UKC

Climbing gear in hand baggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bonebag 25 Dec 2016
Planning a sport climbing trip to Costa Blanca at the end of January. Just wondering if anyone has carried a rope, quick draws, harness, rock boots, helmet in their hand baggage. ie. are there any items the airlines wont permit in hand baggage.

Any thoughts welcome and happy Christmas to all.
 lithos 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:
search the site for previous responses but in short it's not the airline bt the airport security you need to worry about

in my experience
NO: rope, harness , metal eg QDs and krabs/ATC
YES rock boots, guides, helmet

other people have had different experiences, - question is 'do you feel lucky....' what happens if you get it turned away

see http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=165 and a search for hand bagge
 olddirtydoggy 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

I know rope would be the trickiest. I had the hose of a platypus almost pulled last year on a flight to Tenerife. The rest will depend on security on the day I would have thought.
 Oceanrower 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

Oh dear God. Is it that time of year again!
 Sutok 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

When people ask reasonable questions about going abroad to climb?
OP bonebag 25 Dec 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks for you helpful info and yours lithos.

No more comments needed now. I know all I need to know.
OP bonebag 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Ba humbug to you mate : )
 Sutok 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

I took a clipstick in my carry on to Costa blanca last year but I got the impression they only let it through because they had absolutely no idea what it was despite it being far more dangerous than a quickdraw or a rope!
 sammy5000 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

Two years running easyjet manchester alicante took all my kit as hand luggage rope and draws.
 kipper12 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

As much as you can should go in the hold, shoes ok, never tried helmet or harness. If you are looking to save a few squid, just pay for one hold bag between 2 or more
 bpmclimb 25 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

> No more comments needed now. I know all I need to know.

No point trying to dictate which is the last post on a thread - it's likely to have the opposite effect!
 Oceanrower 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Sutok:
> When people ask reasonable questions about going abroad to climb?

Which a very quick search has found to have been asked at least 289 times (and probably many more) before.

Climbing gear hand baggage = 60 threads
Climbing gear hand luggage - 116 threads
Climbing gear planes = 113 threads

(Yes, I know they're not ALL about this but I'm not going through every post.....)
Post edited at 00:03
 ianstevens 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Sutok:

> When people ask reasonable questions about going abroad to climb?

When people can't use the website of an airline/airport or the search function in this site. This topic has been covered in excess of 10000 times.
 lithos 26 Dec 2016
In reply to lithos:

yay i got a dislike
 Tim Davies 26 Dec 2016
In reply to lithos:

You've got two now if that makes you any happier!!!!
OP bonebag 26 Dec 2016
In reply to lithos:

Think it's time I stopped posting on this site now for info. Always someone who doesn't like it. I appreciated your help mate. Thanks.
 leemagowan 26 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

My experience,

Yes- helmet in hand
Harness and shoes, guide in hand luggage

No- any metalware at all

No rope also

Have a good one! Well gel!
ste carey 26 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

I've been through with a rope a couple of times. I've heard a few people have had issues though but i think this is rare. My mate managed to argue his case and get through.

Helmet, you can carry this in hand with the excuse of not wanting to get it damaged as it's PPE. This gives you more space ect.

I've always put metalwork in the case but I think this is also ok.

Steve.
 GrahamD 26 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

Irrespective of it being a lottery are you sure you can actually fit all that lot in hand luggage ? I couldn't
 Gustavo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

We recently flew to Norway with KLM and their hand baggage policy is strictly no "climbing irons" in hand baggage. I imagine other airlines are similar.

JR_NL 27 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

Departing Amsterdam I had all my metalwork (QD, nuts, biners and belay devices, but obviously not my nutkey) with me in handluggage, together with my helmet. I had no issues, but the couple next to us was surprised as they had major issues with it in Eindhoven...

In summary, your mileage may vary!
 SteveSBlake 27 Dec 2016
In reply to bonebag:

In late August I caught an Easyjet flight from Edinburgh to Venice. I never take any climbing gear in hand luggage. Contrast that with another passenger whose hand luggage was his smallish (but still quite large pack) which had all of his climbing gear for the Dolomites, rope draped through the lid etc. He had no problems, either on the way out or back. (He was on the same flight again). I asked him about it and he reckoned he always traveled that way.....

Regardless of the above, my hardware and rope will always go in the hold.

Cheers,

Steve
 Trangia 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ste carey:

> Helmet, you can carry this in hand with the excuse of not wanting to get it damaged as it's PPE. This gives you more space ect.

Do you cheer up your fellow passengers by putting it on for take off and landing? .........
 Tam O'Bam 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred thousand million times, don't exagerate!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...