UKC

Inspiration E5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimHolmes69 19 Nov 2016
Looking for inspiration for next year or this winter to have a go at some E5s in the peak or Yorkshire. I have done quite a few this year. I don't mind bold, but gear is always a help. Soft touches are welcome. I struggle with cracks? But suggestions are welcome I don't mind esoterica as I climb mainly in Lancashire. Thanks.
 Wizzy 19 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:

Left wall at Brimham has gotta be one of the best E5's going. Safe but a nice runout at the top
In Memorium is an excellent wall climb at Great Wilfrey if you're after something more esoteric
OP JimHolmes69 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Wizzy:

Left wall looks good, it looks steep! Looks like it has reasonable holds on the photos.
 stp 19 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:

If you don't mind bold then Edge Lane at Millstone - only 5c but a long fall to the ground. Next to it is Green Death. Easier for the tall though, used to be E4 which is more realistic if you've got the reach (I think about 5'10 and up is OK). London Wall is there too.

On limestone a lot of old stuff has now been retroed to sport but still very good. But for trad then surely High Tor has to be the place: eg. Tales of Yankee Power, Castellan, and is Supersonic E5 these days?

Chee Tor is another great crag. The Golden Mile, Ceramic Extention (run out but safe). Autobahn is worth doing.

If you include sport (ie. 7a+/7b is E5) then there are lots of great routes. Lots of quality pitches at Cheedale Cornice, Two Tier, Embankment and the Long Wall.

Very good quality but less well known would Ratline at Harpur Hill, E5 6b (7b). Also Power of Soul E5 6b (7b). At Masson Lees both Exorcise and The Masson Chronicles are very good imo despite getting only one star and both E5 6b (7b). The 7a+s there are similarly underrated and very good routes, mostly low E5 6a. Though wait till summer for that wall to dry out.

Yorkshire? Where to start? Maybe Cave Route RH, E5 6a (bordering on E6) at Gordale would be the absolute must do.
 Wizzy 20 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:

The holds are good (don't dyno for the top!). The gear is amazing so just go for it as a ground up- you'll love the experience
 Billg 20 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:
All those mentioned before plus
Strapadictomy on Froggatt
Jermyn St at Millstone
Are both soft touches

Chee tor
Golden mile
Autobahn
Midnight summer dream
are all excellent
OP JimHolmes69 20 Nov 2016
In reply to stp:
Green death is on my list, done very little on limestone for the last 30 years, so I'll need to get a guide book. Worth a look.
Does anybody know anything about Lazy Day at Shining Cliff.
Post edited at 08:32
 deacondeacon 20 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:
I'm only just creeping into E5 really but of the ones I've done none of them are crack climbing.

Left Wall at Brimham- really good, tricky move after tricky move but nothing mega hard. I didn't think it was run out, probably about three foot above your gear is as bad as it gets. Gear is brill, safe as houses.

Strapadictomy at Froggatt- bouldery and safe. Superb gear before you try the hard moves. It climbs a crack but you layback it so it's not real crack climbing.

Bat Out Of Hell at Higgar Tor- pumpy, pumpy, pumpy, again it's nice and safe with only one bouldery move. It's steep but muggy apart from the crux. It does have a little bit of crack climbing but it's on good jams and tbh they feel nice because you're giving your fingers a rest on the steep stuff.

Perfect Day at Gardoms- the is the hardest of the E5's I've done but also the safest. really, really good and gear by your face at every move.
It does have some easy crack climbing to get to the crux (it's about VS/HVS) but you want to climb it well to have some energy at the crux.
Without giving away too much beta (unless you want it) the crux could probably be done about six different ways. My mate used small intermediate crimps to gain height and I dynoed past them.

Traffic Jam at Stoney- I tend to stay off the limestone in winter but this route is quick drying and easy access. Safe (apart from the start moves which are about highball Boulder height and could potentially be tamed with a pad), with one distinct crux. If you have any sport climbing nouse you'll piss it.

They're all of the safer/harder variety so not really helping with your bold style, but it'll give you something to go at.

Edit: I've remembered one bold E5 I've done on grit. The Tempest at Rivelin. I thought it was a bit rubbish (probably cos I headpointed it instead of doing it properly). Crap, rattly gear on forgettable moves, not really inspirational
Post edited at 08:43
 Wizzy 21 Nov 2016
In reply to JimHolmes69:

Lazy day is quite easy. Couple of unprotected balance 5c moves from memory. Then 5b through the overlap at the top (gear)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...