/ South Devon and Dartmoor guidebook

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
SanchoPascoe - on 16 Nov 2016
Can anyone update me as to the latest news on the new guide or guides which are to replace the old SD@D guide. I understand that the area has been split into two and that the publication has been taken on by the Climbers Club. Am I correct in my thinking or do I need to retreat back to my man-cave to ponder more?
John Willson - on 16 Nov 2016
Cheese Monkey - on 16 Nov 2016
In reply to John Willson:

Avon only covers Avon Gorge now?
remus - on 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> Avon only covers Avon Gorge now?

I think the plan is to split the old avon and cheddar books in to avon gorge, cheddar gorge and the mendips. I think Im right in saying that Martin Crocker is doing the avon and cheddar books, im not sure about the mendips book. There's also a from valley sandstone book in production which I reckon is gonna be the best book of the year!
In reply to SanchoPascoe:

From what I gather the Dartmoor Guidebook is going to print around Christmas, as such should be out early next year.

Sample pages I've seen look great too, that Nick White South Devon & Dartmoor Guidebook was always going to be a tough act to follow, but I think they've managed it.
Duncan Campbell - on 16 Nov 2016

An exciting couple of years for guidebook lovers!
broc on 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

The Nick White guide is a classic read!

I've been looking forward to this new Dartmoor guide for ages. There has been so much development on the moor over the past few years it will be nice to have it collated into one resource. Hopefully it will achieve this, and keep some of Nick White's humour within its pages ;)
In reply to broc:

Funnily enough the guide in question is currently sitting on top of my toilet which is high praise indeed - this is quite an exclusive spot within my household (at least as far as guidebooks are concerned)!

From what I've seen of the new edition it will be similarly enjoyable to read, with many a witty turn of phrase and plenty of obscure references, plus many more great action shots, but - rather fortunately - it will be far, far more usable than the original. Great though the Nick White guide was for entertainment, it was actually pretty terrible (at least by modern standards) for finding routes.

John Willson - on 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Yes, Avon covers only the gorge, and the book is actually titled Avon Gorge. However, it includes the Leigh Woods (west side) crags, the first guide for 50 years to do so, and fills 400 A5 pages.

Both Dartmoor and Avon Gorge are very near to completion and both should be published early next year.

> Both Dartmoor and Avon Gorge are very near to completion and both should be published early next year.

Great news on both accounts.

As Duncan says, 2017 is shaping up to be a good year for climbing guides!
Cheese Monkey - on 16 Nov 2016

Nice I've seen there has been a lot of development on that side of the woods. Good for next summer

Yes, twenty years is a long life for a guide although Nick's guide will enter the Vallhala of immortality, even with the Chaos Theory inspired drawings and oblique Scandinavian phrasing. He did somewhat set a benchmark for subsequent guides.
Thanks for the various responses and let's see what 2017 brings. God knows, it can't get any worse than this year, surely? In the meantime I'm retreating to previously mentioned mancave to start training again dodgy shoulder to sort out.

I still think that there's a large percentage of that guide I'm not enlightened enough to comprehend...

remus - on 16 Nov 2016

> I still think that there's a large percentage of that guide I'm not enlightened enough to comprehend...

To me it feels like being part of a backwater religion. As a young punter I dismissed the good book as the ramblings of a mad man, but as I've slowly become more embroiled in this strange sport of ours the secrets of the good book have revealed themselves.

I suspect true enlightenment will require more chossy sandstone towers than is really healthy, but needs must!
remus - on 16 Nov 2016

> Great though the Nick White guide was for entertainment, it was actually pretty terrible (at least by modern standards) for finding routes.

As the saying goes "it's about the journey, not the destination" and finding a route in the Nick White guide was always an excellent journey!
Airtime! - on 24 Nov 2016

It takes years and years of sitting on the bog reading it repeatedly to get full insight into
Nick's mindset...

The new Dartmoor guide is imminent and will hopefully do the old guide justice and then some,
watch this space!!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Sean Kelly - on 24 Nov 2016

> Can anyone update me as to the latest news on the new guide or guides which are to replace the old SD@D guide. I understand that the area has been split into two and that the publication has been taken on by the Climbers Club. Am I correct in my thinking or do I need to retreat back to my man-cave to ponder more?

Yes. as I understand it, the Dartmoor guide is imminent and will be followed a year later by the corresponding Limestone guide essentially covering Torbay and Chudders!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.