UKC

Resuming training after a cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ultrabumbly 04 Dec 2016
A week ago I had a fairly full on cold hit and put me in bed for a couple of days. By yesterday I'd have said I felt fine apart from still coughing up quite a bit of lung butter.

However, we had some flat pack Swedish psych ops attack material delivered yesterday that I carried up 3 flights of awkward stairs. Heaviest boxes were only 30kg but an awkward shape for the stairwell and one person. Not only did I feel out of breath(no panting just felt out of steam) and need to keep stopping for breaks mid flight, I'm also very stiff and sore today. 8 days ago my condition rating would have been "fit as the butcher's dog".

I haven't had a cold for years so I've got no feeling for how long I should be planning to take it easy for. I'm guessing after yesterday's experience I'm not going to be running for at least another week and I'll need to start off easy to see how it feels.

I was hoping to get away somewhere sunny for some bolt clipping at the end of Jan and was intending to spend Dec working on strength and tip more towards endurance come January.

I'm now guessing it's going to be 7-10 days before I can do anything productive at the wall. Does that sound about right? Or should I allow longer and maybe think about planning the trip later (have provisionally booked time off work but not our trip yet).

What about doing a very low number of "maintenance sets" of deadhangs ( I have rock rings and a small wall in the garage)? Good idea or bad idea?

I'd be more chilled about it if I hadn't treated November as a "semi rest month" due to work obligations, so I am probably now into the losing strength window.
 deacondeacon 04 Dec 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Have you any history of hypochondriac tendencies? That's a serious question, not a mickey take.
I definitely think you're overthinking it.
My advice would be, just go climbing and if you're struggling, take it easy.
 timjones 04 Dec 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> A week ago I had a fairly full on cold hit and put me in bed for a couple of days. By yesterday I'd have said I felt fine apart from still coughing up quite a bit of lung butter.

> However, we had some flat pack Swedish psych ops attack material delivered yesterday that I carried up 3 flights of awkward stairs. Heaviest boxes were only 30kg but an awkward shape for the stairwell and one person. Not only did I feel out of breath(no panting just felt out of steam) and need to keep stopping for breaks mid flight, I'm also very stiff and sore today. 8 days ago my condition rating would have been "fit as the butcher's dog".

> I haven't had a cold for years so I've got no feeling for how long I should be planning to take it easy for. I'm guessing after yesterday's experience I'm not going to be running for at least another week and I'll need to start off easy to see how it feels.

> I was hoping to get away somewhere sunny for some bolt clipping at the end of Jan and was intending to spend Dec working on strength and tip more towards endurance come January.

> I'm now guessing it's going to be 7-10 days before I can do anything productive at the wall. Does that sound about right? Or should I allow longer and maybe think about planning the trip later (have provisionally booked time off work but not our trip yet).

> What about doing a very low number of "maintenance sets" of deadhangs ( I have rock rings and a small wall in the garage)? Good idea or bad idea?

> I'd be more chilled about it if I hadn't treated November as a "semi rest month" due to work obligations, so I am probably now into the losing strength window.

What grade are you hoping to climb?

If you were fit at the end of October then you should return to the same level of fitness relatively quickly. IME you need to lay off the training for more than just a month before you suffer a serious set back.
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Troll?
 stp 04 Dec 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

I think you've pretty much answered your own question for the most part. Don't think you can estimate the number of days though as every virus is different. You'll know when you get better. I find you can certainly train Ok with the tailend of a cold: the snotty, blocked nose bit. Just don't overdo it at first or else it could come back worse, might even get a chest infection.

Deadhangs should be OK because your training a very small muscle group in the forearms. Very different to carrying big boxes up stairs which is using your core and legs and arms all together.

Generally start of lighter than normal and shorter sessions. If they're OK go a bit harder the next day.

Plenty of time to recover any lost strength by the end of Jan I would think.
 Bulls Crack 04 Dec 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Cancel the holiday and give yourself all of next year to recouperate - you'd be a fool not to.
ultrabumbly 05 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

cheers. Whenever I've heard people complain about colds/"manflu", I've always thought, "you've got the sniffles, stop whining".

The bit I was surprised about was the DOMS after only shifting some boxes. I didn't know that could happen.

I went for a "nap" at 4pm yesterday and slept through til 6am and feel fine again. Might try a v. short session at the wall tomorrow and see if I feel unusually knackered after it or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...