UKC

Which Full Suspension Mountain Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 12 Dec 2016
I've recently taking to riding a mountain bike while recovering from a bit of a running injury. And discovered that it's great fun. I've been hammering around rough trails on an old hardtail bike that I picked up second hand. But after chatting to a few more experienced MTB types I've been convinced that it might be worth investing in a full suspension bike. But there's a bewildering choice. Price as ever is a consideration and I would baulk at maying many thousands of pounds for a bike. But I'd rather pay for a quality bike that I enjoy and that lasts rather than try to economise. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for, new or second hand and where I should start.
 GDes 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I've had a Boardman full sus for three and a bit years now, and have given it a lot of abuse. It's still going well with a couple of services here and there. For £1200 I think they're pretty amazing value...

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike...
 ChrisJD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Its pretty hard to answer without knowing your actual budget, what type of riding you want to do on it, what travel bracket you are in and wheel size preference.

- Budget
- Rding style
- Front/Rear Travel
- Wheel size
OP alastairmac 12 Dec 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Remember I'm a bit of a beginner..... so I'm not quite sure what you mean by riding style or front/rear travel. A bit of a do it all bike for rough terrain. Largely trails and forestry tracks with quite a bit of uphill and downhill. And possibly more technical things in the future. Wheel size 27.5 A budget of up to £3,000 tops.
 ChrisJD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

SO:
- Budget: up to £3k
- Riding style: General Cross Country fun
- Front/Rear Travel: 120mm to 140mm of travel front & rear
- Wheel size: 27.5

I reckon the new revamped 2017 Giant Anthem could be the ticket (I don't ride a Giant, but lots of mates do and the mechanics I know seem to like them as well). The Alloy frame with good components (Anthem-1), or the carbon frame offering with cheaper components (Anthem Advanced-2).

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/mountain-bikes
KevinD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I would be tempted to wait. Decide what sort of riding you fancy and then go from there.
Travel is how much suspension front and back. If you want to play going down big hills then more is often better but that can end up being shit on more normal trails.
Possibly hire bikes at trail centre to get a range of styles. It might be if you end up liking more xc stuff a 29 bike might suit you better.
 blurty 12 Dec 2016
In reply to KevinD:
> I would be tempted to wait. Decide what sort of riding you fancy and then go from there.

> Travel is how much suspension front and back. If you want to play going down big hills then more is often better but that can end up being shit on more normal trails.

> Possibly hire bikes at trail centre to get a range of styles. It might be if you end up liking more xc stuff a 29 bike might suit you better.

Defo - Buy a second hand full susser if you must, but leave the final purchase for 12 months. Try to get to a couple of trail centres and see if that might become your thing. Ditto some big days out in the mountains (Hellvelyn, Snowdon).

It's quite hard to find a single bike that will be good for XC, and trail centres - unless you get one of the new breed of 27.5 plus, and 29 interchangeably wheeled bikes. (& £3k would be a bit tight for those)
Post edited at 14:58
> The Alloy frame with good components (Anthem-1), or the carbon frame offering with cheaper components (Anthem Advanced-2).

If you're splashing the cash on a brand new bike go for the better frame -- the components you can always upgrade as you go along.

In reply to alastairmac:

> Largely trails and forestry tracks with quite a bit of uphill and downhill. And possibly more technical things in the future. Wheel size 27.5 A budget of up to £3,000 tops.

tbh ... sounds like a good hard tail would do the job without the extra cost or maintenance issues with suspension (esp during the winter). £3,000 would buy a lot of hardtail -- poss look at something like the Scott Scale or Giant XTC -- I plumped for a carbon XTC and love it,
In reply to alastairmac:

Thanks very much for all those responses. It's really helpful. I think I'll follow your advice and try borrowing or renting a few models before committing myself to a purchase.
KevinD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to exiled_northerner:

> tbh ... sounds like a good hard tail would do the job without the extra cost or maintenance issues with suspension

Yeah shouldnt be ruled out. Personally I still only have a hardtail since for 95% of my riding it really is more fun. On the local trails full sus does flatten it out a bit too much for my liking.
That said when I go away it does feel a bit more..interesting.

ChrisJD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

> discovered that it's great fun. I've been hammering around rough trails on an old hardtail bike that I picked up second hand.

Where have you been riding?

mark hounslea 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:
Get your self a second hand boardman on e bay for less than £600
 edordead 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

+1 for a Giant Anthem

My 2011 26" wheel X4 has done everything from trail centres through XC, up and down Snowdon and spent two weeks this summer thrashing downhill trails in the Alps. The frame seems pretty bombproof - still on it's original bearings after a lot of hard mileage. Easy to maintain, good specs.

E
In reply to ChrisJD:

An old Orange Clockwork 120 that I picked up for a few hundred pounds. I've not got much to compare it against since t's the only MTB that I've really ridden but it's been great generally. I'll hold onto it whatever I do.
 ChrisJD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I asked where, not what
Billy T 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

You've already sampled the delights of an Orange, as I have. I used to have a clockwork then moved up to a Five which would be great option, a possibly even better option would be the new Four, it pretty nimble and light and equally good at uphill and downhill.
Have a look for demoes
 Ben07 12 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

How old is your bike?? These are good bikes. If I were you I'd just spend a bit if money upgrading.
Get some good tyres. Dropper seatpost. Wide handlebars and short stem. Maybe new brakes. you could get all that for less than £300. This would make a huge difference to how itfeels.

