UKC

probably the best hot chocolate ever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Back in from a cold winter's day in the park with the kids.

To help thaw out, i've just had a large mug of chocolat charbonnel with a generous shot of courvoisier brandy.

Mmmmmm. That was good. ...

Any suggestions for other good brands of drinking chocolate? Or for things you can add to it....?

Post edited at 17:27
 MG 04 Dec 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

The Italians do a good line in hot chocolate. Try it when skiing, for example. Consistency is closer to milkshake than normal hot chocolate. Taste is amazing - chocolatey and creamy.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

That's not surprising, that the Italians do.
 ThunderCat 04 Dec 2016

Bit of contreau.....
 MG 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Timmd:
They sometimes actually ask if you want Italian or English style. The answer isn't hard!

In reply to MG:

Will look out for that...

The Spanish do a good line in astoundingly rich and thick hot chocolate. I bought a tub of the powder once, but I couldn't get it to come out like it did in the cafés
 Timmd 04 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:
This looks about as tasty as I imagined...plus a little bit.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216167/cioccolata-calda-hot-chocolate-italian-...

I really like bitter things, so I guess one could leave out the sugar or reduce the amount. Had enough of tooth ache and fillings and broken teeth, too.
Post edited at 18:16
 MG 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Timmd: That's the stuff!

In reply to ThunderCat:

Yes, that would work.

Anyone tried whisky? I don't think a big peaty islay one would be right, but what about a nice speyside- anyone tried that?
 Deri Jones 04 Dec 2016
I discovered the Italian hot "Thick chocolate" yesterday at Agnelli's in Aberystwyth- almost mousse consistency and easiest eaten with a spoon, which is very nice and warming/refreshing. Not sure it'd go with the chocolate ravioli that we had in the Eastern Dolomites a while back though!
 tspoon1981 04 Dec 2016

http://www.cocoamountain.co.uk/

If you're ever in Durness it's worth visiting the shop too, they also make incredible pain au chocolate.
 hokkyokusei 04 Dec 2016

I've no idea of the brand or how they made it, but the best hot chocolate I have ever had was in the hut on the way up to Pisco, in Peru. It was so thick that you could stand a spoon up in it, literally.
 Hooo 04 Dec 2016

For serious thick hot chocolate I just heat a small cup of milk in a pan and whisk in loads of good dark chocolate ( as in a bar of chocolate ). It's like a chocolate espresso.
 Cobbler 05 Dec 2016

I use Arrowroot for thickening HC - gives a smoother consistency than corn starch.
 FactorXXX 05 Dec 2016

Their biggest hit was 'So You Win Again'.
However, I thought 'You Sexy Thing' was better.

FFS, all this foreign stuff !!!

When are you lot gonna realise leave means leave?
 marsbar 05 Dec 2016

I like whisky in hot chocolate but I only ever use the cheap stuff for that.
damhan-allaidh 05 Dec 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Mention of Pisco puts me in mind of similarly named warming drinks. Just got a new bottle - wonder if it works in hot chocolate?
 Toccata 05 Dec 2016

We had a myocardial infarction-inducing session in Val d'I some years ago with liqueurs and hot chocolate. Two of the most popular were Frangelico and, oddly, creme de banane. FWIW creme de menthe did not work.
 hokkyokusei 05 Dec 2016
In reply to damhan-allaidh:

> Mention of Pisco puts me in mind of similarly named warming drinks. Just got a new bottle - wonder if it works in hot chocolate?

Now there's a thought! I may have part of a bottle left, too.

> Mention of Pisco puts me in mind of similarly named warming drinks. Just got a new bottle - wonder if it works in hot chocolate?

<shudders>

doubtful- the chileans kill its taste with massive amounts of cola...!

there may be nice varieties of it, but the stuff shrink wrapped with 2 litre bottles of coke in the supermarkets for about a pound wasn't one of the country's highlights!
In reply to Toccata:

> FWIW creme de menthe did not work.

