UKC

Air from my eye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was up in the Peak on Saturday and as I was climbing I had a pressure change in my ears for which I do my usual trick of a gentle blow through my nose whilst restricting the airflow. Ive done this for years of hill activities and flights.

This time was different as I felt air coming from my left eye and also that it induced tears. Over the rest of the weekend when blowing my nose the same thing happened. Ive done the Googling and it seems that this is quite normal due to all of those areas being pretty well connected. It also states whilst it might be normal, which it wasn't for me until two days ago, it isn't recommended because it can introduce infection into the eyes.

Anyone else had this weirdness happen to them and did it return to its usual state over time.

Richard
 JJL 28 Nov 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Completely normal.

The opposite happens when you put in eye drops and then taste them afterwards.
 Chris Harris 28 Nov 2016

Google "Milk eye squirt"

No, not a euphemism....
 aln 28 Nov 2016

I had an Uncle whose party trick was taking a drag on his cigarette then blowing it out his eye.
 buzby 28 Nov 2016

yep if I sneeze and try and hold it in it blasts out my left eye. quite disconcerting the first time it happens.
In reply to buzby:

> yep if I sneeze and try and hold it in it blasts out my left eye. quite disconcerting the first time it happens.

Are you sure holding in a sneeze like that is healthy? I have horrific visions (see what i did there) of it popping out, which will probably smart a tad.
 Dave Garnett 28 Nov 2016

I don't think there's any danger of anyone's eye popping out, which is not to say that holding in sneezes is a good idea!

The nasolacrimal duct has a bit of a functional one-way valve arrangement in the nose (google the valve of Hasner) which tends to prevent snot being blown out of your eyes, but it can be sometimes be overcome given sufficient determination...
 Dave the Rave 28 Nov 2016

Yeah left eye has been like that for over a month. If I try to clear it by your method air pops out of it! It's my new party trick!
 Chris Harris 28 Nov 2016

> Are you sure holding in a sneeze like that is healthy? I have horrific visions (see what i did there) of it popping out, which will probably smart a tad.

Holding a sneeze in can be very bad for you. It is an extremely violent muscular contraction, and to try to resist it can transfer the high stresses involved to areas not designed to cope with them, or to weakened areas susceptible to injury.

My father has a friend who tried to hold in a sneeze in the mid 1970's and hasn't walked since.

buzby 01 Dec 2016

> Are you sure holding in a sneeze like that is healthy? I have horrific visions (see what i did there) of it popping out, which will probably smart a tad.

probably not, and I don't in general but the last time was when I was sitting in a café having breakfast with four guys I work with, most the size of bears and with similar bad attitude. blasting all over their bacon and eggs would have been far more hazardous to my health in the short term at least.
 Dave the Rave 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Holding a sneeze in can be very bad for you. It is an extremely violent muscular contraction, and to try to resist it can transfer the high stresses involved to areas not designed to cope with them, or to weakened areas susceptible to injury.

> My father has a friend who tried to hold in a sneeze in the mid 1970's and hasn't walked since.
Yes. This can be true. I always sneeze in good posture as I met someone who sneezed with his neck flexed, popped a disc and was paralysed!
 Ann S 02 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

> I had an Uncle whose party trick was taking a drag on his cigarette then blowing it out his eye.

While singing "Smoke gets in your eyes"?
 aln 02 Dec 2016
In reply to buzby:

Cover your mouth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...