UKC

Some Scoundrel Pinched My Picture...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Nov 2016

...or I thought they had. Just looking through some pics of the Pyrenees on the web and I came across one and my immediate thought was "I took that photograph; somebody's pinched it." Then noticed it was on Panoramio and it had been uploaded by...

...mypyrex
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12622994
Post edited at 13:53
In reply to mypyrex:

Is the climbing there as good as it looks?
OP mypyrex 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Is the climbing there as good as it looks?

I certainly believe so. I spent a night in the Refugio d'Amitges and this is the scene out of the refuge - quite mesmerising. Fantastic area of the Aiguestorte National Park and Los Encantados.
 Chipmunk 29 Nov 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

Lovely picture. However I do wonder what sort of people visit these pages and why they find a post like this offensive enough to award dislikes. What sad folk they must be.
 Wingnut 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

>>What sad folk they must be.

Or just have fat fingers and a touchscreen.
 wercat 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

It would all be solved if "Dislike" became "Disagree". It would achieve 2 aims.

1) Disagree counts appear less offensive than dislikes because dislike could be taken or intended and I believe often is as personal dislike ad hominem.

2) Someone pressing "Disagree" on the OP of this thread would really look stupid!
 humptydumpty 29 Nov 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

What's the name of that pretty rock in the picture? Any good routes on it?
OP mypyrex 29 Nov 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

> What's the name of that pretty rock in the picture?
Aiguilles d'Amitges
>Any good routes on it?
I'm sure there are
 sg 29 Nov 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

Aiguestort sure is beautiful - highly recommended. Not sure about the climbing but the walking alone is really special.
 FactorXXX 29 Nov 2016
In reply to wercat:

It would all be solved if "Dislike" became "Disagree". It would achieve 2 aims.

I agree.
 felt 29 Nov 2016
In reply to sg:

> Aiguestort sure is beautiful - highly recommended. Not sure about the climbing but the walking alone is really special.

Damn, I was planning to go with my wife.
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Wingnut:

Other explanations for disliking the OP are available and I think legitimate. (And no, it wasn't me.)
 FesteringSore 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Having read the OP several times I can see no justification whatever for a dislike. It was a relatively light hearted comment about a photograph which the OP had taken. I cannot see that it contravenes any UKC guidelines, it is not rude, there are no expletives and raises no political correctness issues.

Furthermore it is quite a nice photograph.
 d_b 30 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Someone really, really hates the pyrenees.
 FesteringSore 30 Nov 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Someone really, really hates the pyrenees.

No reason to take it out on the OP though ;0)
 Trangia 30 Nov 2016

> Other explanations for disliking the OP are available and I think legitimate.

Would you care to expand on that?

d_b 30 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Visiting mountains helps to wear them down so you would think a Pyrenees hater would be delighted.

A mate of mine used to claim that the Pyrenees were a giant hinge and one day Spain would suddenly find itself folded over onto France...
 felt 30 Nov 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Calaismolinos, delightful
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Nope.
 Trangia 30 Nov 2016

> Nope.

That is not very fair on the OP is it?

It's a pity that you felt the need to post in the first place if you are not prepared to explain.
 Mike Stretford 30 Nov 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

If you'd put

'by... ......Festering Sore '

it would have been amusing.
Removed User 30 Nov 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I used to post on this site from time to time, but these days not so much. I noticed that many posts/threads usually led to any posts or comments coming under close scrutiny and sly comments at the best; or sheer vitriol at the worst. This thread was winding it’s way towards being one of those classics. These days I mostly read nearly everything that gets posted up, and in all honesty I end up feeling appalled at some of the needless and petty digs at people; indeed some people in particular, by some people in particular. What makes the whole thing worse for me is that the usual protagonists hide behind a 'Dislike', or when challenged to step out of the shadows they have the temerity to offer a pitiful or veiled excuse as to why they have disliked something. For a bunch of people that have a likeminded interest in climbing, and all related, you are certainly in isolation a mixed bag of exceptionally nice people and tw*ts. Which camp are you in?

PS - Don't ask me to elaborate. I'm sure I don't need to.
 birdie num num 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:
A likeminded interest in climbing doesn't equal likeminded ideology . Thankfully.
I love UCK for its diverse and very vocal forums.
Plenty of train spotting websites out there if you want polite decorum.
Lively debate is the key to learning from the experience of others.
Nothing wrong with being humbled in public.
 The Potato 01 Dec 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

Who would be the king of this United climbing kingdom of yours?

Yeah being humbled is a hard thing to accept as is realising you're being overly sensitive to what may be a simple remark. Comments online can easily be taken out of context or conversely people can be aholes due to relative anonymity
 Pyreneenemec 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Is the climbing there as good as it looks?

Well, it's mostly sport-climbing which won't please the anti-bolting brigade but it's a lovely spot to spend a day or so.

Aigues-Tortes offers the best ski-touring in the Pyrénées, many huts are manned throughout the winter making a 4 / 5 day trip with a light pack possible.
 Pyreneenemec 01 Dec 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> A likeminded interest in climbing doesn't equal likeminded ideology . Thankfully.

I've been climbing over 40 years and can honestly say that most of my partners I would have nothing to do with outside of climbing !
 IPPurewater 01 Dec 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I had a chat to a guide, at the Amitges hut a few years back who had just put up a new route on the Agulles D'Amitges. He said the rock was good and that there were some good routes. Which guidebook it is in I don't know, but I expect you could get or copy topos from the hut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...