UKC

Ex-Army Goretex Bivvi Bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bogwalloper 23 Nov 2016
I'm looking for a budget Goretex bivvi bag.
Anyone any experience of the 30 quid ex-army bags available on ebay?

Cheers,

Wally
 tjin 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Dpending on which one you mean, but i remember mine being almost as heavy as my tent...
 benp1 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

They're big, very robust, and pretty effective. They're heavy though, c. 800g
Bogwalloper 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Cheers, probably more bothered about robustness at the moment rather than weight so might have a look at one.

Wally
 robhorton 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

As the others have said they are heavy but do the job. And genuine ones have a very distinctive aroma.
 guy127917 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

They are variable- I have one which is absolutely bomber in all conditions (~800g). My partner bought one recently which looked the same, but is much flimsier, and the drawcord closure doesnt really work- the fabric bunches up too tightly so it cant get anywhere near fully closed. Not sure how you would tell the difference from the ads.
 Sam B 23 Nov 2016

They're usually in pretty good nick on account of being indestructible. One thing worth noting, though, is that they're designed for soldiers wishing to keep a low profile. This means a) no hoop, and b) green.

Regarding a), if you get rained on, there will be puddles on top of you. Snow piles up too: it just doesn't have the half-cylinder shape you get with a hooped bivvi. Water on top of you is cold, and the bag isn't breathable if water or snow is covering its surface. Squaddies seem to just plonk it on the ground and climb inside whatever the weather. However, I have really struggled with them, when used without a tent, tarpaulin fly sheet, or some kind of natural shelter.

Regarding b), in an emergency, you will be less visible to MRTs, Sea Kings etc. You also won't spoil people's view quite as much as you would if you were day-glow. Make of that what you will.

Overall, £20-30 is a fantastic price for a bivvi bag. (It's also by far the cheapest way to obtain Goretex for making stuff like ponchos, when you look at the £/m^2.) However, think about whether the lack of a semi-circular hoop will be inconvenient for you, wherever you might be going, given the level of other shelter available.
 Matt Amos 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

I picked mine up a few years ago from a surplus store for about 30 quid. It has always kept me dry, I even once turned it upside down sleeping in torrential rain. They are heavy, but you have more space for things like a pack or boots. I think it's one of the best sleeping gear purchases I've made.
Bogwalloper 23 Nov 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks for the answers everyone - for 30 quid it's got to worth a punt.

Wally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...