UKC

Refuse Collectors or Litter Louts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 24 Nov 2016
When our refuse gets collected there is invariably a trail along the road where the bin men have dropped some of the bin contents and not bothered to pick it up.

I have drawn their attention to it on a number of occasions but my comments seem to fall on deaf ears. Yesterday I saw one of them attempt to toss the contents of a neighbour's food bin into the vehicle from about seven or eight feet away. Needless to say he missed and left the evidence on the road.

I am now thinking that they might take heed if they are reported for littering. The powers that be would soon act if it was Joe Public dropping litter.

I wonder, do the careless actions of bin men constitute littering?
 Trangia 24 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Yes.

We get the same problem around here too. They can be a surly lot, not much pride in their work. But then it's not exactly a very sexy job.......
OP FesteringSore 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> But then it's not exactly a very sexy job.......
Agreed but if they get paid to do it...

gethin_allen 24 Nov 2016

It used to be broken glass every other week in my area, I was always fixing punctures on my commuter bike until I contacted the council about it. Since then they seem to be more careful with the glass bins but still manage to throw everything else all over the floor.
 john arran 24 Nov 2016

> The powers that be would soon act if it was Joe Public dropping litter.

Really?
Lusk 24 Nov 2016

It's probably due to bins being full to overflowing because collections have been made at least every two weeks, thanks to the %$£&ing Tories slashing Council budgets.
OP FesteringSore 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> It's probably due to bins being full to overflowing because collections have been made at least every two weeks, thanks to the %$£&ing Tories slashing Council budgets.

Except that none of our neighbours overfill their bins. If rubbish were to fall out of the bin in the unlikely event of it being overfull I suspect that it is incumbent upon the bin men to ensure that it is NOT left on the road or pavement where it would would be a hazard for any one of a number of reasons.

We moved here in 2011 and for many years, at our previous location, the same behaviour prevailed and that was even before the Tory led coalition government but hey, living on the edge of Wales, we've got a Labour government anyway. It's easy to blame the government(if you happen to dislike them) for the shoddy working practices of the shop floor.
 Dax H 24 Nov 2016

Exactly the same round here with added leaving of the empty bins in the middle of the path.
A few years back they went on strike and it was great.
Contractors were brought in, no rubbish left on the streets and the empty bins left against the garden walls instead of the middle of the path.
 Big Ger 24 Nov 2016

We have no bin men, just one bloke driving a lorry which does it all.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wcTtSATfhYU/hqdefault.jpg
 fred99 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Dax H:

What gets me is that where I live they always return the bins by blocking the gateways, with the handle (and hence wheels) at the opposite side, making it difficult to move the bin out of the way.
Not only is this awkward for the residents, it means the Postman can't get past to put letters into the letterboxes.
 GrahamD 25 Nov 2016
In reply to fred99:

Sounds like I must be the only place in the country that doesn't have a gripe about bin men !
 Jenny C 25 Nov 2016

Not really a problem with the black (general waste) bin but you can tell when it's blue (recycling) bin day by the stream of plastic bottles and paper scattered over the street.

Regarding less frequent collections on the whole I am in favour (although smaller bins and more frequent collections would be even better), however in summer if you have a holiday the bin can be very unpleasantly stinky if it's left with stuff in it for up to 6 weeks.
ceri 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Jenny C: is that if you go on holiday? Can't you get a neighbour to put your bin out? I don't imagine the bin men take a 6 week holiday! When we have bank holidays bin collection happens the following weekend.

Jenny C 25 Nov 2016
In reply to ceri:
Neighbours probably would be happy to do bin dutys, but don't like to ask as they are elderly.
 Sherlock 25 Nov 2016
Not always the bin-men.Careless neighbours who can't be bothered to put a brick or similar on the lbin lid even when it's blowing a hoolie..............

gethin_allen 25 Nov 2016
In reply to ceri:

> is that if you go on holiday? Can't you get a neighbour to put your bin out?

We haven't got wheelie bins, alleys, or space to keep bins out front so I keep my black bin (non recyclable stuff) out the back garden so getting the neighbours to put my bin out would involve them climbing over my back fence and taking my stuff through their house. Not going to happen is it?

The last black bin day they didn't actually take my black bag so that will be some nice ripe month old waste for the next collection.

In reply to Big Ger:

A lorry that could drink massive pints of lager!

Yep. You can always tell when it's bin day as the street litter is at its worst down our way.
 Cheese Monkey 25 Nov 2016

I always know it's bin day when the bins get emptied.
ceri 25 Nov 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

But you can't blame the council for a 6 week stinky bin if the problem is caused by you being away on bin day rather than them not collecting
Jim C 26 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> We get the same problem around here too. They can be a surly lot, not much pride in their work. But then it's not exactly a very sexy job.......

Being a bin man ( dustman) today is a dream come true job in comparison to what I remember from the 1960's in Glasgow
There was a hole in the brick 'midden' at the bottom of the garden, and everything was tipped loose into it, and once week a truck would arrive in the service lane, the bin man would get in amongst the accumulated refuge with a shovel and move it from the midden and out on the the open truck. Hard and smelly work, and in the summer 10 times worse.
Slightly better were the tin 'bins' ,but the binmen still had to lift them on their shoulders and some distance into the refuge vehicle .

