UKC

NEWS: Andy Parkin's Studio Fire - Community Appeal Launched

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Dec 2016
Andy Parkin at work on one of his sculptures, 4 kbChamonix-based British alpinist and artist Andy Parkin lost his Les Praz workshop and belongings to a fire this past weekend, which broke out during the night, completely destroying three arts and crafts studios.

In response to the disaster, the Chamonix and international climbing community have launched an online appeal to raise funds to help support the three artists who lived and worked in the 'Moulin des Artistes'.

Read more
 Mark Collins 12 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a terrifically rubbish Christmas Present. I'd like to donate but don't trust myself on a French website. Anyone got an English link/translation solution please? I played around with Google's tools for a while but didn't get where I wanted to be.
In reply to Mark Collins:
English text is on the bottom half of the page. Click on the orange button 'Je participe' on the top right hand side to donate.

------------------------------------------------------

On the night of Friday 9th December to Saturday 10th December 2016 the « Moulin des artistes », a local artists workshop and popular gallery located in Le Praz in the Chamonix valley, was completely destroyed by a fire.

In a spirit of solidarity, the community of Chamonix will be fundraising for the artists affected: Peter Steltzner, Anati Graetz and Andy Parkin. An event to raise support will be organized by the Boutch a Boutch association this Friday the 16th December. We will keep you informed of the venue and other details. The Chamonix crowd funding initiative is supported by the Boutch a Boutch association.

History:

The "Moulin des artistes" is a site of historical interest in Chamonix ; formerly the grain mill and saw mill serving the residents of the village of Les Praz. It is believed to have been built in the 16th century.

In the early 1990s, the mill and its buildings were converted into an artistic workshop by the sculptor Philippe Vouillamoz and Andy Parkin, famous English artist-mountaineer.

Since then, the "Moulin" has become a well known place in Chamonix. In 2010 Peter Steltzner and his partner Anati Graetz arrived and started the production of wooden skis. In just a few years, the "Rabbit On The Roof" ski brand has become a point of reference for passionate skiers, artists and lovers of hand made equipment. The Moulin has hosted Exhibitions, meetings, readings and charity evenings for Nepal, for the project of Vanessa Francois "El cap à bout de bras" and many other community projects too numerous to name. This place had a great heart and a beautiful soul, let us help to keep this spirit going!

The funds raised will support the artists affected by the disaster; Peter Steltzner (founder of the ski wooden brand "Rabbit On The Roof"), Anati Graetz (artist-painter) and Andy Parkin (sculptor and painter). Not only has the fire destroyed their works of art - their tools, personal possessions and place of living have also disappeared overnight.

To find out more :

The ski's « Rabbit On The Roof » : http://www.rabbitontheroof.net/fr/

Andy Parkin's web site : http://www.andyparkin.com/fr/

Short films about the « Moulin des Artistes » : vimeo.com/88357419 and https://www.instagram.com/p/BNEYHllBeCe/

Donate as little or as much as you wish.
All payments are secure
Post edited at 12:38
 Mark Collins 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks, its the money side I'm having difficulty with though. They did just send me an email though some how, but that's in French too. Damn my lazy language learning ways!
 Mick Ward 12 Dec 2016

> What a terrifically rubbish Christmas Present.

What a terrifically great Christmas present!

I've got fond memories of evening soloing sessions out on the grit with Andy. Whatever he's cared about - whether climbing or art - he's always put so much heart and soul into it. I can well imagine his Kendal trophies are cherished.

Surely most of us have far more stuff than we need? Why get even more just 'cos it's Christmas... Andy's had hard times; he came back from horrendous injuries to become one of the best alpinists ever. And now this. It must be gutting for his mates and him.

Helping them would be a good deed. And our troubled world needs good deeds - now more than ever.

Mick

djwilse 12 Dec 2016

The translation for the donate page is roughly as follows:
(If you want the email translated you can send it to me)

Prénom First Name
Nom Surname
Adresse email Email
Votre date de naissance Date of Birth
Choisissez le montant de votre participation
Choose the amount to donate
Participations masques par défaut Donations hidden by default (or you can show this my unclicking)

Choisissez votre moyen de paiement :
Choose payment method

PARTICIPER DE xx€ Donation amount ..
En validant votre paiement vous acceptez nos CGU, politique de confidentialité et mentions légales
By validating your payment you accept our Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy and Disclaimer
 Jamie Hageman 12 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News:

This is sad news indeed. From a fellow mountain artist to another, I'm auctioning my framed drawing of Blencathra for the appeal. See my facebook page for details - https://www.facebook.com/JamieHagemanMountainArtist/

It's a blind auction so message me through here with your top bid. The highest wins and the money goes to the appeal. I'll pay for UK postage. Bidding ends 9pm Thursday 15th December.

I've uploaded a photo of the drawing on my gallery here, but it hasn't appeared yet.

Cheers, Jamie

Mark Collins 13 Dec 2016
In reply to djwilse:

Thank you
 slab_happy 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> What a terrifically great Christmas present!

I'm guessing that (since he was trying to donate) Mark Collins meant the fire was a "terrifically rubbish Christmas present" for Parkin and his colleagues? That's how I read it, anyway -- I doubt anyone would debate the worthiness of the cause here.
Removed User 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

That's a lovely picture Jamie. I'm too broke right now to put in a realistic bid I'm afraid. Lovely gesture too.
 Jamie Hageman 13 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC News: Does anyone know if they had insurance and what the deal with that is if they did?

Neil Henson 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Pretty sure that Mark's comment was about the fire itself being a typically rubbish Christmas present.
 Mark Collins 15 Dec 2016
In reply to slab_happy and Neil Henson:

Thanks both, you're right about how I intended my post to be understood. Although shoddily initiated, I would like to echo the overall sentiment of Mick's post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...