UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Sport Climbing in Switzerland's Gimmelwald

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Nov 2016
The author enjoying the sun at Sector B, 5 kbMost people associate Swiss climbing with bouldering: Magic Wood, Cresciano and Chironico are just some of the destinations on offer. However, there are a few world-class destinations in Switzerland outside the realm of bouldering. One such destination is Gimmelwald; hidden amongst the towering, snowy peaks of the Jungfrau region, it offers an incredible range of sport climbing. Jonathan Siegriest and Adam Ondra's recent visits to the area go some way to proving its quality.

Alfie Jamieson shares some hints and tips on this up-and-coming area.

Read more
 Mr Lopez 30 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Worth pointing out that if you'll be in the valley for a few days you can get a monthly valley transport pass for about 69 francs.

With that you can take all cable cars, trains and buses between Lautterbrunnen and Stechelberg (horizontally) and up to Gimmelwald/Murren from Stechelberg and Grutschalp/Murren from Lauterbrunnen on that side of the valley, and Wengen up the other side, for a full month.

Definitely good value not just to go to the crag but also to visit towns, go to shops, go for walks and sightseeing, etc. when not climbing.

ETA: You need a photo to get the pass, so take one with you if you planning on it
Post edited at 14:47
 Tyler 30 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

"Most people associate Swiss climbing with bouldering"
 matt perks 30 Nov 2016
 jon 30 Nov 2016
In reply to matt perks:

> Some of which is quite highball http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3652

F*ck me, is that really in Switzerland?
 iknowfear 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Tyler:

yep I choked on that too.
Actually, most people probably associate switzerland with chocolate, banks and sweden.

john arran 30 Nov 2016
In reply to iknowfear:

Jigsaws
 tom84 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Tyler:

you got there before me! the bouldering pretty good, the sport climbing is also excellent but the lovely climbing is elsewhere
 planetmarshall 01 Dec 2016
In reply to iknowfear:

> Actually, most people probably associate switzerland with chocolate, banks and sweden.

Also neutrality and Nazi Gold.

Robert Durran 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Tyler:
> "Most people associate Swiss climbing with bouldering"

Yes, that has to be the most untrue/hilarious/sad/telling (not quite sure which though) thing I have ever read on UKC.

Next we'll be told that most people associate Gogarth with sport climbing.

Or even Font with alpinism.
Post edited at 11:46
alfiejameson 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hi guys. Apologies if you disagree with the opening of the article. 'most people' isn't correct, that's my mistake. I hope it didn't deter you from reading about what a great destination Gimmelwald is.
 iknowfear 01 Dec 2016
In reply to alfiejameson:

It actually motivated me to go and check it out, so yeah. Thanx!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...