UKC

Austria family trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sealwife 22 Nov 2016
Am considering a trip to Austria next summer with Mr S and kids (9, 12 & 14).

Realistically, I know bigger peaks and multi- pitching are not going to be possible on my family holiday, so I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment by thinking about it.

What I'm after are recommendations for areas with some relatively accessible walking, cragging, maybe via Ferrata and good family accommodation. Have heard hotels/chalets can be as cheap as camping during summer in Austria but not sure if this is the case.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
 tjekel 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

hotels won't be as cheap, but alpine club huts will be.

some suggestions ... west to east

ötztal has childfriendly crags, easy and not so easy VF, and some very easy 3000m peaks that may be possible with children;

similar offerings, although with a little more seriousness, is availlable in Zillertal, with lots of bouldering included.

For sheer variety, I rate Dachstein and Gosaukamm up there with the best - climbing, some easy to reach summits, lots of different via ferratas and some small glaciers thrown in; crags availlable as well, and caves.
 Toerag 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Deffo do a night in a mountain hut somewhere, it'll be a great adventure/experience for the kids. If you book in advance during the week you'll probably get a family room and avoid the potential unpleasantness of a crowded dorm. I've not done much in Austria, but this is what I have done (as day trips):-
Mittenwalder Hohenweg VF - technically easy and not particularly dangerous, but a spectacular ridge. Easy access via cablecar, then more or less downhill all the way. The descent to the Brunnstein hut is a bit hard on the knees, but you can have a nice beer or coffee at the hut. You may see Chamois / Ibex if you're lucky like we did.
Lachenspitz kletterstieg - a modern, safe mid-grade VF. We took the Vogelbahn cablecar up and walked a reasonable way to get to it. Great views from the top and there's a big hut at the bottom by the lake (Landsberger Hutte). Lots of paragliders by the Vogelbahn. Don't do the descent to the NE from the Lachenspitze - it's gravelly and unpleasant/dangerous, go down the 'tourist path' to the SE.
I like the idea of doing the VF around the Drachensee / Cobourger hutte and have an overnight plan for doing those.
 cragtyke 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Have a look at the Zillertal and Mayrhofen websites, the Vf's in the area are all easily accessible in about 5 mins from the road, http://www.mayrhofen.at/fileadmin/userdaten/mayrhofen_at/dokumente/Infobl%C... this will give you an idea. Plenty of other activities as well and great walking either using the lifts or in the national park.

Solden is also a good centre in Otztal, some of the accommodation there includes free otztal cards which give you free public transport, a free ascent and descent each day on the lifts, free swimming and even half a days free mtb hire, really offsets the additional cost. Probably better for accessible cragging than zillertal for accessible cragging at moosalm and oberreid, plenty of Vf's and walking, biking etc, see the otztal tourist site.
we flew to munich and hired a car there about £250-300 for a fortnight this year, 2-3 hr drive from there.
 tkchips 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Like Tjkel I would recommend the Dachstein region, having spent a few months there, and really appreciated the variety of stuff available, the via ferrata are pretty enjoyable, and there is a range of difficulties to get up to speed. There's river rafting available near schladming, and lots of hiking.

Regarding accommodation, a friend out there runs waldschloessl in ramsau, and speaks good english/climbs. And the location is pretty spectacular.

And there is plenty of climbing around, there was a crag near to one of the huts (Possibly sudwand-hutte but don't quote me), think mountain-unlimited was a good place for topos.
 Ian Parsons 23 Nov 2016
In reply to tjekel:

As a slight aside, and purely out of personal interest, is anyone aware of any recent development on the small south-facing crag in the gorge just above Vent? It doesn't seem to feature in any of the resources that I've looked at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...