UKC

Dolomites last week June or first of July?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 20 Dec 2016
Just about to book for the Dolomites, would first week of July be better than last of june. i am thinking just gives a little longer for the snow to go. Am I on the right lines?
 ripper 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Lenin:

I've organised three trips to the dollies - sella pass area - always in the last week of June (reasoning that crowding levels, and prices, would be lower). The first two trips, which I went on, had great conditions for climbing, although there were still some snow patches on ascents/descents. The third trip, which I didn't go on, had a lot of snow and pretty much everything high-ish was out. Does that help? probably not much....
J1234 20 Dec 2016
In reply to ripper:

Cheers. Its the best anyone could do really. So thank you.
 ripper 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Lenin:

Also probably depends partly on what you want to do - eg climbs on vertical faces could be in fine condition while the highest via ferratas (vias ferrata? vie ferrate?) could be snowed under.
J1234 20 Dec 2016
In reply to ripper:

I am hoping to do one of the Aretes on Tofana or the Punta Fames. But pretty chilled really.
 alexcollins123 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Lenin:

I've been in early June, end of June and mid-July over the past 5 years or so, and every time there has been remnants of snow right up on the tops. 2 years ago in July the summit of Punta Anna was still pretty well covered.

Never stopped us from doing everything we wanted to do mind...
 beardy mike 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Lenin: The descent from Tofana aretes is sketchy in places. I could imagine with some old hard spring snow or ice on it you could have quite a hard time if you didn't take some crampons. That said it's plumb south facing so catches the sun. Punta Fiames descent is down a large scree gully. Take a pair of walking poles and I'd imagine you'll get down any difficulties without a masive problem. Best thing about late June is less crowds and slightly cooler temps and consequently more stable weather. But it's anyones guess as to the snow levels. Currently its been a poor start, but recently march and even april have had snow falls. So takes yer pick...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...