UKC

Inshalla!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 28 Nov 2016
Been a while since there's been any form of religious thread and this has the makings of peak Off Belay - God, brexit AND the Tories

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2274324/theresa-may-says-her-faith-in-god-wil...
 jkarran 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

So does god count as an expert or not, I'm confused?

Good to see the implementation phase relies as heavily on magical thinking as the development phase and sales pitch did
jk
 Dave Garnett 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

Please tell me this is one of those fake news sites everyone was getting so excited about a week or so ago.

God help us all indeed.
 john arran 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

From the article: May "admitted that she was 'very conscious' of the enormity of Brexit"

How literally true.
 DerwentDiluted 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Please tell me this is one of those fake news sites

its from the Sun if that counts.

cb294 28 Nov 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> its from the Sun if that counts.

Yep, fake news....

CB
OP toad 28 Nov 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Reporting an interview in the Sunday Times, but that's paywalled
damhan-allaidh 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

It appeared in the independent, too. FWIW
 Yanis Nayu 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

God help us...
In reply to toad:

Might it prove troublesome for one pro-Brexit, fervent atheist of this parish...? "Pro-Brexit: good; guided by God: bad..."

It does seem to show that May simply doesn't have a clue.

Still, I hear we're all supposed to 'have faith in Brexit'. So why not in God...?

I look forward to hearing about the influence of Mom and Apple Pie on May's Brexit policy.
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

Perhaps we should make a sacrifice to the Gods to ensure brexit goes smoothly?

I vote we start with Boris Johnson and go from there.
 Big Ger 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

Nice to see the Sun taken so seriously here.
OP toad 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
If you'd read the thread, you'd know we'd established this was a Sunday times story. However unless you've a subscription, there's no point in linking to the Times
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Perhaps we should make a sacrifice to the Gods to ensure brexit goes smoothly?

> I vote we start with Boris Johnson and go from there.

If you were a God and your sacrifice was Boris rather than the traditional virgin would you be happy?
 Big Ger 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

So there wasn't any selective editing by the Sun?

Let's see what they have to say;

"Theresa May says her faith in God will guide our path out of Europe" is their claim.

Hmmmm....
"She claims: “There is something in terms of faith, I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth, that lies behind what I do.”

The daughter of a vicar went on: “If you know you are doing the right thing, you have the confidence, the energy to go and deliver that right message.”

But she confessed “in this job you don’t get much time to sleep” and admitted that she was “very conscious” of the enormity of Brexit saying ‘it’s a moment of change” and “a hugely challenging time.”

Neat bit of obfuscation by the Sun there, weaving a story out of very thin evidence. You'd have to be really thick, or a Sun reader, to fall for that guff.

Dave Garnett 28 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

Well, God does indeed move in mysterious ways. It's just been announced that the UK will be ratifying the Unified Patent Court Agreement. I realise how underwhelming this must be for almost all of you but it's big news in terms of what sort of Brexit Brexit means - and answer is an extremely soft one.

It's not even clear what the legal basis of this decision will be (it was widely believed that it was impossible if we left the EU) but it's certainly a bit of good news for my learned friends in the New Square area.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/28/uk-ratify-eu-patent-system-d...
https://www.ft.com/content/6a07fdba-b56f-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62

Ridge 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> "She claims: “There is something in terms of faith, I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth, that lies behind what I do.”

C of E? Even the higher ups don't believe in God...
 Greasy Prusiks 29 Nov 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

True.

Where's Danny Alexander when you need him?
 jkarran 29 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:

Yesterday we have brexit by the power of prayer, this morning we have the 'Have cake and eat it' strategy gem...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38134859

Scrawled notes leaving the brexit ministry that look marginally less sophisticated than the average ukc brexit thread in their assessment of the situation. Great.
jk
 Tyler 29 Nov 2016
In reply to jkarran:

I assumed it was a deliberate plant? Surely people actually involved in the process aren't still writing this sort of stuff down for the first time in these sort of vague terms?
 jkarran 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> I assumed it was a deliberate plant? Surely people actually involved in the process aren't still writing this sort of stuff down for the first time in these sort of vague terms?

Certainly possible it's just a wind-up but it'd be a big career risk. Also possible this is what people are taking from their briefings with those more closely involved, perhaps interpreted in private notes rather less generously that it could be since the vast majority of MPs and presumably their aides were opposed to leaving and like us, are probably feeling rather exasperated.
jk
pasbury 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Surely this will make the swivel eyed Tory brexiters froth at the mouth? Or have they just not noticed?
 Dave Garnett 29 Nov 2016
In reply to pasbury:

They probably haven't noticed yet. The IP community is currently highly confused about what it means - possibly a bargaining chip, although that might backfire if it's seen as holding up the Unified Patent Court/Unitary Patent process even more by introducing further uncertainty.
 Big Ger 30 Nov 2016
In reply to toad:
St Theresa has one notable fan...

> Kate Bush has described Theresa May as "wonderful" in a Canadian magazine interview. Speaking to Maclean's magazine, she said that having a female prime minister is "the best thing that's happened" to the UK for a long time.

> "I actually really like her," the British singer-songwriter said. "I will say it is great to have a woman in charge of the country. She's very sensible and I think that's a good thing at this point in time."
Post edited at 02:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...