UKC

Survey on ski-tourers habits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
juveln 01 Dec 2016
Hello,

Currently students, we are writing our Master's thesis in the field of winter sports, especially ski touring.

We would like to analyse the behaviour of ski-tourers and what's their perception about protection and security in their sport activities. That is why we would like to gather your point of view about the subject.

We thank you in advance for your generous help and we explicitly assure you that all data recorded in the following survey will be kept strictly confidential.

https://goo.gl/forms/iKYOglOUkWlPJzC63
 Pete Houghton 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

Done, but... I'm sorry, "inflatable helmet"?
 wbo 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln: done decent survey except no option for sometimes wearing helmet

mike123 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:
Done. Sensible enough questions . However , another poster raised this recently, you should say at the start of the survey who you, where you are studying and what the point of the survey is/ what you are studying.
Post edited at 11:44
 jonnie3430 01 Dec 2016
In reply to mike123:

It was on the first page of the survey.
 mike123 01 Dec 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:
Yep, apologys , but no name given , imho the better surveys are usually not from internet ghosts .
Post edited at 11:47
 galpinos 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:
One of the non-helmet wearing questions had a potential answer as "Option 3".
Post edited at 11:51
 Hyphin 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

Ok where's the link to reviews of foldable and inflatable ski touring helmets.
 MG 01 Dec 2016
In reply to galpinos:
> One of the non-helmet wearing questions had a potential answer as "Option 3".

Don't you know about Option 3? I've been using one for a while and its much better than a helmet.
Post edited at 11:54
 Doug 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

A bit heavy on the helmet questions, would have preferred an option to say I don't wear one (and maybe why) & to avoided being asked to rank criteria for choosing something I never wear or buy. I would have though some questions on use of avalanche transceivers, shovels etc relevant to safety

I'm also not clear which I should have chosen between
Ski-hiker (I like the way up as much as the way down)
Ski-mountaineer (I'm looking for performances)
as I would usually say ski-mountaineer as I like summits but I wouldn't say I was bothered about performance (other than getting up the hill & back down in one piece)

And 'slopes' ? do you mean pisted areas in ski resorts?

Despite these points, I'd be interested to see the results
 galpinos 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

> A bit heavy on the helmet questions, would have preferred an option to say I don't wear one (and maybe why) & to avoided being asked to rank criteria for choosing something I never wear or buy. I would have though some questions on use of avalanche transceivers, shovels etc relevant to safety

I think he wants the info as he's doing a project on a helmet for ski touring?

> I'm also not clear which I should have chosen between

> Ski-hiker (I like the way up as much as the way down)

> Ski-mountaineer (I'm looking for performances)

> as I would usually say ski-mountaineer as I like summits but I wouldn't say I was bothered about performance (other than getting up the hill & back down in one piece)

> And 'slopes' ? do you mean pisted areas in ski resorts?

I also found this tricky to answer as I was loathe to tick 'Ski-hiker' as it's such a horrible phrase, despite it being the description best describing me.
 Doug 01 Dec 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I also found this tricky to answer as I was loathe to tick 'Ski-hiker' as it's such a horrible phrase, despite it being the description best describing me.

likewise, but although I find the term 'ski-hiker' horrible, I'm quite happy with ski de randonée rather than ski-alpinism when I'm speaking French even though its pretty much the same
juveln 01 Dec 2016
In reply to all:

Thank you for thaking part in this research !

We are student from Switzerland so it's possible that you could find some difficulities in understanding some statements because of a possible mis-translation from french.

We already gathered a lot of information on the other types of protection (tranceivers, airbag, back protectors, etc.) and we are focusing now on the head protection. The aim of this research is to find a innovative solution for ski-tourers in terms of protection (head, body, etc.).

In terms of results, it may be possible that some questions will be considered useless (for example the type of ski-tourer question).

Thank you for the feedback, we will make some corrections.

Céline, Luca, Rémi
 galpinos 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

It sound more romantic in French though...:

Doug 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

is there a French version ?
juveln 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

Yes, we create this survey in english and french. Here is the french version :

https://goo.gl/forms/tF88SQBevH38WLXi1

Thanks again for your support !

Luca
 Doug 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

merci beaucoup, le version français (l'originel?) est plus facile de comprendre, mais il existe "des chemins pour le ski de randonnée" ? - j'ai vu des pistes pour le ski de fond mais pour le randonnée à ski ?
juveln 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

Oui en effet dans certains pays des chemins ont été prévus à cet effet. Bien évidemment, ces chemins sont aussi emprunté par les personnes à raquettes, ski de fond, etc. A la base le ski de randonnée était consacré à une expérience hors-piste, mais avec le temps, les pratiques ont évoluées et les skieurs de randonnées utilisent ces chemins ou pratique même leurs sports en bord de pistes normales.
 French Erick 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

rempli. intéressant.
 TobyA 01 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

Can you now back translate the terms into English with more clarity? Although it's not like there is ever much clarity in what we call things in ski-touring/randonee/ski mountaineering/cross country/etc etc.!
juveln 01 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Having already sent the survey to multiple sources, only small changes could be applied in order to maintain a pattern in the results. If you encounter problem understanding a question, please answer what feels best. Forgive us if you find some statements unclear. We are working on fixing this issue. Thank you for your feedback
 Trangia 01 Dec 2016
In reply to juveln:

If someone says they don't wear a helmet, then all the questions relating to helmets become irrelevant, so there should be a "Not applicable" option.
juveln 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

There is already a section that you will skip in this case. But we still wanted to have your point of view in terms of helmet preferences, you have to consider/view this section as if you intented to buy a new helmet. Thank you for your feedback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...