UKC

Photoshop image saving problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 24 Nov 2016
Normally when working on an image I send various jpegs out at different stages to the client, and normally when I go into "save as" with my working file and try to save as a jpeg it asks me if I want to overwrite the previous jpeg? To which I say yes and it does so.
However recently when I try try to overwrite a previous jpeg with the updated version it goes through the same process (do I want to overwrite etc.) but then at the last minute says file X is already open and can not be overwritten even if file X is NOT open and hasn't been open for the past 3 days.
Anyone know what's the solution. I can of course delete or re-name the previous jpeg file but it is a bloody faff to have to keep doing this
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I'm not sure what the problem is if that jpeg file is definitely not open. But surely 'saving as' a jpeg with a slightly different name is no great hassle? Very often you are tailor-making a jpeg for a particularly client, so it needs to be identified as the one you're sending to them. As a general rule, of course, try not to rework jpegs but use a .psd master (if you only have a jpeg to start with, immediately save it as a Photoshop document). Then all future jpegs can be made from that, without any extra-generation loss of quality.
 Big Ger 24 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I'm not sure what the problem is if that jpeg file is definitely not open. But surely 'saving as' a jpeg with a slightly different name is no great hassle?

Agreed, I use "kangaroo in grass 1" "kangaroo in grass 2" etc

Sharp 25 Nov 2016
I take it that that is after you have restarted the system? If it says it's open then it most likely is, could be explorer, bridge, one of adobe's background processes maybe. Have you gone through all your open processes and killed them individually to see if you can find what has it open?
Post edited at 07:38
OP Duncan Bourne 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I generally do that it is more when I have made additions/corrections to the final image that it is a hassle. It also means I have to periodically delete a load of incimental images rather than simply overwriting one
OP Duncan Bourne 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Sharp:

> I take it that that is after you have restarted the system? If it says it's open then it most likely is, could be explorer, bridge, one of adobe's background processes maybe. Have you gone through all your open processes and killed them individually to see if you can find what has it open?

If I restart the computer the problem doesn't arise. It is (as i just said to Gordon) when I want to make minor changes to a file. So say I send off the final image and the clients asks for a minor change. I can go back to the original PSD image and edit but then if I want to save it as a jpeg I can't save it as a straight jpeg if I have already opened and then closed the previous jpeg. I have to either give it a different file name or go into the documents folder and drag the previous jpeg file to trash. It will not simply overwrite it.
 MeMeMe 25 Nov 2016

I'd check that something else doesn't have the file open -

http://serverfault.com/questions/1966/how-do-you-find-what-process-is-holdi...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...