UKC

Recommend 40l sack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Dec 2016
I need to replace my 40l rucksack. I have tried a number of options but haven't found anything suitable yet. I need a 40l for gear and clothing. I want a simple design, no need for fancy weighty bits n Bobs. Need two ice axe attachments, ability to carry mountaineering skis, light waist belt. Prefer a fat sack with easy access as opposed to tall and thin as I tend not to climb with it. No fiddly buckles. Although im only 5 foot 2 I have used men's sacks in the past. Ruled out the following thus far: macpac pursuit- metal frame, montane alpinist - tall and slim, deuter 35+ - not sure capacity is big enough, milet triton -don't like side buckling waist belt. Any ideas? Pod sacs no longer made. Thanks
 Exile 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Give Aguille Alpine a look. They're very similar to the original pod sacs but with the added advantage that, as they are made to order, you can have whichever features added / taken off that you want, and made to a specific back length.

Removed User 19 Dec 2016

Have a look at the Mammut sacks - I have exactly what you're describing which has been my goto sack for years, especially for ski mountaineering. This looks like the new version.
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/mammut-lithium-crest-s-30-7-touring-backpack/?...

There a good review on OUtdoorgearlab of these kind of sacks. The Black Diamond Speed 40 is another contender.

I also have a pod 42L for sale on here if you're interested in a pod sack. Its a size 2 medium black ice.
 Greylag 19 Dec 2016

Blue Ice Warthog 38l?

Simple as they get.
 More-On 19 Dec 2016

Have you looked at Blue Ice?
I love my two warthogs as they are light, devoid of clutter and fit me very well. They are also tough as old boots.
Not tried the newer versions though...
 zimpara 19 Dec 2016
May I introduce you to the Haglofs Roc speed 40

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/hagloefs-roc-speed-40-climbing-backpack/
I've just done a review that I'll put on youtube for you. Very minimal waist strap and It is rather short in the back too.
Post edited at 21:34
2powern 19 Dec 2016

At the risk of sounding daft... Deuter Guide 45?
 AlanLittle 19 Dec 2016

I'm very happy with my Vaude Croz

http://www.vaude.com/en-FI/Products/mountain-climbing/Croz-38-8-hydro-blue....

I have the 48 litre version. Can't comment on sizing for the less lengthy alpinist as I'm six foot. Super comfy carry, good closure system for when you're not using the lid, reasonably light. Does have a metal frame, which you mentioned not liking, but it's unobtrusive.
 resqueman 19 Dec 2016

CRUX bags.
 Tricadam 19 Dec 2016

Patagonia Ascensionist. It comes in 35 or 45 litre versions (and 25 too, if you end up wanting the set.) Make sure you go for the shorter back option. Very light, simple and versatile and remarkably comfy to carry.
 RhysRolfe 20 Dec 2016

I have the alpine attack 35:45 ticks all the boxes except the shape which is fairly tall, seems bigger than advertised, I can carry everything I need for a night out plus personal climbing kit and rack and rope no hassle and can climb with it which is a bonus.
 HeMa 20 Dec 2016

What you want seems to be a climbing sack, that is not made for climbing... All the specs, bar fat (instead of tall & thin) are normally the stuff you find on climbing sack.

So your best bet is actually a "cheapo" wannabe hiking sack... but generally they're shite.

Moddin' the heck out of a "cragsack" might also work, but again a lot of work.

Or you accept the fact that they sacs tend to be a tad tall & thin (ie. slim) and then pick the one that suits ya the best.
In which case I would suggest the Blue Ice as well.

If you forget the skis, a ~50l haulbag might suit ya as well. Tough as nails, and you can cram everything in, including axes. For the record, that is my "sack" for the stuff that does not require clim´bing with said sack...
 Anti-faff 20 Dec 2016

+1 for the Patagonia Ascensionist. Ace piece of kit, though I find the top pocket a bit small and attaching a rope to the outside is a bit tricky.