Especially now it's winter. and muddy as f*ck for the next 4 months.Cleaning a full sus all the time is prettyannoying compared to a hardtail.
I'd recommend waiting for a while before spending a shit load on a bike. 3k. Is a lot of money. You can get some thing second hand that cost 3k new. Is 2 years old hardly been ridden. For a lot less than half price.
There's a good face book group called 'ross's rides'. Have a look on there. Some proper bargains! Personally I would never buy new!
 GDes 12 Dec 2016
Why wait for a year? You're not deciding wether to have kids or not. Just get on and buy one and start enjoying getting out on it. To be honest, for the average joe rider, can you really tell the subtle differences between brands and models? They're all designed to do what you want them to do. If £3000 is your budget (which for bombing round trail centres is completely ott in my opinion), just get to a shop and choose one and start enjoying it asap
 peachos 13 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Go direct. There's a few brands that sell direct to customer, so cut out the distribution chain and associated costs, meaning you get a very well specc'd bike for a reasonable price. Look at YT Industries, Canyon, Radon, On One, Bird.

Based on what you've said you're enjoying (fun) I'd go for a 140-150mm front & rear - will serve you well on most terrain. This is around mid-travel these days (160-170mm has become the norm for long travel). None of them are pigs to ride any more really - you'll struggle to find a crap bike.
MarkM 13 Dec 2016
In reply to peachos:

Also on the go direct option and in your budget range check out https://www.airdropbikes.com/. If you;re around Sheffield area can probably get a test ride sorted too.
 Toccata 13 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

I bought a Whyte T129 RS and it is brilliant. However I still use the hard tail 90% of the time and am wondering, in retrospect, if I'd buy it again.
 ChrisJD 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Ben07:

> Get some good tyres. Dropper seatpost. Wide handlebars and short stem. Maybe new brakes. you could get all that for less than £300.

Good tyres: £40-£60 each
Dropper seatpost (worth having) >£250.
Bars worth having >£40
Short Stem worth having £30-£100
New Brakes (worth having) F&R, with disks & adaptors >£150

tjin 13 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

If you recently started, then i'll focus on improving skills instead of the bike. A fully corrects some of your bad skills, but it's better to learn to things properly on a hardtail first instead. Skill provides a much beter base for the future.
 blurty 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Toccata:

Just replaced my Whyte 129 with a Cotic Rocket - it's put the fun back into cycling for me
chambers.mark 13 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

i have seen these bikes seem to be very interesting and new. I asked their retail prices seemed to be very reasonable.

Professional - full carbon
http://www.ciclielios.co.uk/portfolio/ciclielios-krox-hardtailmtb/
Price roughly : £ 2700 or so * best ask your shop

http://www.ciclielios.co.uk/portfolio/hardtail-mtb-limit/
Price roughly : £ 1700 or so * best ask your shop

there are others there aswell

charliesdad 13 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

It's worth exploiting the rapid "churn" of new bikes in this very fashion-conscious market place; 2016 models of any bike are already heavily discounted, and will drop further in the New Year. In many cases the "new" 2017 models will be pretty similar to last years, with largely cosmetic tweaks; My bike cost £1500, down from £2300 and is indistinguishable from the 2017 model.
 Ben07 13 Dec 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:
Second hand reverbs go for around 100 regularly. I got a virtually brand new set of shinano xt m8000brakes for 90 recently. Chain reaction do stem and bar bundles for £50 that are plenty good enough for almost everyone. The good schwalbe eco tyres can be got brand new for £35 each. So call it £350 for all that if you don't mind buying a few second hand bits.
Second hand market for bike parts is massive! Loads of bargains to be had!
***Schwalbe evo. Not the cheap performance
Post edited at 18:46
 pacman 13 Dec 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

"Dropper seatpost (worth having) >£250."

The one I bought for £60 (link below) is well worth having; not very pretty it but goes up and down fine, even after a couple of years abuse and zero maintenance. All the joys of riding with a dropper and none of the cost, reliability or fitting problems of the fancier ones.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/gear-news/rsp-plummet-the-cheapes...
 ChrisJD 13 Dec 2016
In reply to pacman:

If you are on a budget and don't mind something ugly and heavy

But, no stealth routing, no long travel and not pretty - so not worth having
 ChrisJD 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Ben07:

> Second hand reverbs go for around 100 regularly

Yep, and I've bought a couple at that price and have been lucky.

But its a real lottery with 2nd hand reverbs outside of warranty (pre the lastest internals to be fair) and its a gamble I probably wouldn't take again.

In reply to alastairmac:

... if you've got up to £3,000.00... its a no-brainer...

http://www.whyte.bike/t130rs

... won a shed load of awards over the past two years - perfect for UK riding...
In reply to alastairmac:
Modern full sus bikes, will do everything well. Pick up something like a well specked YT Capra for well under you budget and you can enjoy local trails and really have fun at Bike Park Wales on all the runs there too. Ignore those saying don't go for it yet, life's too short.
In reply to Richard Wheeldon: Despite my comments below (or above) I would not disagree, great all round bike.

neuromancer 14 Dec 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

Go to STW (or eBay) and you can pick up a huge shiny chunk of carbon and metal for very little from the last guy who decided they want to take the sport up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...