UKC

Good headphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jasonC abroad 04 Dec 2016
Hello All

My daughters birthday is coming up and she wants a good pair of headphones ie over ear ones.
I'm happy to spend a fair bit but don't just want to go for the big brands ie Beats just because they are popular, I'd rather focus on quality and durability.

I know nothing about headphones, does anybody have any good suggestions? I've been looking on What Hi Fi and a few other places but would like some first hand reviews/ideas.

Thanks in advance

Jason
 Bootrock 04 Dec 2016
In reply to jasonC abroad:

> Hello All

> My daughters birthday is coming up and she wants a good pair of headphones ie over ear ones.

> I'm happy to spend a fair bit but don't just want to go for the big brands ie Beats just because they are popular, I'd rather focus on quality and durability.

I don't know why the fashion is Over the ear these days, I remember it was all about getting tiny small ones, and the over ear ones were for geeks and nerds.

Beat are utter utter turd. Hyped up turd. I am sick of hearing people bleat on about them. Utter shite. And the arseholes that wear OverEar headphones, and especially Beatz to the gym, are total arseholes and it takes every ounce of self discipline not to smash the barbell around their stupid heads.

SennHeiser are alright.
 Hidden 04 Dec 2016

I'm pretty chuffed to have picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 on eBay tonight. A friend showed me his last week and the sound and noise cancelling blew me away.

I tried a pair of Beats yesterday, and they were bloody awful.

If you could be tempted by in-ear headphones, then I definetley recommend RHA. Designed in Glasgow and with a better price and sound than most big names, plus great customer service too.
 The Lemming 04 Dec 2016

If choosing headphones, then you can't go too far wrong by checking out what Richer Sounds are selling on their site.

If you are upping your price range then you are not going to be disappointed by what you choose from them.

http://www.richersounds.com/

Liamhutch89 04 Dec 2016

Audio technica ath m50 are the best you can get for around £100 in my opinion. I use them for tracking in my home recording studio and have no desire for anything more expensive for this purpose. For mixing they perhaps don't quite cut it for extremely precise EQing, but for general listening they are easily more than good enough.

To get the best out of them make sure to listen to music in wav or flac format or similar. Mp3 kills dynamic range and adds nasty harmonic content

Edit: beyerdynamic dt 990's are a very close second for me in the price range and the difference between them is more personal preference. Slightly scooped mids in the beyers spectrum but they are also slightly comfier
Post edited at 20:34
 Big Ger 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

> SennHeiser are alright.

I currently use Sennheiser 600 for music listening, but AKG K701 for reference.

My daughter just asked for these ones. She had a pair of Sennheisers that cost a *lot* more but likes these ones after testing them in a shop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NBR6QKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0...

She seems to take the headphones everywhere she goes which means they get a lot of abuse compared to headphones that stay in the house and are more likely to get damaged or left behind somewhere. Also, a lot of the time they'll be used somewhere like a train where blocking background noise is more important than how good the reproduction is.
 Fraser 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I currently use Sennheiser 600 for music listening, but AKG K701 for reference.

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by 'for reference'?
 Foofus 04 Dec 2016

I use a pair of Bose ae2's, around £120 I think. They're nice and light, and the sound quality is excellent. I've just replaced the foam surrounds, good to know I can get spare parts.
 Indy 04 Dec 2016

Asked a very similar question here myself recently after daughter asked for some Beats. Long story short got her a pair of Grado SR325. She wears them daily and I haven't heard any complaints. They get great reviews and are WhatHiFi's best headphone sub-£300 again this year.
 Bulls Crack 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by 'for reference'?

I think it's the Dewey Decimal system.
 Big Ger 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by 'for reference'?

I do a bit of music production, just for fun and my own pleasure*.

Reference headphones have a flat, or neutral, response so do not, as some headphones do, attempt to boost bass , treble or vocal sounds.

*Definitely only for mine, everyone else runs a mile from it.
 Lurking Dave 04 Dec 2016

Good question, easy answer - AT MH50s
Cheers
LD
 Fraser 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Reference headphones have a flat, or neutral, response so do not, as some headphones do, attempt to boost bass , treble or vocal sounds.

Ah gottcha, cheers.

Connorh 05 Dec 2016

Sennheiser are really the best , I have 6 year old Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's and they still sound perfect and have taken a lot of rough handling.
 The Lemming 05 Dec 2016

Personally, I'd shy away from bluetooth headphones for the moment. Not many devices have upto date codecs to get the best out of your music. And if you are going to spend fair few pounds, then you will get more for your money if you choose one with a cable.
 AllanMac 05 Dec 2016

Grado SR80. Fantastic detailed sound but they are open-backed, meaning others can hear what you are listening to. If sound leakage is a problem, I recommend Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohm, which are closed back. They still manage to retain an open sounding rendition of the music yet wouldn't disturb others.

Both would work well on mp3 players.

Like speaker drivers they would need a bit of 'breaking in' initially, so the new moving parts get loosened up for the best sound.

Both are about £100.

Big Ger 05 Dec 2016
In reply to AllanMac:

> Grado SR80.

Amazing value for the money, but due to their flatish response I'm unsure as to whether they would be good for a young person who may want more bass.

OP jasonC abroad 05 Dec 2016

Thanks to all that replied, I've just brought some Marshall ones, which my daughter seems to think are good.
Plus we live in Hanwell, where the company was started, so we feel a bit of loyalty.

I was going to go for some SennHeiser ones otherwise.

Thanks
 Dan Arkle 05 Dec 2016
In reply to all:

Possibly a bit cheap for all you Audiophiles but I've been really impressed with my AudioMax bluetooth headphones. £45 for rock solid bluetooth and a battery that lasts days. A good choice for younger or careless children perhaps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...