UKC

Lurcher's Crag - UKC Crag Page

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 06 Dec 2016
No match for crag id:2605

The crag page has finally been brought up to date, with help from Andy Nisbet. Hopefully some form of topo can be made available in the not too distant future.
 LakesWinter 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Thanks Steve
 baldie 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Good work Steve, and Andy off course
 Andy Hardy 07 Dec 2016
In reply to baldie:

> Good work Steve, and Andy off course

Maybe we could show our appreciation, have a whip round, maybe buy them a compass?

DannyC 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Brilliant! Thanks for this. Logbook looks much better. Really looking forward to the topo. Lurcher's was becoming a candidate for the Most Popular Crag with the Most Out-of-Date Topo Award, perhaps only rivalled by No match for crag id:16730! So I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate it. Cheers, D.

OP Steve Perry 07 Dec 2016
In reply to DannyC:

> Brilliant! Thanks for this. Logbook looks much better. Really looking forward to the topo. Lurcher's was becoming a candidate for the Most Popular Crag with the Most Out-of-Date Topo Award, perhaps only rivalled by No match for crag id:16730!

Yes and I was partly to blame having been moderator for almost a year without doing anything. Hopefully I can keep on top of it now and head in at some point to get a good set of topo photos.
 Tricadam 21 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Steve/Andy, I don't suppose you guys have got a topo ready? With fingers crossed, can imagine Lurcher's being a potential option following the coming dumping of snow on westerlies...
 Andy Nisbet 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

The trouble is getting a picture (s). The crag is too big for one photo, and needs at least two. I have one of the right end which has been made into a topo which is in SMC Journal 2008 - can you get hold of that? But the left end is not so easy. It needs someone to go out on to Sron na Lairig on a nice day, preferably with good conditions (and therefore waste a climbing day) with a good camera.

Actually I'm about to try and go there today. But we may not get there with the current weather.
 Andy Nisbet 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I did go there today. Not very nice weather, but the turf was frozen enough to climb (just). No ice yet though.
 Dave McG 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Wouldn't be wasted if you climbed on Sron na Lairig though which is better than Lurcher's anyway!
 Tricadam 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Good effort, Andy! Did you get a satisfactory photo?

I don't have the SMC journals unfortunately. Perhaps I need to request them as a Christmas present!
 Andy Nisbet 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave McG:

> Wouldn't be wasted if you climbed on Sron na Lairig though which is better than Lurcher's anyway!

Not so easy to get to nowadays, with Rothiemurcas Lodge being banned. And we did all the new routes.
 Jim Braid 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Andy can you expand on Rothiemurchus Lodge being banned.

I've used the track up to the lodge for mountain bike access to Sron na Lairig etc and can't imagine that has changed. I also was aware it was only for service or ex-service personnel so never thought of it for accommodation. Were local guides etc able to use it even if they weren't ex-service?
 Andy Nisbet 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim Braid:

It's not banned for bikes, just for driving. MRT members and Glenmore Lodge used to have special permission. I was cheeky once and used it for guiding - got everyone banned. It did seem like "access for the boys".
 Sophie G. 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> But the left end is not so easy.

Maybe borrow a drone off that nice Mr McLeod?
 Jim Braid 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks Andy
OP Steve Perry 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Sophie G.: A bit windy for drones just now.

Sophie G. 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Yes, that's why you borrow Dave's, not take one of your own
 Mike-W-99 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

My low tech answer - bribe a hillwalker with a free guidebook.
 Andy Nisbet 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

It's not that easy. You need to know where the routes go in order to make sure all are visible in the shot. Also you need to be at an angle where the gullies show up. And it would be better with good ice, otherwise some routes don't show up.
 rif 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

The lighting in the GoogleEarth imagery is good for seeing where the gullies are, and you can pan, rotate and tilt to get a good face-on view. But there's only a little snow round the heads of the gullies and no ice.
OP Steve Perry 24 Dec 2016
 Tricadam 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Good work guys!
 leon 1 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry: Thank you for that. Very useful for when staying at Rothiemurcus

angry pirate 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Nice one. Thanks for that!
 John Lyall 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

At least two mistakes on this topo ! Eskimo Gully and Perception Gully should be swapped around.

Happy Christmas !
OP Steve Perry 24 Dec 2016
In reply to John Lyall:

Thanks John, Happy Christmas to you too.
 Andy Nisbet 26 Dec 2016
In reply to John Lyall:

Just the topo that is in the SMCJ 2008. Sorry, I'd either forgotten or didn't know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...