Mint flavour Baileys works a treat though, as does any flavour of the stuff. Grand Marnier is quite a successful combination too.
 Tigger 05 Dec 2016

Measure out a mug of full fat milk, heat it in a saucepan with 1/2" of cinnamon stick broken up, add a bit of vanilla pod, a pinch of ground nutmeg and also a pinch of cayenne pepper if you want a bit of a kick. Simmer for 10 mins then add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. Pour a bit of milk into the bottom of your mug and add 2 teaspoons of green and blacks coco powder (not drinking chocolate) mix this into a paste before adding it to the saucepan. Give it all a good stir, add extra sugar/coco if desired then pass through a sieve into your mug.
Bloody gorgeous!
damhan-allaidh 06 Dec 2016

I missed that! Sounds like a good thing, too. What I do remember are the boxes of Gato Negro and Gato Blanco.

I've had it with moderate amounts of cola and lemon to good effect. Sadly, I can't seem to make anything approaching a decent pisco sour. Any tips?
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Have you tried it?

pisco sours- no, couldn't get the hang of them. i think they're one of those things that is best in its original context...

gato negro- oh yes, that brings back memories- that stuff fueled me round the Torres del Paine circuit!

girlymonkey 06 Dec 2016

I heat a mix of cream and full fat milk and then melt in some good quality dark chocolate. Sometimes I use the Green and Blacks stuff with ginger through it, a very nice addition

Holy cow. You can buy Gato Negro in Waitrose. Comes in bottles, a bit effete, but might have to purchase one for old times' sake.
 FactorXXX 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

FFS, all this foreign stuff !!!
When are you lot gonna realise leave means leave?

and tea leaves obviously...
 Bootrock 06 Dec 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Greensleaves?
 Duncan Bourne 06 Dec 2016

> The Spanish do a good line in astoundingly rich and thick hot chocolate. I bought a tub of the powder once, but I couldn't get it to come out like it did in the cafés

God tell me about it! I can't get anything that comes close
In reply to FactorXXX:

> and tea leaves obviously...

Still bloody foreign stuff innit!

Scrumpy and tepid beer for me!
In reply to Bootrock:

> Greensleaves?

I say, can't get more English than that old chap!
 Big Ger 07 Dec 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Their biggest hit was 'So You Win Again'.

> However, I thought 'You Sexy Thing' was better.

Pah! "Emma" was their greatest achievement. (Have you heard the Sisters of Mercy's version?)
 lone 07 Dec 2016

Whisper do a great one in 35p sachets, I usually have on on the hill in winter time

L
 Flinticus 09 Dec 2016

Lazy option - Alpro Dark Choc almond milk. Stick it in the microwave. The cooking part comes when you stir it half way through.

Often though I just neck the stuff cold, straight from the carton.
 hokkyokusei 12 Dec 2016

> Have you tried it?

I have now. Surprisingly good!
KevinD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

> For serious thick hot chocolate I just heat a small cup of milk in a pan and whisk in loads of good dark chocolate ( as in a bar of chocolate ).

When i was at uni there was a local cafe who did something along those lines. Depending how nippy it was it often won against a pint after a cold days cycling.
 Mooncat 12 Dec 2016

My Missus had a hot chocolate on Saturday in Florence, it looked like it was just a melted block of chocolate and would quickly revert to that in the cup if it wasn't drunk quickly. Definitely a vote for the Italians from me. No doubt it's taken a few years off her life but she thought it was worth it.
Jim C 13 Dec 2016
In reply to tspoon1981:

> If you're ever in Durness it's worth visiting the shop too, they also make incredible pain au chocolate.

That chocolate was the highlight of my wife's grand tour of Scotland in a camper van, generally she hated the whole trip " more sheep, more hills" she would say, and that started on the second day! That chocolate infusion in Durness helped a lot. ( as well as a browse round the other craft shops )

(I don't think there will be anymore highland holidays together , unless they can a create synthetic 'shopping drug' that I can inject into her each morning, to help with her excruciating withdrawal symptoms. )
 BnB 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> That chocolate was the highlight of my wife's grand tour of Scotland in a camper van, generally she hated the whole trip " more sheep, more hills" she would say, and that started on the second day! That chocolate infusion in Durness helped a lot. ( as well as a browse round the other craft shops )

> (I don't think there will be anymore highland holidays together , unless they can a create synthetic 'shopping drug' that I can inject into her each morning, to help with her excruciating withdrawal symptoms. )

Introduce her to Patagucci and be sure to call into Aviemore and/or FW on your tour. Works for my wife, not least on account of Patagonia's "real" women's cut and sizing, ie petite-ish and curvy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...