UKC

NEWS: Brits on Form in Yosemite Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Nov 2016
Pete Whittaker on crux pitch 24 of Freerider, 4 kbRobbie Phillips has just returned from Yosemite, where he made a rare free ascent of the Pre Muir Wall. British climbers were out in The Valley in force this Autumn and Robbie has sent in a round-up of some impressive British achievements...

Read more
 Blake 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

"Climbing household names such as Andy Kirkpatrick, Leo Houlding, Patrick “Patch” Hammond, Jerry Moffat, Hazel Findlay and Johnny Dawes are amongst a small elite group who have done some incredible stuff here."

Has Johnny Dawes done anything in Yosemite/America?
 Fraser 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great write-up Robbie, inspiring stuff!
 Peter Walker 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Blake:

I remember seeing a pic of Dawes (possibly in a Petzl advert?) resplendent with bleached blonde hair cutting loose on the Alien roof.
 Lemony 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Peter Walker:
> I remember seeing a pic of Dawes (possibly in a Petzl advert?) resplendent with bleached blonde hair cutting loose on the Alien roof.

http://www.supertopo.com/inc/photo_zoom.php?dpid=PDg7Pzc_JiUq
(previous images containt he whole article)
Post edited at 12:56
 Adam Long 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Slightly overlooked above, from Calum Coldwell-Storey's logbook on here:

"Fell on the last move of the 5.13a Boulder problem pitch.. and with that went the flash/onsite of the route. RP 2nd go. Every other pitch lead or seconded 1st go. "

Which makes it one of the best efforts on the route ever afaik.

A pic of Johnny on the Alien roof was on the cover of the old guidebook. It wasn't the best photo in the book so I always took it as a sign he had made some impression on the locals.
 plyometrics 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Peter Walker:

Excellent barnets like that are lacking within today's climbing elite, sadly.
In reply to Adam Long:

Sorry, I didn't know much about their ascent. That is an absolutely incredible effort. I also heard that Tom lay backed the monster which I think is probably the single most impressive ascent in Yosemite this year (incl Dawn Wall if Adam does it!) :P
 Blake 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome! Thanks for the responses... I had no idea Johnny had been to Yosemite, if I remember correctly there is nothing in his biog about it? anybody know anything else about the subject?
 ChrisBrooke 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Sean!
In reply to Adam Long:

.....and u both spelt my name wrong. There is no justice in the world :p

chris fox 18 Nov 2016
In reply to C coldwell-storry:

At least they didn't call you Tommy Coldwell-Storry !!!!!
 AliceJS 20 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Hi Robbie. I was at the talk at the Kendal Mountain Festival today (I'm the one who's cast you signed!). I just thought of a question I should have asked then: you mentioned that you really struggle with exposure. How do you deal with it? I'm a relative novice but have found that exposure absolutely eats me even when I'm just seconding! Thanks for a great talk today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...