/ Beinn Luibhean

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Flinticus - on 25 Nov 2016
A possibility tomorrow. Been up via the south from Rest and Be Thankful. Thinking of an ascent from Butterbridge.

What's the north shoulder like? Steep? Too risky with a dog in tow? Forecast is for about 5 degrees C tomorrow. What kind of surface could I expect on the snow? Some give to rock hard? If good footing rather than scrapping along glass hard snow in crampons, would seem viable.
Mark Bull - on 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> What's the north shoulder like? Steep?

I've been down that way: nothing worse than some moderately steep grass. There's a path beside the burn - it's probably worth staying on this a bit beyond the top of the forestry to avoid some rocky outcrops low down. You can return via the Bealach a' Mhargaidh to make a wee circuit.

Can't imagine the snow has consolidated very much - thin soft snow on top of wet grass will likely be the worst hazard.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Flinticus - on 25 Nov 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

That is my intended return route. Been down that way on a wintery descent from Beinn Ime.

That ascent of Ime was on rock hard ice with even my crampons and axe hardly getting in a scratch on the surface. No dog with me then and glad of that.

Also considering nearby Beinn Chorranach as somewhere new to me.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.