By these standards, the current 'Binmen ' have it really easy, the modern bins have wheels a lid to seal in the smells , and the lorry has lifts for the bins.Very little for the Binmen to do in comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7GeZ3YmONw&
Jim C 26 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> We get the same problem around here too. They can be a surly lot, not much pride in their work. But then it's not exactly a very sexy job.......

Being a bin man ( dustman) today is a dream come true job in comparison to what I remember from the 1960's in Glasgow
There was a hole in the brick 'midden' at the bottom of the garden, and everything was tipped loose into it, and once week a truck would arrive in the service lane, the bin man would get in amongst the accumulated refuge with a shovel and move it from the midden and out on the the open truck. Hard and smelly work, and in the summer 10 times worse.
Slightly better were the tin 'bins' ,but the binmen still had to lift them on their shoulders and some distance into the refuge vehicle .

By these standards, the current 'Binmen ' have it really easy, the modern bins have wheels a lid to seal in the smells , and the lorry has lifts for the bins.Very little for the Binmen to do in comparison.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7GeZ3YmONw&

The binmen round our way are very conscientious and always pick up every bit of rubbish!

youtube.com/watch?v=6m3D82OWXmo&
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2016

Anyone else remember this?

youtube.com/watch?v=KerNMOYS4cI&
 birdie num num 26 Nov 2016

The golden days when bin men wore leather waistcoats and staggered up the drive with a stinking galvanised steel bin on their backs, a fish bone draped over the rim, are long gone. All the hard work is done by us.
Today's refuse disposal consultants have it too easy.
OP FesteringSore 26 Nov 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> Today's refuse disposal consultants have it too easy.

At our local council dump they swagger around wearing high visibility jackets emblazoned across the back with "Recycling Adviser".

They can call themselves what they bloody well like...

In reply to Hugh J:

> The binmen round our way are very conscientious and always pick up every bit of rubbish!

Bin (and) gone
 Duncan Bourne 26 Nov 2016

Not sure where you live but the litter should be picked up and should be reported to the council. This was a problem where we live but now bin men have a litter picker with them.
Generally yo will have a driver moving slowly down the road and a team of bim men "feeding" the back with wheelie bins.
In the past a lot of problems were caused by the system of job-and-knock, whereby as soon as their round was done they could go home. This got rounds done quickly (bin men would often run to keep up with the wagon) but made it a bit slapdash with regard to litter and was a health and safety nightmare. However the new system of sticking to fixed hours has brought its own problems as now binmen walk round but often don't complete a round and as they have different teams for different days missed streets do not always get picked up on so bins can end up not getting emptied for weeks
Jim C 26 Nov 2016

> Bin (and) gone

Brilliant footage, now they have no mail box and no bin.
 Jenny C 26 Nov 2016
In reply to ceri:

> But you can't blame the council for a 6 week stinky bin if the problem is caused by you being away on bin day rather than them not collecting

I'm not, but it is a flaw of fortnightly collections which I am sure affects a lot of people during the hottest months of the year.

Personally I can easily get away (volume wise) with a monthly collection and when we had weekly collections often didn't bother putting the bin out each week during the cooler months. However in the height of summer even after a week the bin can get a little ripe and if you miss a collection, leaving the contents to fester for four weeks (never mind six) is not ideal.
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2016

> At our local council dump they swagger around wearing high visibility jackets emblazoned across the back with "Recycling Adviser".

> They can call themselves what they bloody well like...

Ours go by the moniker of; "your resource management team"

Jenny C 26 Nov 2016

Recycling collection on Thursday, so today litter picked our street - box now contains a good collection of beer cans and pop bottles
In reply to Big Ger:

> Ours go by the moniker of; "your resource management team"

Bit like the slogan on the back of the vehicle ours arrive in: "Your recycling team at work". Bloody stupid slogan.
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2016

Agreed.
OP FesteringSore 30 Nov 2016
Refuse collection day today. Usual trail of rubbish to which I drew the attention of the "Recycling Team". Did I really expect them to be anything but unreasonable and gobby?
I spoke to one in calm level tones only to be interrupted by another saying that "stuff gets blown about by the wind" NO wind here today! Told them that if it persists I will be reporting them for littering(rapidly walks away)

robal 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:

1/10

as its been pointed out the %$£&ing labour party was in when they dropped to 1 collection in every 2 weeks.

we could just burn it the rubbish http://austinchudmuffin.tumblr.com/post/23795260085/charlie-oh-im-sorry-i-c...
 The New NickB 30 Nov 2016
In reply to robal:

> 1/10

> as its been pointed out the %$£&ing labour party was in when they dropped to 1 collection in every 2 weeks.

That will very much depend on the Council area you live in. Certainly were I live, it was after 2010 when by-weekly collection was brought in.
 arch 30 Nov 2016

> Refuse collection day today.

And for us. Both Green bins are still half full, I'd imagine the frost is to blame for that one (or 19st jumping up and down on it in an attempt to get more in)

Our biggest problem however, is the receptacles we are provided with. Hessian type bags for paper and cardboard. The lids Velcro on, but there is a large gap, and when it's windy, it all blows out and seems to congregate on our front lawn somehow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...