Alternatively you could have a look at these https://www.cuillinsacs.com/products/detail/cuillin-3. I haven't used them but they look pretty bomber and tick most of your boxes.
 wercat 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Exile:

Not to mention you can drop in when you are in the Lakes and discuss face to face what you want. My sac is I think 47 real litres, but I've used it for everything from Alpine and winter mountaineering and scrambling in the Cuillin. Its retired sibling goes to the crag.
I've just bought a TNF Shadow 30+10, really like it and got a good price on sale. They do a 40+10 which may be better for you, although both are on the slim side.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/shadow-3010

I was replacing a Crux RK30 (old version) which I loved (minimal, super tough) but it has finally died the death. Just too pricey now. They do larger sacks you might want to look at. Mammut now also make a similar sack.

http://www.crux.uk.com/product/rk30

I also recently bought a Mountain Hardware expedition sack, which is really well made. Something like an Outdry/ RT 40 may suit you?

My daily crag sack is an old school Pod Black Ice, which'll outlast me I suspect! Such a shame if they've gone. The Cuillin looks to have some similar qualities though.

Interested to hear what you go for.
Post edited at 08:58
 LucaC 20 Dec 2016
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

I've used a Black Diamond Speed 40 for exactly what you've described, but it might be a bit tall and thin for your requirements.
 zimpara 20 Dec 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=2jnUbq6wzZg&

Here's that review. It's rough! Like everything I put up
 KA 20 Dec 2016

I would strongly consider the Lowe Alpine Alpine Attach 35:45. I've used one fairly extensively for everything from summer cragging, winter and alpine climbing and ski touring, and have found it to be very comfortable, not to mention bombproof.
 Jim 1003 20 Dec 2016

Quecha decathlon 50 l, light and strong, best sack I've had, good adjustment, £64, why pay more? 2 year guarantee with them. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-easyfit-50l-hiking-rucksack-blue-id_8300...
 Tricadam 20 Dec 2016
Removed User 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Exile:

I bought a sack from aiguille alpine a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I got talked into buying the all singing and dancing version. When it arrived I thought that's not what I want and gave it to my climbing partner. Worried about their workmanship..I bought a guidebook cover and first time I used it zip broke. Got it repaired and again on first use the stitching came away. Have you had any problems?
Removed User 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

The cuillen sacks do look good. Think I will take a look at a few of the models mentioned next time I'm in the lakes and seriously consider an aiguille or cuillen.
 Exile 20 Dec 2016

I've got two of their sacs - the 33 litre one, with some changes, as my winter sac and the 30 litre zip up one as a crag sac. The workmanship has been excellent - absolutely no issues at all. My wife did work for a well known rucksack brand so I had a good number of their sacs over the years as well as competitors to test. I probably didn't have a 'bad' sac in all that time, but on simplicity, durability, weight and workmanship I'd choose Aguille over them all.

Denni 21 Dec 2016

Arcteryx Khamski:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKM1ars7DT8&
 wercat 21 Dec 2016

Yes, my first Aiguille sack has a bit of stiching that has come away. I've had it since 1997, years of serious use, climbing, winter (hundreds of outings) many many long days on Skye, carrying heavy stuff around, Alps. Trouble is the actual material is wearing through in places so is it worth having a bit of stiching re-done? It's still good for the crag.

They sold me a replacement made to the same spec at my request (they'd changed the design a bit by then) about 9 years ago which is still good despite having had a hard life as well.
 wercat 21 Dec 2016

I suppose the other problem was getting a phone call "The sac you asked for is finished and you can pick it up.." Having to drive down to pick it up from the people who'd made it, what a bore!
 payney1973 21 Dec 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:
Blue ice bags = awesome
Post edited at 22:12
In reply to 2powern:

I looked at Deuter Guide but felt it is a ridiculously bulky and overpadded pack.
 nniff 22 Dec 2016

I've not had any problems with my Aiguille Alpine - thoroughly well made.
Its replacement is a Blue Ice Yeti - a bit bigger, at 50 litres, than you're after but immensely comfy and well made. Fits the 'stout' requirement well, but slims down well when needed.
 Tricadam 23 Dec 2016
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Deuter Guide is very comfy and very tough, climbs well, the side access zip is dead handy and it overstuffs plenty. The problem is you pay for it in weight...
 stratandrew 23 Dec 2016

Crux - the new 3G AK range are excellent and IMHO worth the serious premium. AK47-X is very versatile and only 1200g unstripped. Also +1 for Aiguille, I had my 65+15 exped sac custom made for my back length and it's good for a 30kg load. I reckon both of these will still be going strong long after my knees have worn out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...