UKC

cycle infrastructure expenditure!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 18 Nov 2016
After having a moan to my local council about the changes they recently made to a cycle path I ride to work on In response to my question "why did you choose to make the changes you did rather than an alternative that would be far better" I was informed that Swansea City Council has allocated a massive £44,000 to cycle infrastructure improvements for this year.

That's is a massive 18.18 PENCE per person per year!

And supposedly councils are implementing the "Active travel wales act" to encourage cycling.

Bloody ridiculous.
KevinD 18 Nov 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Not surprising. That said given how many waste it on utterly pointless and/or dangerous splatters of green paint it might be best most dont get more cash.

It will be spent on pointless shit like this:

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk
Post edited at 19:49
OP gethin_allen 18 Nov 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Well they spent some of it removing the segregation of the cycle path down the prom and putting up big signs for a 5 mph speed limit. And the logic for removing the segregation was that there had been an incident where a cyclist hit a pedestrian, so they got rid of the segregation! genius.
 Trevers 20 Nov 2016

It's incredible. Ok, so they clearly hold cyclists in low regard, but the way they talk to cyclists suggests they think cyclists hold themselves in equally low regard. It's like they're talking to children.

I hope you told them they're full of bollocks.
 elsewhere 20 Nov 2016
The normal speed limit signs don't apply unless you are a motor vehicle so fast walkers, joggers and cyclists needn't slow down. However if it is a council bylaw they can apply.

Not that you should be antisocial by running fast or cycling much more than walking pace through crowds.
Post edited at 13:10
 Phil1919 20 Nov 2016

......and an extra 1.3 billion to sort out some of the roads for cars....
OP gethin_allen 20 Nov 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

The signs are blue square things specific for cycling. I doubt they are enforceable as most people don't have a speedometer on their bikes and there's no law to force them to have one.

Regarding cycling quickly through crowds, this wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't removed the segregated cycle lane.
KevinD 20 Nov 2016

> Regarding cycling quickly through crowds, this wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't removed the segregated cycle lane.

How was it segregated? Something more substantial than a line of white paint?
 elsewhere 20 Nov 2016
Blue rectangles are usually advisory information, I looked it up when some "cyclists dismount" signs appeared on a cycle path.
Post edited at 18:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...