UKC

Annual travel insurance advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 14 Dec 2016

I'm looking at my options for climbing/skiing and travel insurance for 2017. Instead of BMC I'm looking at Austrian Alpine Club for the skiing and climbing, but that needs the addition of a travel policy.

Can anyone advise on a good travel policy (world wide excluding North America, or worldwide) ?
 Cú Chullain 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Used to have an annual policy with Trail finders that was pretty comprehensive compared to your average high street holiday insurance. Pretty robust cover for the more riskier activities, diving, skiing, sailing etc and if memory serves cover up to altitudes of 6000m for trekking/climbing.
OP Postmanpat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Thanks. Given that the AAC insurance covers the climbing/skiing bit, I'm not sure the travel insurance needs to be anything other than regular travel insurance although it might be the best belt and braces option.
 pec 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Thanks. Given that the AAC insurance covers the climbing/skiing bit, I'm not sure the travel insurance needs to be anything other than regular travel insurance although it might be the best belt and braces option. >

The AAC is very basic insurance. Bear in mind that the 'regular' insurance may well not actually cover you if the cause of your accident was from an uninsured activity.
Basically the AAC will pay for your rescue and your EHIC card will cover some medical costs but not necessarily all and doesn't cover stuff like repatriation costs. Normal insurance probably won't pay out for these if the reason you need them was because you were climbing.
Always read the small print!

OP Postmanpat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to pec:

> The AAC is very basic insurance. Bear in mind that the 'regular' insurance may well not actually cover you if the cause of your accident was from an uninsured activity.

> Basically the AAC will pay for your rescue and your EHIC card will cover some medical costs but not necessarily all and doesn't cover stuff like repatriation costs. Normal insurance probably won't pay out for these if the reason you need them was because you were climbing.

> Always read the small print!

Thanks, that's what worries me! BMC isn't cheap but it does seem to cover most bases.
 pec 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Thanks, that's what worries me! BMC isn't cheap but it does seem to cover most bases. >

Have you tried Snowcard, they sometimes work out cheaper than the BMC and offer the same sort of level of cover.

Pyreneenemec 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
I'm insured via my French Alpine Club membership.

Principal cover is as follows :

Medical repatriation
- Advance of medical fees abroad up to 80.000 €
- Mortal remains repatriation
- Advance of penal guarantee abroad up to 8.000 €
- Research and rescues fees up to 30.000 € per event.

The insurance element of my membership is €21 plus €74 for the National body and local club, in my case Toulouse.

Membership gives decent discounts at a number of outdoor shops, notably "Au Vieux Campeur" where it is 20%.

There are also discounts at many Pyreneene ski-resorts and probably in the Alps, too.
Post edited at 11:21
 1poundSOCKS 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Can anyone advise on a good travel policy (world wide excluding North America, or worldwide) ?

I've used Sports Cover Direct a few times, but maybe just for Europe. Seems to be a pretty comprehensive policy, and was cheaper than the BMC.
Post edited at 11:43
 LastBoyScout 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I have been using Voyager annual cover for several years - various levels available. Originally done through my insurance broker - my uncle, who also uses them and has had to claim on them for a ski rescue - but now done directly.

http://www.voyagertravelinsurance.co.uk/

They are very helpful on the phone if you have specific requirements.

I paid for a 1-day upgrade for when I did the Etape du Tour, just to make sure I was covered.
 blurty 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I also rely on AAC for climbing/ ski-touring etc, and have an annual M&S travel policy for the non-mountain cover.

M&S cover is quite 'top end' but the annual policy was the best for me in terms of cover Vs cost. (I ought to add this is a family policy)
 GridNorth 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

There appears to be some confusion on here with regard to activity insurance and travel insurance, despite you explaining what it is exactly that you need. I have used AAC combined with travel insurance that I just get from one of the comparison sites. The two together, for annual cover, still cost less than single trip cover with the BMC who I was with for many years until they increased their premiums significantly and now load them when you are older. With AAC I actually pay less.

Al
OP Postmanpat 16 Dec 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks. So my follow up question is , which travel to insurance0 do u use?
 Brass Nipples 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Buy it once a year and no more frequently

GridNorth 17 Dec 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I wait and see what's on offer nearer the time and what the comparison site recmmends.

Travel insurance is one of those things that I'm a little dubious about. It's the things it doesn't cover that seem to happen to me and IMO these are the things most likely to happen. It's worth noting that Easyjet do a missed flight cover which is an eventuality that is more likely to happen.

Al
 Robert Durran 17 Dec 2016
In reply to GridNorth:
> Travel insurance is one of those things that I'm a little dubious about. It's the things it doesn't cover that seem to happen to me and IMO these are the things most likely to happen.

Those will be the little things. The important thing is to have the big things, which are unlikely to happen but which would bankrupt you if they did, really well covered.

I've just taken out a year's worldwide (excl. USA) policy with BMC and was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost (about the same as Sports Cover Direct, which I used last time because BMC won't cover more than 45 days in USA).
Post edited at 17:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...