my old Snowdon Curver, which was my first ice axe and is now my walking axe, my first icehammer which is a perfectly good peg hammer.
 timjones 15 Nov 2016

> I believe I have the most esoteric set of nuts this side of the border. None of them match, none have any adonising left and only one still has its size tag. I'm pretty sure some of the ones in the middle of the krad date back to the Romans. There's even the odd hex/wire hybrid in there.

You've got nuts that used to have anodising?

They're right modern they are
In reply to Goucho:

I still have and occasionally use a set of ridgid stem friends from around 1982, they've been rewired more than once and still work perfectly. I also have a slider and a roller but haven't used them for years.
 Andy Johnson 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
Karrimor Hot Earth rucksack bought in the early 90s from the old Cotswold shop on Oxford Road in Manchester, and still going strong. Nicely unfashionable purple colour with brown straps. Transports my rack, helmet, harness, cake, etc. Bombproof - unlike modern Karrimor gear, apparently .

Troll chalk bag from my previous climbing phase in the 90s.

Wild Country nut key from the same time. Heavy and tarnished and un-technical looking.

Almost unused set of old Camp hexes that I really must re-sling one of these days. I carry a size 4 around in my pocket for no particular reason.
Post edited at 10:09
 Andy Johnson 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
DMM Anka that we used to use as belay devices indoors - wtf were we thinking...

Old itchy/scratchy wool hat that pulls down to make a balaclava, and which belonged to my dad when he was a young man. I never wear it.
Post edited at 10:23
OP Goucho 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I've kept nearly all my gear over the years - I should in fact open a museum. But the following are some of the gear I do still use at times.

ME Redline duvet from the 80's. To bulky for technical climbing, but still superb for general wintery stuff and toasty warm.

Chouinard Supergaiters. Yes Yeti's are better, but getting the buggers on your boots is a ridiculous procedure.

Karrimor Joe Brown rucksac. Battered, covered in patches, but still my favourite all time sac - though not for anything serious these days.

Berghaus Cyclops Zappelli Rucksac. Bought it back in @81' but used it on a couple of outings in the alps last winter, and it's still a great sac.

Simond Chacals. Still my 'go to' weapons of choice.

Salewa Stitch Plate. If it ain't broken?

Wintergear Triple Glove/Mitt. A wonderful piece of kit from the late Ben Winteringham.

Javelin Jacket. Mainly used for gardening duties, but still bomb proof.

MOAC Original. In the right placement, still the greatest nut ever.

Warthog Ice Scews. Still going strong after over 35 years - although I've never actually fallen onto one.

Greasy Prusiks 15 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

True.

In my defence it is just the one and it is from the 80s!
 Fredt 15 Nov 2016
In reply to wbo:

> my Chouinard zero is still my go to alpine axe . 30 plus years of good service

40 years with mine, with the bamboo shaft.
Nothing better for most things in the Alps, never needed a bent one.
 Doug 15 Nov 2016
Salewa 'bendy' crampons still used with more flexible walking boots & a Snowdon 'curver' ice axe, all bought in 1976 for my first visit to the Alps

A fleece neck tube which someone left in the car sometime in the mid 80s, always in my sac in winter & often worn

pair of ski sticks rescued from a bin in Aviemore early 80s, still used for piste skiing

Assorted Chouinard hexcentrics from the late 70s, although the rope has been changed a few times

Also have a couple of Karrimor rucksacs from the 70s (Pinnacle, Joe Brown) but not really usable anymore but kept for sentimental reasons

fred99 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

My hexes - now around 40 years old, and on their umpteenth cords.
 AlanLittle 15 Nov 2016
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

My rigid stem Friends are now the reserve set, if I need doubles to the Totems/Dragons and my partner doesn't have any. I'll certainly never part with the 2.5 that I bought in about 1980. I know some people suggest the various flat spots on the lobes might adversely affect the camming action but it's never dropped me yet.

My purple Mountain Equipment Ultrafleece that I bought for not very much at the old factory shop in Glossop some time in the early 90s sadly only sees service for gardening/outdoor diy type activities these days.
 oldie 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Almost never throw anything away. Still use two MOACs routinely, and spuds (one hole nuts) on cord bandolier in case no gear left for belay. Have recently had to leave a spare set of gear in Dorset and found its still perfectly good for the easy routes I do eg wired wedges without curved faces, long Cassin peg doubling as nut extractor.
Many axes, would now be regarded as for walking but some, eg laminated bamboo shaft Chouinard, once quite technical. Use Salewa classic strap-on crampons.
Still use old Joe Brown Extendable sac, mainly holes but light and useful for carrying things in Ortlieb bag where might get a soaking.
Have often found old gear suitable for DIY eg old wires can be looped round something before extracting with it a hammer.
 blurty 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I still use my LightLine sleeping bag "Mountain Equipment - Suppliers to Seven Everest expeditions"
 brianjcooper 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I have a feeling that the crags were made afterwards, so they would perfectly fit the M.O.A.C. I still have on my harness.
 Trangia 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Hickory shafted axe/Alpen stock

2 metre metal Head skis with cable bindings (what I wore for the winter Haute Route in the 1960s) plus skins

Steel Stubai krabs

Peg hammer and pegs

Etriers

50m bright red avalanche cord with lead meter markers arrowed

Pair of 1950s Army mess tins

1950s compo ration brass can opener

wbo 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Fredt: - I have the new fangled blue Al and fiberglass handled version. I also still use some old hexes that are in the 30+ category but didn't even think of them as they get used all the time, ditto my wires are racked on a Chouinard oval aluminum krab.

