UKC

Mens Softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jen Appleyard 17 Nov 2016
Hi

I am after a guide for an Xmas present for my partner.
I would like to buy him a Softshell Jacket but I'm unsure which model to go for to suit his needs.
He is an avid Rab fan and enjoys walking / hill climbing. As a person he is hot blooded and does tend to get warm quick.
I have been looking at the Rab range and would like to get him something substantial rather than flimsy. He is very broad and a slim fit would not be suitable. I have been looking at the Rab Salvo Jacket but not sure about the fleeced grid back.
Can anyone please advise and maybe suggest an alternative. I've also looked at the Montane Sabretooth Jacket.
Thanks
 r1ch79 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Jen Appleyard:

in short if you dont know exactly what he is after dont try it......

i tried every softshell under the sun ad was still unahppy to some degree with what I bought even tho i have grown to love it and its a nightmare buying kit esp clothing, boots, bags etc (basically anything where the fit has to be spot on)

maybee thats just me but unless he has said he wants such an such you will probably not buy him what he would have bought himself no matter how much money you spend

its so much more down to fit ad material type rather than colour or make

take him shopping for one if you really want to get him a jacket......

sorry but its a nightmare

I'm thinking along the same lines as the wannabe goat... It's tricky, as soft shells come in many types, each really suited to a particular niche set of weather conditions and activity. It's bewildering, even for people buying for themselves, never mind buying for someone else... How water resistant? How warm? Pockets? Hood? Other features?

What does he normally wear when walking? Why do you think he wants a soft shell jacket?

If he's broad (assuming you mean broad shouldered), then I'm a bit surprised he's a Rab fan, as I find their clothing quite narrow shouldered. At least you ought to have a good idea of what size to buy him.

If he runs warm, then something with significant insulation is likely to be too warm for him, and lack versatility. In which case, something with less insulation might suit best; the Rab VR range, perhaps. Or, if you want rugged (why?), one of the uninsulated, 'heavyweight wind resistant' variants, such as the Rab Exodus. Note the weight; though; they're heavy.

If there's one piece of clothing that I'd recommend someone to buy, if they haven't already got one, it would be a lightweight windshirt; it makes for a very versatile layering system. It will be a lot cheaper (I'm sure that's not your concern, but you could spend the difference on other presents...), and much, much lighter than the likes of the Exodus. they seem flimsy, but they're surprisingly rugged. This thread, although a bit old, has my thoughts on versatile layering, and the place for the windshirt:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=377801#x5471096

Apologies if I've pitched the advice incorrectly.

Make sure whatever you get, that he can return it if it's not what he's looking for, and make sure he knows you're happy for him to do that.

As the other two have said - it's a real tricky one.

Both the jackets you've quoted are on the tighter-weave/impermeable side of shoftshells (therefore warmer and less breathable), whereas the Rab VR mentioned above is on the more windproof(ish) but highly breathable side.

I guess a good place to start would be:

What does he wear now? Baselayer, mid layer, jacket etc? Does he spend a lot of time in just a baselayer? I don't "run hot" but I dislike being sweaty so I'm usually not wearing much when moving in the mountains.

What does he actually do? You've said walking/hill climbing - could you be more specific? I.e. does he go out Munro-bagging in all weather? Or just more leisurely wanders up hills?

If you can answer all those, then there's a chance you might get some useful replies.
 neil0968 17 Nov 2016

Hi JEN

forget what the other replies have said your picks sound good the Montane has some very good reviews as well , I'm sure what ever one you choose will be great just to add to the mix I currently use a Black Diamond BDV hoody pull on this is a excellent bit of kit use for fell walking mountain biking and rock climbing .

abr1966 17 Nov 2016

I'm also broad and tend to warm up easily on the hill. I have the Mammut Pokoi which I really like....
The Rab Vapour Rise is very popular if you prefer to get one with a hood....I personally don't like hoods!

I'm sure he'd be pleased to open up a softshell on Christmas Day! My other half asked me if I wanted a new briefcase...FFS!!
 neuromancer 19 Nov 2016

I'd buy the nicest looking lightweight non-membrane softshell - which will do him for windy mixed days in the uk and alpine summer and skiing.

Something like, for example, an ME Squall.
 BnB 19 Nov 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> I'd buy the nicest looking lightweight non-membrane softshell - which will do him for windy mixed days in the uk and alpine summer and skiing.

> Something like, for example, an ME Squall.

Great advice but a terrrible recommendation. The Squall is a rock climbing-specific cut with ridiculously tight cuffs and no useful pockets.

The Montane Dyno on the other hand has a far more accommodating cut that can take a mid layer beneath while offering a softer feel against the skin, with superb pockets and a great balance of warmth and breathability for anyone who runs hot. For gear geeks it's the update of the Alpine Stretch but in a better fabric. To cap it all, it's not even pricey. Nice one Montane.
 Taurig 19 Nov 2016
In reply to BnB:

BnB, how windproof is the Dyno please? Looking for something to replace my Pertex Equilibrium jacket which is falling apart at the seams. Think Equilibrium lets a little bit of air through but not to the extent I notice it.

Looking for a mountain use windproof / softshell that I can use year round, layering up for winter. Like to avoid putting the goretex on until I really have to, but it will need to keep the wind out in a winter hoolie. Think the Dyno would fit the bill?
 BnB 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I bought it for 3.5 season use as I wanted something very breathable to climb and hike in that was a bit more than a windshirt. However the windproofing is very satisfactory for a highly breathable knit if by no means the fortress that is my Powershield Pro membrane Kniferidge. I'd question the Dyno's relative durability in the face of a wintry thrutch as well, but it's certainly thicker than a windshirt. If you're prepared to carry the Goretex in the pack as well then it's an ideal partner.

I love the adjustable cuffs for cinching down over gloves and the four massive pockets. Proper hood too.
 Thrudge 19 Nov 2016

I can recommend the Rab Vaporise. Like your partner, I run hot. I bought one of these and it works amazingly well - I never get too hot, and if I'm moving at a reasonable speed I don't get cold, either. It blocks the wind well and breathes very well indeed. I once went on a longish scramble up Tryfan in winter - it was chilly and damp from the valley to about halfway up, where it got drier, colder, and very windy. From about two thirds height it was colder still and covered in snow. I did the whole thing in a t-shirt and the Rab. The only time I needed and extra layer was when we stopped for a brew. It's an awesome bit of kit.
 Taurig 19 Nov 2016
In reply to BnB:

Thanks for the feedback, that's very useful. I struggle to think when I wouldnt carry goretex in winter so this sounds well worth checking out. Cheers!
 benp1 20 Nov 2016

Rab VR is warm, even in Alpine Lite form

Better with the Montane Dyno Stretch. 4 pockets, wire peak, nice cuffs, very stretchy, long arms, easy to layer. Nice cut round neck so layering means your neck isn't garrotted with all the zips and collars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...