UKC

Trail Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 20 Nov 2016
I am going to do my first full trail marathon and would be really grateful for some advice.

Usually, when I run I have Asics Gel Kayanos, which are good. They are supportive as I over pronate, as I suspect a lot of runners do. The trail marathon will be in a couple of weeks and muddy. I am wanting a bit of advice on what is helping the over-pronator and what will be good in the mud.

With thanks
 SouthernSteve 20 Nov 2016
In reply to thelostjockey:

I would just run in those as the race is only a couple of weeks away. The goretex GEL-FUJITRABUCO would be similar, but your should try them in the shop and wear them in a bit. I changed to new shoes before a race a little while ago and regretted it!
Hi mate I agree with what that other guy said, probs a bit late to be changing shoes.

For what is worth however I wear gel kayanos too, and am on my 8th pair now. They are pretty uncomfortable when they get waterlogged as they have a lot of support.

My trail shoes are salomon fell raisers and they are perfect. I have done up to 14 m in the hills only however, and not a full marathon. I would say that over pronation is less of an issue on a proper trail/fell run, as the ground is almost all completely uneven. Likewise you need less support (provided your ankles are strong) on the sole as the ground is softer.

Just my thoughts.
Post edited at 21:42
OP thelostjockey 21 Nov 2016

Very helpful, thank you.
 tony 21 Nov 2016

Support for pronation is much less important on trails than it is for roads. I run on roads with Brooks Adrenalines, which are very supportive, but run on trails with all sorts, including fairly lightweight Inov8s, which don't offer anywhere near as much support.

Given the time from now to the event, it's probably not worth getting different shoes, but if you're going to do more trail races, I'd suggest investigating trail shoes with decent gnarly soles.
 TMM 21 Nov 2016

I am broadly in agreement with the other view here:
Might be a bit late to change shoes
Nowhere near as much need for cushioning or support with trail/off road shoes

However...
For me the decision would be based on the terrain for the race. If the trail is like a forestry access track, hard packed and fairly dry then your Kayanos may be fine. If the trail is on woodland paths or moorland then it is likely to very waterlogged and muddy now in which your Kayanos will offer you no grip, will be waterlogged and heavy, will require significantly more energy as you look to find traction and could cause you to slip/roll an ankle.
I would research the course and think about an alternative shoe.
For hard packed dry trails where the only water will from rain or small puddles the a Gore-Tex liner is nice but not necessary. If it is going to be wet and muddy and you are likely to be plunging into water that goes over the top of the shoe forget Gore-Tex and instead look for a light and free draining shoe.
 Dave B 21 Nov 2016

I would disagree with the 'its too late mentality' to some extent. It will depend on the type of trail. If it were to be hardpack for most of the way or deeep mud, then probably kayanos will be OK, but otherwise falling over, sliding and so on something I'd be keen to avoid at the risk of maybe a blister or two... I guess the big risk would be something like ITB kicking in from different prontation characteristics..

I'm thinking that it would be easy to end up walking most of the way in Kayanos not having a grip good enough to run often....

Research the course.

Stick to Asics if you can... Else try something on, buy the best you can and run in it for 2 miles building to about 5-6 before the day...

wbo 21 Nov 2016
In reply to thelostjockey: id agree with the above. I ran a lot of off road miles in Kayanos but they're not great on wet and mud. If you decide to get a trail shoe get an asics shoe or something that feelssimilar. Whats the drop like on the latest Kayanos? Some of the lighter trail shoes have much less drop than road shoes, and you might adapt straight away, or you might not and mile 18 of a marathon is a bad place to experiment.

ianstevens 21 Nov 2016
In reply to TMM:

> I am broadly in agreement with the other view here:

> Might be a bit late to change shoes

> Nowhere near as much need for cushioning or support with trail/off road shoes

> However...

> For me the decision would be based on the terrain for the race. If the trail is like a forestry access track, hard packed and fairly dry then your Kayanos may be fine. If the trail is on woodland paths or moorland then it is likely to very waterlogged and muddy now in which your Kayanos will offer you no grip, will be waterlogged and heavy, will require significantly more energy as you look to find traction and could cause you to slip/roll an ankle.

> I would research the course and think about an alternative shoe.

> For hard packed dry trails where the only water will from rain or small puddles the a Gore-Tex liner is nice but not necessary. If it is going to be wet and muddy and you are likely to be plunging into water that goes over the top of the shoe forget Gore-Tex and instead look for a light and free draining shoe.

Your second point is far more imporant in my eyes. You can easily adjust to a new pair of shoes in a few weeks - just go running in them. This can be made easier by getting a pair with a similar footbed profile and drop. In this instance, a suitable (i.e. off-road shoe) is essential - you WILL slip, slide and fall over on a trail in road shoes at the moment. That will be far slower and more likely to give you an injury than a not-quite-worn in shoe.
OP thelostjockey 22 Nov 2016

Great and informative discussion. Very good to have your advice--thank you all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...