UKC

Knee Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 21 Nov 2016
I've got a persistent pain just below one knee cap. Not at the sides, but in behind the bottom of the kneecap. I can walk and climb, but running just hurts. I've had physio and a couple of weeks of exercises, but it's still pretty sore if I run on it. Initially I thought it was tendonitis. It's probably been about three weeks now and it doest seem to be responding to the physio. I'm going medical tomorrow to get a referral for a scan in case it's some kind of tear. I fear a bit of key hole surgery might be the next step. Anybody have any experience of something similar or experiences of recovery times from meniscus tears?
 Simon Caldwell 21 Nov 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I had a meniscal tear repaired by keyhole surgery and was winter climbing about 6 weeks later, and ran the GL3D after 3 months. Others are less fortunate of course.

I was back at the GP last month with what I thought was the return of the same problem, as the symptoms matched. But it wasn't at all, it was Patella Tendonitis (jumpers knee). It's taken about 8 weeks of rest and gentle exercise since it first started hurting but I think it's pretty much OK now.

Which is a long winded way of saying that you shouldn't self diagnose or ask advice about such things on the interweb Knees are particularly bad for having different things go wrong with them, and the treatment for one could make a different one worse. Your best bet (easier said than done) is to find a GP or Physio with enough relevant experience to get the diagnosis right (or refer you to someone else who can).
OP alastairmac 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks Simon. It's really helpful to hear about your experience.....and I'll try hard to leave any diagnosis to the experts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...