UKC

Advice pls: Chamonix trips for older person?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spike 23 Nov 2016
All,

Am seeking advice from those familiar with Alps, in partic Mont Blanc area. My father climbed many routes there 50 or so years ago and now has a "bucket list" for his 80th year including trying to get back to see the same area at as close a range as possible.
I'd looked up the Aiguille du Midi lift options http://www.chamonix.net/english/leisure/sightseeing/aiguille-du-midi which look to offer some really good viewing options, but I was wondering whether those more familiar with the area might have some other options.
Despite a few knee operations my Dad can still walk a few miles but I wouldn't want to risk any glacier traverse unless v safe, would welcome any suggestions in addition to the Aiguille du Midi options where we might have a safe, but high walk.
Thanks in advance.
S
 Doug 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:
I took my partner who struggles to walk very far onto the balcon sud, walking from the top of the la Flegere cablecar to the refuge lac blanc - very easy but (weather permitting) great views across to les aiguilles & Mt Blanc. If he can walk the distance its possible to continue as far as the Col du Montet from where you can walk a little further (maybe to Argentière) & get the train back to Chamonix (free if you have the Chamonix visitors card)
 Tony the Blade 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:

As mentioned, there are two Balcon walks... the other one goes from Plan de l'Aiguille to Montenvers (Or visa versa), you can start at Plan de l'Aiguille via the Midi téléphérique and finish with the train back to Chamonix from Montenvers, it's a lovely, fairly level walk.

More info here: http://www.chamonix.com/grand-balcon-nord-plan-de-l-aiguille-du-midi-monten...

HammondR 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:
If you go for the lac Blanc option it is a cracking place to have a night at the hut. Arrive late afternoon, quiet beer on the terrace, then a 3 course meal with wine in the evening. Then off to the Col du Montets, maybe up to the Col du Belvedere, or retrace your steps to the lift the next day. Did this with the present Mrs HammondR a few years ago and she loved it.

Be careful with any of the lift options other than the Midi as many of them close at the end of the ski season, and only reopen in the school summer holidays.

Other good trips over there are to go on the panoramic lift across the Valley Blanche to Helbronner from the top of the Midi (or go under the tunnel to Italy and go up the new Helbronner lift), or take the train from St Gervais up to the Nid d'Aigle with corking views of the Bionnassay aspect of the range.

nutme 23 Nov 2016
I am 32 and was considering myself an old shit..
My dad is ancient alpinist of 74 and he finds much easier and better to ski in his age. How about your papa? Can he ski?
Removed User 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:

As well as the Midi lift consider the Brevant lift as it gives possibly the best views of Mont Blanc and the Chamonix Aiguilles. If your father can manage the distance, the walk from the Brevant mid station to the Flegere lift also gives stunning views and only has a height difference of a couple of hundred meters and takes aprox 2 hours. The Flegere-Lac Blanc walk involves a 600m climb and descent. 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way. If you chose to descend via col de Montet the descent is 900m and very steep and rocky in places including a short section of ladder.
It will totally depend on how far your father can walk and how stable he is on uneven paths as even though the walks are relatively easy the terrain is far from flat.
OP Spike 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:

thank you all for your help - some really good suggestions - I can make a plan now.

Cheers
S
 Shapeshifter 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Spike:

Loads of good suggestions above. Some useful info here for free

https://www.chamonet.com/walking/routes/

and I've found this a good all round things to do around Chamonix if you want a guidebook

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/663/title/chamonix-mounta...

Hope you and your Dad have a great time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...