UKC

Strange bike problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Dec 2016
After my bike has been hanging on the rack for a day (from the top tube) the headset gets really stiff, which eases quite quickly with a few turns of the bars.

The headset was serviced about 6 weeks ago, and this problem has been happening for about 3 weeks. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
 Ben07 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sounds to me like you need a new bike.
 Mountain Llama 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Can't offer an explanation but it's not right is it?

If what your describing started after your headset service, then I would take it back to the shop.

Cheers Davey
Rigid Raider 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Is the bike in an unheated place? Possibly the grease in the bearings is getting stiff in the cold?
Removed User 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Does it happen when you put it in the same place without having it on the rack?
 itsThere 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Is it loose, if you put the front brake on and push the bars forward and backwards there shouldnt be any movement.
OP Yanis Nayu 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Ben07:

> Sounds to me like you need a new bike.

Noted. I agree, although excessive recent spending on gear unfortunately precludes it)
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Is the bike in an unheated place? Possibly the grease in the bearings is getting stiff in the cold?

No, it's a small room with the boiler in it. I see the logic, but I've had this and other bikes in there without the same problem.
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> Can't offer an explanation but it's not right is it?

> If what your describing started after your headset service, then I would take it back to the shop.

> Cheers Davey

I shall take it back to the same place, but there was a good few weeks when it was ok. They may not have greased it properly and some has washed out, leaving it a bit dry. I've ridden it in some horrendous weather.
In reply to Removed User:

> Does it happen when you put it in the same place without having it on the rack?

I can't do that really because the floors taken up with wife's and daughter's bikes (which never move). I haven't noticed the problem when I've left it (on its wheels) in the kitchen, but I try not to do that as it gets me in the dog house. I'm leaving it there tonight to see what happens.
In reply to itsThere:

> Is it loose, if you put the front brake on and push the bars forward and backwards there shouldnt be any movement.

No, it's solid.
 Mountain Llama 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hope you get on OK.
 MD 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sounds like water has got in the headset and it's making the bearings rusty.
Rigid Raider 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

That's what's happened then.

Have a look at my video on resurrecting rusted bearings: youtube.com/watch?v=buy80Fj-Afg&
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Great video, thanks. I especially liked:

"We may be bodgers, but we're proud of our standards"
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> Hope you get on OK.

Cheers!
In reply to MD:

> Sounds like water has got in the headset and it's making the bearings rusty.

I think you might be right. It sounds a bit graunchy even when it's moving freely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...