UKC

Salomon X-ALP MTN boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jkewley 14 Dec 2016
Does anyone have any experience of Salomon's X-ALP boots in British winter conditions?

I'd be looking at them for easier Grade 1 gullies and general winter use.

I've never got on with fully stiffened boots.

Cheers

JK
In reply to Jkewley:

Not British winter but I have a pair that I used in the Alps last summer.

Overall, they are great - massively easier to hike in and climb rock in. They are terrifying on hard ice as too much flex to front point in and although the soles are stiff enough to edge on snow, once you've got crampons on the lack of ankle support makes traversing hard going. Not that either of those will be of too much concern for grade I.

However, they are basically glorified trainers; amazingly light but clearly not going to last all that long or especially warm. Unless you're really after the lightest possible boot I'd probably go for a pair of 'normal' B1s instead.
 Pete Houghton 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Jkewley:

They are a great shoe, I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to move fast over easier ground. I use them a lot for walk-in ski approaches and easy alpine routes. Grade 1 gullies shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

vscott 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Jkewley:
In short - great for easy winter ground - crazy light, laterally stiff enough to edge but front to back flexible, work superbly on snow and easy-moderate mixed, not stiff enough to front point on ice. The MTN model has a more conventional and likely durable boot-style upper than the minimal carbon model.
more thoughts here - https://vivinthehills.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/review-salomon-x-alp-carbon-...
 wbo 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Jkewley: happy to see some more reviews of these before I drop the cash. They look perfect for very long scrambling days in Norway with long approaches and exits. Durability has been my concern but that's rather allayed now by these reports.

To people who've used them - how tight did you fit them?

vscott 16 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:
Find Salomon small for size - take 1/2 size up from scarpa, sportiva etc.
 Neil Pratt 16 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:

I've got them in my usual size (45) and they fit fine - they're a bit more roomy than some of the other Salomon shoes I've tried on. Lovely light boots, although I'm not sure I'd want to wear them in the depths of winter; I reckon you'd get pretty cold feet fairly quickly unless you size up and wear a couple of pairs of socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...