UKC

Lakes today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Big Mountain Man 20 Nov 2016
Anyone out today - on anything?
 Johnsulli 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Mountain Man:

Got out on sharp edge today. Snow still powdery and not consolidated. Reckon turfy routes won't be fully frozen yet. Plenty of snow, with any luck we'll have a freeze thaw cycle to bring in some climbing conditions soon.
 Mike Hewitt 20 Nov 2016

Was up on Helvellyn this afternoon (just running) quite a lot of soft snow has built-up this last week, I wouldn't fancy climbing on it yet.
 shantaram 20 Nov 2016

Out running along the Helvelyn range today. Lots of unconsolidated powdery snow and the turf/ground underneath is not properly frozen. It needs a bit of freeze thaw action to get some good climbing conditions. This week looks like it has the potential to do that.
 glaramara 20 Nov 2016

Based on my walk/swim yesterday, the lakes are swamped in snow but ground not frozen. Pinnacle ridge on st sundays would be a good choice for now I reckon.
Big Mountain Man 21 Nov 2016
In reply to glaramara:

Cheers guys - Yeah I went for a warm swim up Red Screes nothing consolidated but lots of potential.
Do keep it posted please
 Mike Hewitt 21 Nov 2016
In reply to shantaram:

Mind sharing what shoes you were wearing? My feet were a wee bit chilly caked in snow all afternoon!
 shantaram 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

I was wearing a pair if Inov8s with summer socks. I ended up with fully snowed and iced up shoes with the lower parts of my leggings like icy gaiters. Like you my feet were well cold. I often wear Sealskins socks in winter to keep my feet warm, but stupidly forgot them yesterday. I underestimated how deep and unconsolidated the snow was especially from Raise to Clough Head. Proper wading/swimming conditions, although descending Clough Head by the BG route was fun.
 Sophie G. 22 Nov 2016
In reply to glaramara:

Hey, Mr B, you're back in Britain? Brilliant. Come and climb in Scotland. You know where to find me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...