UKC

Giggleswick Quarry up for sale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheelba 11 Dec 2016
It seems quite greedy given the fact that there is so much great climbing on the scar but the quarry is currently up for sale. Not sure whether the BMC might be interested or hopefully whether some new owners might be more open to climbing there. Just from the pictures it looks like there is plenty of potential.

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/14941315.Buyer_wanted_for___39_fabulous_...
 Seymore Butt 19 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Shouldn't this message be in the for sale/wanted forum, maybe some of the Leeds boys might be interested.
 JJL 19 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Given that they've extracted all the decent limestone I imagine its a choss nest now.
 Jimbo C 19 Dec 2016
In reply to JJL:

> Given that they've extracted all the decent limestone I imagine its a choss nest now.

Well, maybe not. They have extracted all they can within the boundary of the quarrying license, but the 'boundary wall' could be made of decent rock.
OP sheelba 19 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

I've heard people used to sneak in and climb there so there is presumably something worth climbing
 Angry old man 20 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

A number of routes were established by Yorkshire activists on the wall on the right as you walk in, easiest route F6B as I recollect.
The routes were subsequently de-bolted at the instruction of the owners who I understand had previously refused access.
 griffer boy 20 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

The wall on the right had a dozen really good routes(for a quarry) up to about 7b+, lots more potential around the rest of the quarry and this looked good (for a quarry), possibilities for a good zip wire and mountain biking, I believe there are a number of newts kicking about as well
OP sheelba 20 Dec 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Apparently it was offered to Yorkshire wildlife trust for free but they didn't want it as people occasionally throw themselves off the top. Someone is apparently looking to turn it into a velodrome which seems like an odd idea. I went for a walk round there today it doesn't look any less chossy than some of the other popular chossy holes like horseshoe or tintern. There's a very tall wall on the left which looks like it might give some long routes on the corner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...