/ XC Skiing Nov/Dec

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
planetmarshall on 23 Nov 2016
Looking for some early season XC Skiing ( As in Nordic track skiing ) in Europe reachable from Brussels ( by Air, most likely ). I know about Lillehammer, obviously. Took a look at Les Rousses but snow cover there looks 'thin' to say the least!

Any other good destinations for a weekend?

Cheers,
Andrew.
OwenM - on 23 Nov 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Harz Mountains south east of Hanover. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=harz%20na...
November/December is still very early.
Doug on 23 Nov 2016
I suspect November/early December is early for anywhere in Europe. How much in advance do you need to book? - I've skied in the Vosges & Jura in early December some years, but other years had to wait till January; similar story elsewhere at the altitudes with track skiing unless you go to the far north.
Post edited at 19:52
TobyA on 23 Nov 2016

Lapland would work if you can get there at a reasonable price Ylläs has 70 kms of trails open, although that is of 330. http://www.yllas.fi/en/
planetmarshall on 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Doug:

> I suspect November/early December is early for anywhere in Europe.

Yeah thought it might be a bit early yet. I note Chamonix is opening early - might get some downhill practice in instead.
ads.ukclimbing.com
kenr - on 24 Nov 2016

Good place to bet for higher-altitude groomed-track skiing is the Northern French Alps
... already some trails open ...
* Bessans
* Les Saisies
* Savoie Grand Revard - (La Feclaz, Le Revard)
. . . (by Chambery and Annecy, close to the A41 motorway)

All three also have pretty interesting trail networks. Because of that, La Feclaz is my favorite place to ski in the world.

Savoie Grand Revard has 2 trails open already, Les Saisies has 5 or more, Bessans only a little (but their webcam shows snow).

Lot of skiers drive from Belgium to the northern French Alps.

other options ...
Alpe d'Huez has higher altitude, but not very interesting trail network.
Argentiere (by Chamonix) could be considered based on altitude, but not as fun trail network as the three above.

Ken
Post edited at 03:13

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.