UKC

Google Nexus/Pixel products..not very good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 16 Nov 2016
Not impressed with the quality of Google Nexus/Pixel products.

I now have two dead Nexus 7 tablets, both of which have known faults. But as I got them off Amazon I have little chance of a refund.

I am, at this very moment, returning a replacement Pixel C tablet after the original Pixel C broke for a full refund. Initially Google were not going to comply, stating that they had a policy of issuing up to three replacements before a full refund.

A quick chat about the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and something about not fit for purpose got them to play nicely, or as nicely as you can with two phone calls between 30 and 45 minutes long while the issue was transferred up the food-chain.

I also am on a replacement Nexus phone which had battery issues.

So, all in all, I am not exactly impressed with any product built by Google or by manufacturers who make stuff for them.

However on the positive side, the Google Customer Service is always polite and prompt. I'd much rather kit that worked though.

Anybody else had issues with stuff made by Google?
 planetmarshall 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

My Nexus 5X is excellent, although the battery life is quite poor, this is the case for most smartphone devices.

My Nexus 9 tablet on the other hand, was a very poor device despite the ideal size. I recently sold it on ebay after no longer being able to put up with its performance problems.
OP The Lemming 16 Nov 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> My Nexus 5X is excellent, although the battery life is quite poor, this is the case for most smartphone devices.

I bought mine off Google Play Store and the chap in the Call Centre did not mess around or quibble when I mentioned the poor battery performance. A replacement was with me within 24 hours.

I tried everything that the internet suggested but could not save the battery performance.

Makes you wonder why the Google Call Centre man did not question the poor battery performance though. Maybe he knew about the battery problems to begin with.

BTW

I really like my Nexus phone.
 neil0968 29 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
No surprise two words get a apple

bought a second hand iphone 6 off eBay and although the phone is three years old its still works like new and fast have a iPad mini about 9 months old superb bit of kit used android for years never again just too buggy apple works
Post edited at 21:16
 bouldery bits 29 Nov 2016
In reply to neil0968:

> No surprise two words get a apple

Pedant alert!

hokkyokusei 29 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I broke my nexus tablet by sitting on it, but it was a cheap and easy self repair.
 manicpb 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Just to balance the discussion a little...

Bought a Nexus 7 three years ago (to this month!) to use backpacking around Thailand instead of lugging around a laptop. Was perfect, small enough to travel with and worked perfectly to book hotels, trains and planes whilst on the move. Still use it with a chromecast at home to watch internet channels (bt sport, red bull tv) and for day to day web browsing.

Have used amazon fire and Tesco hudle and the Nexus easily out performs either tablet. I personally struggle with iPad interface but cant fault the power...but at 3 or 4 times the cost it should be powerful!
 mattck 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd disagree. Nothing but praise for my Nexus 5 and 5X, apart from slightly poor battery life.

Had one problem with my Nexus 7 a few years back and a new one was shipped out to me the same day. Their customer support is awesome...
 Jack_Marshall 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Had a Pixel C for about 9 months now, been really happy with it.

I'm now selfishly hoping you are just unlucky
 john arran 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I had an original Nexus phone - about 10 years ago. Was brilliant for maybe 3 years or so, faultless. Then I upgraded to a bigger Samsung and gave the Nexus to my wife ... who managed to brick it within a month! Never saw the light of day again
 Dauphin 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Have a Nexus 10 & 6 and never had an major issue with either. First Nexus 6 bricked itself on updating, apart from that no hardware issues. As you report Google support always super helpful. Might go to the dark side based on the major security issues around Android platform and Google not supporting security updates after two years on Nexus / Pixel devices. Seems crazy on a device that cost upwards of £500 - but Samsung were worse, my s3 was a pig.

D
OP The Lemming 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Jack_Marshall:

>
> I'm now selfishly hoping you are just unlucky

I hope so too.

At the moment, I am on my second Nexus 5x after battery issues.

I have two Nexus 7's with known faults bought from Amazon and, thankfully, a full refund for two faulty Pixel tablets.

The only thing that worked flawlessly was my Nexus 4 phone.

The problem is, that Google are the only company that I am aware of that makes a good attempt at keeping its newer kit upto date with security patches and operating system updates.

Not many other companies who use Android do that, and if they do then it can take upwards of 6 months.

Pop down to PC World and check out the cheaper Tablets and you'll find most of them fitted with operating systems from two or three generations back.

Its not Google's fault, just the fault of the free operating system used to sell cheap units from suppliers who want to take the money and ignore any updates.

A perfect business model with a built in obsolescence and indifference forcing people to abandon perfectly functioning kit because the software has flaws.
 tom r 30 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Had a Nexus 4 and recently bought a 5X which is a really lovely phone. I did have a nexus 7 tablet which I thought was poor. The wifi was dire on it, which I think was a fairly common fault.

The security benefits of having quickly released available updates to the os is one of the main advantages of Nexus phones.
In reply to The Lemming:

I've got the Pixel phone which is the first phone they've used the Google brand on instead of Nexus. It's a joy to use. The battery life is excellent too.
OP The Lemming 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Got to admit, I really do like my Nexus phone as well.

What is the camera like on your Pixel phone?
DayWalker123 04 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

It's a great phone, just a shame about the price tag.

S7 edge wins it for me.
 Sharp 05 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I now have two dead Nexus 7 tablets, both of which have known faults. But as I got them off Amazon I have little chance of a refund.

Amazon is generally one of the easier retailers to get refunds from but if you don't send them back then I agree your chances are pretty slim.
 HeMa 05 Dec 2016
In reply to neil0968:

> No surprise two words get a apple

Not really true anymore...

Apple has come out with some rotten to core things during the last few years (mainly when it comes to phones, AFAIK the tablet have had no big issues.. apart from price). Last being the battery problem of 6S:es.
In reply to The Lemming:
The camera is superb so far! It's really fast to turn on a take a quick snap (double click the power button).

My other half has an iPhone 6 Plus and the Pixel's camera is way better than that in low light. Usable shot on the Pixel vs completely unusable on the iPhone.
Post edited at 09:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...