UKC

Dynafit radical or vipecs ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 15 Nov 2016
Has anybody used both bindings ?
Intrested to hear if anybody has swapped to vipecs and what they think, I realise they're a bit spendy but when I had a look in the shop seemed very well made. But then so are dyna fiddles . I ve only really used pin bindings a few times and didn't get on with them then but that said I think I'll put some on my new skis and get on with it.
Also , I have been through this whole bah humbug pin bindings aren't for me , no good for Scotland / lakes, all you need are Ron hills and a battered fleece with burn holes , I only drink tea me , nonsense but I'm still getting some.
 HammondR 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:
Never skied on Vipec bindings. Did 60 days last season on Dynafit (Beast 14 not Radical).

In the Trient hut last March we dined with a guided group on the Haut Route who were having to lose a day of their trip due to one of them having broken a brand new Vipec which they cobbled together to get down to the valley. This was one of the latest black versions. It may have just been bad luck, but ....

2 of my chums skied all last year on Radical 2 bindings. Faultless through some significant use. Like the beast there is some elasticity in the heel of the 2 (Vipec has elasticity in the toe!).

I don't know if he has any left, but Jon Coster at the Piste Office near Nottingham had a batch of the latest Beast 14 bindings at about £240. An absolute steal. 300g heavier than the Vipec, but bombproof in operation and feel like an Alpine binding.

top cat 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

> . I ve only really used pin bindings a few times and didn't get on with them then but that said I think I'll put some on my new skis and get on with it.

> Also , I have been through this whole bah humbug pin bindings aren't for me , no good for Scotland / lakes, all you need are Ron hills and a battered fleece with burn holes , I only drink tea me , nonsense but I'm still getting some.

This was my attitude too! I bought some, used them for a season, got totally frustrated with them and ditched them as soon as I could. Whisper this quietly:....the king has no clothes...

DaveHK 15 Nov 2016
In reply to top cat:

> This was my attitude too! I bought some, used them for a season, got totally frustrated with them and ditched them as soon as I could.

Was this by any chance many many years ago?
 top cat 15 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

2 years ago, new bindings
OP mike123 15 Nov 2016
In reply to HammondR:
Thanks . I can only find good reviews on line about the new vipecs but a friend of a friend had the first ones which had various issues . I will see if the piste office still has the beasts , cheapest I can find the vipecs is £300.
Thanks all so far . Still undecided . New skis arrive late in the week so will have get my finger out soon . As I'm my getting new skis it virtually guarantees an early and long bumper season in the lakes and Scotland .
 DaveHK 15 Nov 2016
In reply to top cat:

> 2 years ago, new bindings

Then I propose that you are either unlucky, impatient or cack handed.
James Jackson 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

I can't comment on the Vipecs, but I have the Radical ST 2 on my fat skis, and original Radical STs on my thin ones. Both are great bindings (having skied all over the Alps and Scotland with both sets of skis), and I clocked about 35 Scottish touring days with the ST 2 last winter. They are great bindings and I can't recommend them enough. Stand up to anything, and I'm happy tackling any terrain with them.

The new ones do feel different to the older model; there is more give in the heel and the toe-piece rotates which removes some of the clattering / direct feel of rigid pin bindings - I think it's that which makes them seem odd to those only used to alpine bindings. As you say though, a big thing is just getting on with it and skiing on them, whatever the make.
 inboard 15 Nov 2016
In reply to top cat:

Not sure whether you're saying you've skied dynafits again since Feb 2012 when you sold me your barely-used vertical STs. But if not, then they have significantly changed. Maybe not enough to satisfy everyone, but the radical 2.0 is a great binding, light, with good elasticity and release.

To the OP: personally, I'd go with radical st 2. Little difference in weight with vipec, but I'd prefer dynafit's tried/ tested design over fritschi's. For most touring and resort skiing there I see little need for the (heavier) beast, unless you're planning cliff or cornice jumps etc.
 OwenM 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

I've been using the Vipecs for the last two winters here is Scotland, skiing most weekends and one day mid-week whilst the snow lasted. I've not had any problems with them and I really like them. I think the newer ones have an improved toe guide thingy so their easier to line up the pin holes, not that the old ones are a problem you just get used to them. I ski on and off piste with them and think their great.
 Dave 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

Haven't used Vipecs - they seem more fiddly to get in when I've skied with someone who has them. Don't see the real advantage of the toe release either. I used to ski Dynafit Radical ST's, then Speed Radical, and now ATK Haute Route, which is the ultimate touring binding I reckon, though I use them for everything. A cheap Speed Radical set is a good bet. That's all after years on Fritschis and Silvretta 404's in prehistoric times.
 damowilk 16 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

You could go for neither of the above and try G3 Ions! I find them a lot easier to get into than Dynafit/Plums.
OP mike123 16 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:
Thanks again all. Another factor in this equation is cost . Whilst subscribing to the n+1 theory of how Many bikes or skis one needs, this set are going to be a hard to justify purchase . I've got a spare set of free ride pros and access to the appropriate mounting jig ,so just a bit of time required. Whereas The pin bindings need buying and paying ski boy to mount them . Whilst a bit heavy the beasts are looking attractive on cost. Has anybody seen any other deals ? particularly thinking ST 2 s.
 Jim 1003 16 Nov 2016
In reply to top cat:
> This was my attitude too! I bought some, used them for a season, got totally frustrated with them and ditched them as soon as I could. Whisper this quietly:....the king has no clothes...

My experience to, I use Hagan bindings now, wouldn't have set of pin bindings for free, not tried Vipers but would consider them.
Also free ride pro's don't hang at 90 degrees, making kick turns on steep slopes, from 35 degrees up difficult.
Post edited at 08:53
 Dave 16 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

>Whereas The pin bindings need buying and paying ski boy to mount them .

It's not much different mounting pin bindings to Fritschi or others. I've mounted several Dynafits myself. Get the mounting pattern from the Wild Snow website, leave yourself plenty of time to do it and perhaps practice on a block of wood first.
James Jackson 16 Nov 2016
In reply to mike123:

Be aware that the Beasts need you to modify the boot, and it also doesn't have a flat tour mode (unless they've fixed those issues in an updated version).
 GraB 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave:

Ditto Dave. I have mounted several Fritschi bindings, several Dynafits and two pairs of Vipecs. None are really any harder than the other IMO, though as Dave says, leave yourself plenty of time. The Wild Snow templates and instructions are spot on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...