UKC

Gipsy's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Hy 14 Nov 2016

Not the Romany kind i talking about the New!! camming device. i'm assuming its new because i've never heard of them before.
https://shop.epictv.com/en/cams-nuts/kong/gipsy-2015
atm i can't see how they work, anyone?

johncook 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

Didn't Edelrid? make something like this about 30+ years ago. Will do some research. The link from needlesports to the gear museum may help me. I will be back.
Pulling the cord tries to lift the lower arm which it is fixed to, while pulling the upper arm which it runs over, down to join it, so making the piece wider and causing it to fit across the crack.
 daWalt 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

turn up with just the three of these and a set of tri-cams; n then say to your mate "there's no point luggin' everything up to the crag - shall we just take my rack?....."

if they've got any qualms you can offer to chuck in a couple of lewis pins as well.........
 EddInaBox 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

> atm i can't see how they work, anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=f_cCKSwlQLo&
 d_b 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:
Here's one I placed earlier: http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2013/rhinog_fach/P1050086.JPG

A load on the tape tries to close the "hinge", which exerts an outward force on the crack.
Post edited at 22:29
 jezb1 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

They look horrible to rack on your harness.
 d_b 14 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:
You rack them closed. If you clip the axle it isn't too bad, but letting them dangle is bloody awful.

The two big problems with them imho are:

1. The sides do not move independently in the same manner as cam lobes, so they are useless in flared cracks.

2. you need to open them with both hands, which effectively means at the bottom of the pitch where you mean to place them.

The good points:

1. Cheap.

2. Lighter than most huge came.

3. WTF/trolling points.
Post edited at 22:48
 Lemony 14 Nov 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
Pretty sure you can open them one handed with use of a leg as per the video but it's not the sort of thing I'd want to be thinking about given my usual mental state on offwidths.

edit: I should point out that I've not actually placed one, just fiddled with one.
Post edited at 22:52
 d_b 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Lemony:

I hadn't watched the video before but felt moved to get mine out of the gear box and try it.

It does work, and I wish I had thought of that/seen the relevant vid when I was struggling to get it open
cb294 15 Nov 2016
In reply to EddInaBox:

The video is a bit pointless, as at the sizes the climber used most of us would prefer a biggish Cam. They do, however, come in much bigger sizes, where the independent movement is less of an issue and a cam would be an absolute unwieldy bastard to carry.

The actual competition is not with cams, but with big bros: Think car jack...

CB
 Goucho 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Paul Hy:

> Not the Romany kind i talking about the New!! camming device. i'm assuming its new because i've never heard of them before.

> atm i can't see how they work, anyone?

I might be completely wrong, but I'm sure Tom Proctor was working with something along these lines, although in a larger size, for his and Phil Burke's Cerro Torre trip?

If Phil sees this thread, he might be able to shed more light, or prove I'm completely wrong
OP Paul Hy 16 Nov 2016
In reply to cb294:

> The actual competition is not with cams, but with big bros: Think car jack...

> CB

yeah i have used a big bro in USA couple years back. was a bit dubious about them and made sure i didn't fall on it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...