UKC

Cheap alternative to tenacious tape to patch cheap waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 23 Nov 2016

I have some Decathlon own brand waterproof trousers, in which I've removed the mesh lining and, after the zips broke, have sewn either side of the zip together at intervals along them, so that they keep the worst of the rain off and are breathable enough too, for doing conservation work in.

With them not costing a lot in the first place, and them probably eventually being trashed from the rigours of doing conservation, what's a cheaper decent alternative to tenacious tape for patching up rips and tears in them with, and waterproofing any repairs I've sewn together with a needle and thread?

Thanks.
Post edited at 15:08
 Smythson 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

After sewing i use pound shop shoe repair glue or similar. Currently using 151 Fantastic Elastic Flexible Glue in a red tube. Just a smear a bead over the repair and you're good to go. My gaiters are currently more glue than gaiter and still do the job.

Best,

S
 Mike-W-99 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I've used gaffer tape on my bike water proofs with varying levels of success.
OP Timmd 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes, it's the varying levels I'm trying to get away from.
 Fiona Reid 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

FWIW, the gaffer tape bodge on my trousers fell off this morning and I've replaced it with two strips of tenacious tape.

Other folks on here have recommended spinnaker tape for repairing waterproofs etc but I've not tried it. It looks like it's a bit cheaper than tenacious tape. I guess if it's designed to hold sails together it must be reasonably durable...
In reply to Timmd:

Betrafol tape is probably the best repair tape you can get. http://www.betatape.de/produkte/artikel/betrafol

It is vapour barrier tape used by carpenters and is available in german speaking countries. It is very flexible, very sticky and can be washed again and again. Unlike Tenacious Tape, which quickly cracks and eventually disintegrates.

I brought my roll from Ebay. It cost about £20 but you get 25m of tape, enough to probably last a decade.

HTH
OP Timmd 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
Blimey, cheers. That's amazing value, just what I was after - with a pack of much less tenacious tape costing around £8.

All kind of things one could use it for in the repairing and adapting of waterproofs and repairing gear. Great stuff.

You can buy it from German ebay I've just found. Excellent.
Post edited at 17:10
OP Timmd 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:
Ta anyway though.

Many thanks, all.
Post edited at 17:42
In reply to Timmd:

Or you can buy iron-on seam seal tape for about £1/m

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/650...

Not ideal for field use, of course...
 ian.morrissey 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Spinnaker repair tape. Comes in lots of colours and does not come off in the wash.
 The Potato 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I think you can get zinc oxide tape from chemists which works well
 CHarrison 23 Nov 2016
Gorilla tape works wonders.
Not sure on the costs though, I keep nicking my dads whenever I go home
 yoshis1220 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:
I use park tool clear bike repair patches. Cheap and uber sticky and tougher than the waterproof fabric! Bike sticky clear chain slap protector works too and you can cut it to size.
 tjin 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I just sewn hole close and than apply seamsealer. Very strong repair, won't detach and the seamsealer protect the threads and make it waterproof.
 tallsteve 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Polyethelene melts at low temperatures - i.e. steam iron temperature. Find a polyethelene bag - it'll have a PE recycling mark on it and probably be crlear. Often used for packing electronic items made in China.
- Cut a strip to cover your fix.
- Find some nylon off say another old waterproof and defunct brolly.
- Cut a strip of nylon the same size as your PE strip.
- Layer as follows from bottom up; Greese proof paper, repaired item, PE strip, Nylon strip, more greese proof paper.
- Set your iron to steam heat, but turn off the water or empty.
- Iron until the PE starts to melt and show at the edges of the nylon. Try to avoid ironing the fabric around - a small piece of wood under the whole thing will lift the area to be ironed nicely if you're fussy.
- Remove iron and don't move until the PE cools, or if in a hurry spray with cold water.
- Smile smugly to self at saving a few pennies.
 ebdon 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Sew it up then seamgrip as others have said. Allthough it does make you look like you're covered in snot.
OP Timmd 26 Nov 2016
In reply to CHarrison:
> Gorilla tape works wonders.

> Not sure on the costs though, I keep nicking my dads whenever I go home

At 22 it's exactly what you should be doing.

Make the most of having your folk(s) around.
Post edited at 15:45
 Ridge 26 Nov 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Or you can buy iron-on seam seal tape for about £1/m

> Not ideal for field use, of course...

Heretic.

Why would anyone use the same stuff that waterproof manufacturers use and that can be easily and cheaply applied for a permanent repair when they can spend more time and money bodging it every few months?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...