UKC

Ice Climbing in Switzerland...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Lavin 14 Dec 2016
...is it all as hard as looks?

There doesn't seem to be the range of WI3s and WI4s that you see in the other parts of the Alps. Having said that, I'm basing this on what I've seen in the Alpine Ice book, I've not seen Hot Ice.

Thanks,

Rob.
 planetmarshall 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Robert Lavin:

Ice Climbing in Switzerland? I thought there was only bouldering.
 jonnie3430 14 Dec 2016
There were a few fun ice falls on the way to the road on the way down from the chairlift at Kandersteg, I think at gasterntal. I imagine the rest of the country is like that, the famous routes are in guidebooks, the rest are there for exploring?
Post edited at 12:14
The Papa Lazarou 14 Dec 2016

Have you looked at Zinal? Seem to remember (although it was over a decade ago)there were at least half a dozen routes there of W.I3 or 4 & a really good two pitch grade 5(Cascade la Le?).One route was a gulley called Goulotte Cache which was very worthwhile.... I seem to recall you started up some easy dry tooling moves(probably banked out in a good snow year)to get into a chimney that looked like it had been filled with garden waste & frozen up(bare with me it gets better!)then some steep water ice steps opening up to a big icy bowl at the top with choices of exit & a steep descent through the trees with some fixed cables or chains....much better than it sounds....honest!
 kingjam 14 Dec 2016

I have a mate who climbs in Switzerland a lot. His blog might help http://icesnowfearandlaughter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/kandersteg.html
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Ice Climbing in Switzerland? I thought there was only bouldering.

And cheese
 Pay Attention 15 Dec 2016

At Gouille on the road from Sion up to Arolla there is a bolted ice fall opposite the Bar du Lac Bleu. I've not actually climbed on it, but it looks amenable and is so conveniently placed for a couple of days practise.

There is another icefall in the Aiguilles rouges area I saw while si touring a few years ago. It looked substantial. Again I think it's a 3 - 4.

It may come to mind soon.
OP Robert Lavin 18 Dec 2016

Thanks all. Some leads to look at there.

Rob.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...