Lots of old wires and cams too,

Timmd 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
My grey Berghaus Munro 35 litre rucksack which my Dad bought me in 1995, it's got a hole that's just appeared at the bottom near the waist belt through which the frame is visible, and the lid pocket needs a new zip, and some abrasion on the left strap caused by a bike crash needs covering, but for a 21 year old rucksack it's done pretty well. Dribbling superglue onto anything looking anything like the start of a wear patch or a hole seems to have helped where I've noticed them.

Am going to sew up the hole near the waist belt and cover the stitching in superglue or Araldite, and sew a sample of Cordora over the abrasion on the left strap (reinforcing the stitching with superglue) and a new zip into the lid pocket, and hopefully it'll last for another decent while. It's become almost like a talisman, I think I'll always use it if only for shopping with.
Post edited at 18:28
 SChriscoli 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I'm still new to building my rack...but I was graced with an some gear from the former chair of the club, who sadly passed away before I met him.

Amongst the old style quick draws, old style helmet was a solid hex threaded with thick access cord.

This thing has clearly seen some use with its pockmarked face but by all appearance absolutley bomber.

I call it my Ken Mac special, in honour of its form owner (Ken McWilliams) and in the short time I've had it..its served me so well. Securing places where modern kit just didnt seem to sit right.

As my rack gets upgraded and improved...I'll always keep that piece - may rethread with some dyneema but I know there will always be use for it still.
 pjcollinson 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Still got quite a bit of vintage stuff, some still in use!

Stubia manaslu ice axe, nice lime green colour!
Footfangs
EB's (late 70's)
Whillans harness
Mountain technology axe (fab!)
Simond Chacal hammer (i think that was the model, but its in the loft)
Mountain Equipment Redline jacket, sooooo warm.
Assorted ice screws
Ancient warthog
Sticht plates
Moac original
Set of hexes
Rigid stemmed friends
Helly Hansen fibre pile mitts - the best
ME fleece balaclava
Troll Omnis
Patagonia Capilene thermals - must be 30 years old, worn loads, but still look new. Ace!
Rohan breeches
I recently binned my first rope, bought in 1980, it was looking a bit tired! (probably should have sent it off to the BMC for testing)
Also not long since my purple Haston Alpinist went. It was decomposing.
Plenty of memories tied up with that little lot, I'll be reminiscing all evening now!

Timmd 15 Nov 2016
In reply to pjcollinson:
I used to like the climbing cupboard/random walk in wardrobe right at the top of my childhood home, which was a unusual tiny room by itself on the top landing. It had all the climbing and camping and walking gear stored & hanging in it, and if I went in for something I'd inevitably be hit by the smells from different pieces of equipment and stand and gaze around for a couple of mins being distracted from what I went up for, being reminded of different family walks or holidays from my childhood or teenage climbing - by the pieces of equipment or their smells, before coming out with what I went in for. Quite remarkable how a smell can transport you back to a time quite long ago.
Post edited at 22:21
In reply to Goucho:

ME Ultrafleece jacket, vintage 1993. I suspect I shall bequeath it to someone in my will.

T.
 Dave Cundy 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
I still climb with a rigid stem friend 1.5 from 1986 although one or two mates have suggested that its time to release the moths from my wallet. There's also the Chouinard no. 12 stopper that held my first ever fall, from Fingernail in Wilton 1. About 10 years later, one of the lads said "you did put some new cord on it didn't you?". That seemed a good idea
Removed User 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Currently using a bit that's 55 years old. Somehow can't bring myself to get rid of it. Mind you she's a great belayer, and as a wife she's not that bad either.
 Brass Nipples 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Karrimor Outward Bound II bought for a £5 off a mate at school in '78

Hat Dude 17 Nov 2016
In reply to wbo:

I still have a 35 year old Camp Super Zero, don't think I'd use it now, as I wouldn't trust the fibreglass shaft. Was a good axe though it weighs a ton compared with modern mountaineering axes.
 dontfollowme 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Karrimor Alpiniste 45 +10 in orange and blue - never really used it but can't bear to chuck it. Now used to store an old Snugpak sleeping back in.

moac 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

A Moac of course
 Bob Kemp 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:

I've a much-battered Sigg bottle circa 1980 that I still use. Still has the original sealing washer too, and never leaks.
 HammondR 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Goucho:
Still use all the time:
- DMM betabrake sticht plate & HMS carabiner
- Rock 7,8 & 9 on tape purchased from Alan Austin's for 1st days climbing in 1985
- 1980's Karrimor Hot Rock (new buckles)

Winter:
- Whillans harness
- Rigid stem friends
- Wild Country Yeti type gaiters from John Dunne's shop circa 1990 (with the odd patch)
- Wintergear goretex mits (a bit leaky now)
- Buffalo salopets (original grey) which won't wear out.
- Petzl Zoom

Saw a young chap at Shepherds Crag this summer with a fresh out of the packet Troll Mk 5 harness. Brand spanking new. His dad had bought it 30+ years ago then promptly packed in climbing. A real trip down memory lane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...