UKC

Recommend me an Adobe Acrobat Replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 02 Dec 2016
Hi all,
Just moved on to Windows 8.1 and my copy of Adobe Acrobat doesn't work on that. Can anyone recommend some freeware that does similar things. I dont need to do much editing, primarily just convert word to pdf, pdf to word and merge / remove pages.
Thanks
Frank
 ianstevens 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

You can save direct from word as a pdf if that helps?
 The Lemming 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

I use Nitro Reader 3

Does a good job for me.
m0unt41n 02 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

Cute PDF which acts as a printer so anything that has a print option (web, program, whatever) you can select CutePDF as a printer and save the output as a PDF

PDF SAM which splits, combines and generally manipulates PDF files.
In reply to Frankie boy:

PDF Creator as a print-to-file driver.

Inkscape for dismantling and editing PDFs.
 Route Adjuster 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

PDFSAM (PDF Split and Merge)
Foxit Reader
In reply to Route Adjuster:
My HP Laptop came with Foxit and it seems to work OK.
ultrabumbly 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

in addition to the above

tip: you can email the pdfs to yourself as attachments and read them in gmail if the text isn't too complicated or overly full of tables. This also used to circumvent password protection and probably still does (I've had no need to try it for a while)
OP Frankie boy 04 Dec 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Thanks for all your help, I will check these out. I know there are sites where you can convert pdfs etc online but as I live on a boat, internet is limited, thus wanting a standalone package.
I do likewise have Foxit on my laptop (which is also HP) but I cant seem to fathom it.
Will have a look at the others as soon as possible.
Thanks again all.
Frank
 Xharlie 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Frankie boy:

I use the Windows 10 built-in "Print to PDF" feature for creating PDFs - it is really solid.

For most applications, including Word and LibreOffice, you can save directly as PDF - this also works on Windows-not-10.

I recommend Sumatra PDF for viewing the damn things - it is tiny, simple and it works. It is free and open-source and never asks to update or phones home. It also remembers where you were in each PDF so, if you open the same one again, you return to your previous location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...