UKC

Glastonbury Tor Aerial Video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 21 Dec 2016
Good morning to you all

I know it is not climbing related but a few of you lovely people have probably visited the spectacular Glastonbury Tor with the iconic St Michael's Tower over the years so here is a Xmas video offering to you all. For those who have never been, Glastonbury Tor is one of the most famous landmarks in Somerset, if not the whole of the West Country and can be seen for miles around whilst having huge spiritual significance for many people.
The day before this wee video was shot the Met Office forecast predicted there could be some temperature inversion voodoo and brocken spectre sorcery going on. So my better half and I had an Alpine start to try and catch dawn breaking whilst hopefully avoiding disturbing the general public with my Phantom 4 drone. I also spoke to the few people who were around and they were very happy for me to have a quick fly around...

So for anyone interested in viewing a 3 minute HD vid of one of the wonders of the South West featuring sweeping aerial views, temperature inversions, brocken spectres and an epic dawn breaking over the Somerset Levels then please use the following link:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qih_wIlElEw&

All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will enliven a tea or lunch break up with a brew and biscuit and transport you to gorgeous Glastonbury!

Merry Xmas to you all

Dave

PS Another climbing vid coming soon so watch this space!

Big Ger 21 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Sharing that!!
OP BALD EAGLE 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Sharing that!!

Hi Ger I'm glad you enjoyed my wee vid so please feel free to share it and a very Merry Xmas to you!
Cheers
Dave
Rigid Raider 22 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

How does the drone cope with wind? Pretty well by the look of it.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> How does the drone cope with wind? Pretty well by the look of it.

Yep even though the winds were very light on that superb morning over Glastonbury Tor the P4 copes very well! The difference between the old Phantom 2 and new Phantom 4 is incredible with the new version running on an App via your tablet or smart phone and also being sleeker, lighter, better stability + tolerance to wind, longer flying time per battery, 4K filming and a whole multitude of superb modes including Tapfly, Active Track and Point of Interest to name but a few...
Cheers
Dave
 elsewhere 22 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Simpy - WOW!

That's my first reaction to video & editing.

Incredibly quality and stability.

> All constructive feedback welcome,

Don't wear a bright red sweatshirt! It sort of destroys the magic and dreaminess to see somebody in control.
Similarly seeing the shadow of the drone but I guess Hollywood edits them out frame by frame.

Please note I know nothing about drones, my video footage/editing is rubbish (seriously) and refer back to my first reaction.
In reply to elsewhere:

> Simpy - WOW!

> That's my first reaction to video & editing.

> Incredibly quality and stability.

> Don't wear a bright red sweatshirt! It sort of destroys the magic and dreaminess to see somebody in control.

> Similarly seeing the shadow of the drone but I guess Hollywood edits them out frame by frame.

> Please note I know nothing about drones, my video footage/editing is rubbish (seriously) and refer back to my first reaction.

Hi elsewhere and thanks a million for taking the time to post your kind words as it is muchly appreciated! Yep the Phantom 4 is an amazing piece of technology with fantastic smooth 4k filming. And you're absolutely right I normally wear something dark when drone filming but grabbed the red top in a rush to catch the sunrise!
Cheers
Dave
 Bobling 23 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks Dave. A little bit of spirituality just when I needed it. Here's to much more from Son of Arnie : )
OP BALD EAGLE 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> Thanks Dave. A little bit of spirituality just when I needed it. Here's to much more from Son of Arnie : )

Heya Bobling and thanks a bunch for your positive words! Plenty of climbing film projects with the Son of Arnie lined up in my "Things to do" folder for 2017...
Merry Xmas
Dave
Lusk 23 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Cool, with the inversion.
I'd've ended the film by descending the inside of the tower.
OP BALD EAGLE 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:
> Cool, with the inversion.

> I'd've ended the film by descending the inside of the tower.

Thanks everso Lusk and the inversion + brocken spectres were spectacular! A nice idea but with the P4 costing over 1 grand you would be a braver and better pilot than I descending the inside of the tower...
Cheers
Dave
Post edited at 19:04
 Fraser 23 Dec 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice video with some great footage, (particularly the inversion!) but I thought there were restrictions about flying them within a certain distance of other members of the public. Or am I misremembering and there is no such legislation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...