/ Anyone used Alpkit CarbonLite poles?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Fenda - on 24 Nov 2016
I've been looking at the Alpkit CarbonLite poles. They're very light and go for only 49 pounds.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/carbonlite-pair

I emailed their support team asking about baskets and they said the ones that come with it are fairly small. Has anyone tried attaching snow baskets to them? I plan to use these in winter conditions.
guy127917 - on 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

I have a pair, have found them pretty good as a basic pole. They are very light and cheap, the cons being they dont fold down very small (not really a big issue) and being twist lock, the bottom section does collapse occasionally. I haven't trie snow baskets with them, but would be interested if you find some that fit...
Babika - on 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

Depends where and how much use to intend to give them I guess.

My friend has a carbon pair by another manufacturer and has snapped them twice while we've been out together in winter.

Given the abuse they can take in descent I think rufty- tuftiness is preferable, even if it means a few more grams.
neuromancer - on 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

32g more per pole

karrimor carbons?

flicklock and less than half the price?
galpinos on 25 Nov 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Mike Ashley/Sports Direct?

Mal Grey - on 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Fenda:

I have a pair of the Alpkit poles, and rate them highly except for the baskets, which have both broken. I keep meaning to e-mail them as I'm sure they'll send out another set, customer service is always good. The poles themselves are good quality, don't "slip" and are very light indeed. I had a pair of cheapo carbonfibres once which broke very quickly, but these are a step up apart from the baskets.

ads.ukclimbing.com
Fenda - on 25 Nov 2016
I ended up going for the new CAMP Sky Carbon poles. Found them on deal for 77 quid and they've had pretty good reviews so far. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8644

Snow baskets are essential to me. Also, having flicklock over twist and a smaller collapsed size eventually won me over.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.