UKC

VIDEO: Kendal Rekindled: Blocheads Extra - Ned Zeppelin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Dec 2016
Ned Feehally, 3 kbAlastair Lee of Posing Productions has shared some extra footage from his award-winning documentary on the colourful history of British bouldering, Blocheads, featuring Ned Feehally making the first ascent of the gruelling mantel 'Ned Zeppelin' 8A at The Roaches.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

I'm simultaneously horrified and intrigued...
 Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

And he looked so comfortable cleaning it...
 bouldery bits 02 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Looks soft.
 AP Melbourne 03 Dec 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

Pure class. Nice one.
 Simon4 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> And he looked so comfortable cleaning it...

Or "chipping it" as some would say.

Only a boulder, but nonetheless ....
 thommi 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Simon4:

Looked like a nylon brush to me, not a chisel... And 'only a boulder'!!? Have I bitten here? You've got to be trolling no?
 Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Simon4:

> Or "chipping it" as some would say.

> Only a boulder, but nonetheless ....

No, that wasn't him, the steps have been there for ages.
 cha1n 04 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I'm sure I've seen this clip years ago, is it featured in another film?

I'm tempted to watch the whole film but wouldn't want to if there's lots of reused content. Would appreciate it if someone could let me know if that's the case. Thanks.
 mark20 04 Dec 2016
In reply to cha1n:

There was a low-ish quality video when Ned originally did it on someone's vimeo page

This film looks great
 stp 04 Dec 2016
In reply to cha1n:

Agreed. I also find the high price offputting.
 Si dH 05 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:
Isn't 12.99 fairly standard for a full length climbing film (1 hr + extras)?
It doesn't feel bad to me. We are used to seeing so much good footage for free on the internet now that it begins to feel expensive to pay for anything, but ultimately if we want to support any professional climbing film makers, then on the occasions where a film comes along that has obviously taken a lot of effort to produce, we should be willing to pay for it.
I wanted a dvd as an xmas present but understand they won't be releasing one as sales can't justify the expense - sad
Post edited at 06:44
 Lord_ash2000 05 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I can safely say, thst is a boulder problem I'll never climb. Impressive but I'd never get close, even if it was 7a never mind 8a
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

The caption on this is wrong. This isn't FA footage (obvious if you watch the vid), the FA was late summer 2015.
There is a video of the actual FA on my Vimeo page.
Simon4, you're an idiot.
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
I tried Mother's Ruin @ Mother Pet the other week, which is one of Ned's more modestly graded problems at 7a+. It's a similar style to this, only clearly much, much easier. It would suffice to say I couldn't touch it...

With that in mind I can't conceive of the awfulness of Ned Zeppelin which is (nearly) a whole number harder.
Post edited at 15:05
 stp 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Si dH:

I'm not sure what is normal but certainly any film for sale has to compete with all the free stuff on the internet as you say. Unlike a DVD the costs for distribution are negligible. Not making up the DVD, no associated printing costs, packaging, no profit for distributors like climbing shops, no work beyond getting it up on the web. That's a large slice of costs gone that I'd hope was reflected in the price.

For me I'd be interested to watch it some time but as I'm not a really a boulderer there's no way I'd pay £13 just to watch it. For that price I could watch a really top notch, big budget film of similar length on a massive screen with a superb sound system etc..

If it was about £3 to £4 though I'd buy it. At that price they'd have to sell around 4 times as many copies of course to make the same amount of money. I don't know for sure but I suspect that might well be possible. They might sell ten times the amount perhaps? It's just speculation on my part but I'm basing it on the assumption there are probably far more climbers with a slight interest, like me, than those with a very keen interest for whom the film is a must have and will pay more and watch repeatedly. Think overseas climbers as just one example.
 Si dH 06 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

Fair enough. It would be interesting to know the rough cost split between development and production/distribution for this film, and the additional production for a small dvd production run.
 JIMBO 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Si dH:

I'd be keen to buy a DVD. I can't get more than half a meg here and it's not that reliable. I can't download or stream material, it just takes days or goes jerky. For some reason vimeo is worse for this and I can forget watching anything in HD.
 mcdougal 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Simon4:

> Or "chipping it" as some would say.

> Only a boulder, but nonetheless ....

I love the fact that you think he went back day after day chipping away at those steps - and no-one noticed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...