UKC

Mark Knopfler 'Piper to end'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 10 Dec 2016
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=610256&v=1#x7996594

Thread resurrection.

I just found out the story behind this song. Huge lump in throat.

In the National archives, there is a report of an officer in the 1st Tyneside Scottish, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders Regiment), summarizing the unit's operations on May 17 - 20, 1940 near Ficheux, France. The report is likely transcribed from a handwritten report set down in a POW camp.
Among other notable acts of gallantry and courage, the report includes the following:
"L/Cpl Laidler – a Piper to the last – taking his pipes into action and being killed with them."
Lance Corporal Laidler was Frederick John Laidler. He was just 20 years old when he was killed.

Had Lance Corporal Laidler survived and returned to his family, he would have been Mark Knopfler's "Uncle Freddie."

Knopfler describes the moment of Freddie's death in the latter's own words:

This has been a day to die on
Now the day is almost done
Here the pipes will lay beside me
Silent will the battle drum

MonkeyPuzzle 10 Dec 2016
In reply to TMM:

This is what happens when bagpipes are played near those with firearms.
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Amusing but you don't get a like from me in this instance.

A bit out of place for my liking in response to a moving and poignant op.
OP TMM 10 Dec 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Interesting reply.

Enough blood has been spilt to protect your right to make your glib remark. Gallows humour, or black humour has always been an important part of our culture but an element of respect for the sacrifices made to allow us to enjoy the comparatively free and peaceful lives we have would also be nice.

Enjoy the rest of your day, whatever it is you do, but perhaps find some time to quietly reflect on the actions of past generations and those who continue to want to learn from their experiences and sacrifices.
 elsewhere 10 Dec 2016
In reply to TMM:
1st Tyneside Scottish (TS) was the 12th Durham Light Infantry (DLI) until 1939 and they fought alongside DLI in Normandy.
My dad (11th DLI) will have heard L/Cpl Laidler's successor play the lament in 1944 when the 1st TS came out of the line having taken a pasting to hold off the SS at Rauray.

My dad didn't like the bagpipes - may have been on musical grounds or may have brought back bad memories.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...