UKC

Post Graduate Certificates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
Has anyone done one of these or know much about them? They are a level 7 qualification so technically in the same level as a masters, but presumably not as prestigious, if only for the fact that they are less well known.

Are they a worthwhile qualification? Are they seen as a bit mickey mouse? Any employers here care to comment if they would look favourably on someone with this type of qualification?

I'm looking at doing one in Wireless Communication with 'accredited prior learning' (fancy term for non-standardised courses and industry experience) in lieu of a degree.

Any advice appreciated. It's not particularly cheap so I want to make sure!
 The New NickB 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:
A post graduate certificate is Masters level, but generally less volume of study. For example the OU used to be (may still well be) 2 modules at Masters level for a PGCert, 2 more for a PGDip and a final 2 for a Masters.

I've got a PGDip that I did straight after my degree 20 years ago that was a requirement of chartered membership of the main professional body relating to my degree subject. I did a PGCert in a different, but related subject many years later, part out of interest, part out of career development. I had to have a degree to get on both courses.
Post edited at 18:07
 MG 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

Be careful not to end up getting confused with someone who failed an MSc. They are sometimes awarded for this too.
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Thanks Nick. Yeah this one I'm looking at is 4 weeks full time and then you have to write a paper afterwards to submit.

In terms of eligibility, I have experience and lots of internal certificates (ie not nationally recognised like HNC or NVQ etc) that the uni is happy to accept as a substitute for a degree, which is handy!

Did you find that your PGCert carried any weight with employers? I suppose it was possibly overshadowed by your PGD?
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

Oh right, I didn't know that, that's helpful I'll make sure I specify! Hopefully the subject nature of the PGC I'm looking at will make it obvious, as it's fairly industry specific.
damhan-allaidh 08 Dec 2016
In reply to MG

Aren't they more generally offered PGCerts rather than Dips?
 Tall Clare 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

One question I'd want to ask is whether it could be added to later, to make a full Masters. I imagine some employers might perhaps ask that too.
 MG 08 Dec 2016
In reply to damhan-allaidh:

It depends how badly they fail!
In reply to Dave 88:

Something you might want to do in addition to asking employers their view, is to ask the course provider for data on the first destinations of course graduates, especially if you are trying to choose from more than one. It's supposed to be available on unistats, but often isn't or is rubbish. Employers may also have preferred providers.
In reply to MG:

Ah, that explains many things about my previous job.
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
It will give me 60 'uni points' I think is the term. Which I believe is equivalent to 1 year at uni. All very confusing, especially when the qualification is supposed to be in the same band as a masters.

I feel like these qualifications don't sit easily into the existing framework of classifying quals, and trying to force them in hasn't necessarily worked!
Post edited at 18:30
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016

They volunteered a long list of alumni first jobs and salaries, but who is to know if that's not just the best people they've had through the door, or did they have other qualifications that got them those jobs and not necessarily the PGC etc etc. Hard to tell.
 MG 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

> It will give me 60 'uni points' I think is the term. Which I believe is equivalent to 1 term at uni. All very confusing, especially when the qualification is supposed to be in the same band as a masters.

Points (normally "credits") measure volume of work, and you are right 60=1 semester. An MSc would be 180 and a diploma 120. Level is separate and a MSc, PGDip, and PGCert would all be at one of two levels - either final year UG equivalent, or one higher, depending a bit on institution.
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

This is definitely a level 7 qualification, which is kinda what has thrown me a bit, as it seems a very high level of qualification.
 MG 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

That's Masters level. Level 1is GCSE, for reference.
 Stevie A 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

I have an increasing number of students who take individual/combination MSc modules, and are awarded PGCert/PGDip qualifications. This is often attractive to, for example, allied health practitioners who may wish to develop skills in a certain area without the need to extend to the final research project (thereby gaining the full Master's). Of course, if students have not completed the full master's programme then they would be awarded a PGCert/Dip based on credits accumulated. Good luck with it!
In reply to Dave 88:

True. Differences and similarities in those lists can be telling. As can them offering it without you having to ask, or avoiding the issue. It's just another source of information, that's all.
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

That's what I mean, a masters level qualification in a month?! Seemed a bit fishy, but then as I said to TC, it's a more vocational style of course that probably doesn't sit too naturally in the level framework of academic courses.

They need to offer a course in understanding courses!
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016

Ah I get what you mean, compare unistats with the list I've already been provided. That's a good idea, thank you.
OP Dave 88 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Stevie A:

I think that's maybe what has been done here, to bias the qualification in a certain direction to fit the industry it's aimed at. Thanks very much.
 Mick Ward 08 Dec 2016
In reply to MG:

> Be careful not to end up getting confused with someone who failed an MSc.

Is it possible to fail an MSc (or owt else) these days?

Mick

mbh 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

Examples of qualifications at the different levels: Level 2 is GCSEs and equivalent, Level 3 is A levels, BTEC/CACHE Diplomas and Access courses, Levels 4/5/6 are Years 1,2,3 of a typical honours degree, while 4/5 would be an HND or Foundation Degree and Level 7 is Masters, as far as I understand it.

At any HE level, 120 credits is gained for one year of full-time study. Hence, you can study at Masters level, but not get a full Masters if you don't complete the required number of credits at that level. Nothing wrong with that if you get a subsidiary qualification out of it or can later top it up to get the actual Masters.
 Tall Clare 08 Dec 2016
In reply to mbh:

Surely 180 credits for a Masters, which can be done in a year? I've just finished one and that required 180 credits.
 The New NickB 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

The PGCert wasn't ever a required qualification, so it is hard to say how much help it has been.

It would concern me that the course you are looking at is only 3 weeks. I did mine part time in two four and a half month modules, which according to the guidance required on average 14 hours study a week.
 marsbar 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:

My teaching qualification is a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, it's a standard route into teaching and it was a 1 year course. I don't know anything about other subjects.
 marsbar 08 Dec 2016
In reply to mbh and MG. You are both right, but to clarify

Level 1 is around GCSE grades D and below and Level 2 is GCSE grade C and above.

Alan M 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave 88:
Post Graduate Certificates are basically the first 60 credits of a 180 credit Masters (Level 7).

I already have an MSc but just completed the first 20 credits (one module) of a Post Graduate Certificate.

Most CATS points can be transferred to other universities and count towards study with them as long as they fit the course and credit profile of the course.

My masters was
6 x 15 credit modules
1 x 30 credit module
1 x 60 credit module

If you passed the first 60 credits (4 modules at 15 credits) and left the course you were awarded the PG Cert. If you passed 120 credits (6 x 15 credits and 1 x 30 credit) and left the course you were awarded the PG Diploma if you did the final 60 credit module (the dissertation/research project) and passed then you gained an MSc.
Post edited at 00:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...