UKC

Down trousers and High altitude options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 26 Dec 2016

Which down trousers would you buy ? Both the same price more or less. I have the lightline jacket. Looking for options on Denali, Kili,Meru, Acon, Mera etc What would you pair either of these trousers with to make an 8000m kit in your opinion? I wish I was rich, but I climb on a budget. (well, not so much a budget-more like everything I have) I don't get paid enough!

I could* buy the right trousers for 8000m but taking it on the climbs listed would be a bit much so need some options.

£250
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/mountain-equipment-classic-lightline-pant-down...

£250
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/bergans-expedition-down-pant-down-pant/

£450
Or the big boy gear https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/valandre-baffin-down-pant/
Which are oddly much lighter than the other two pairs.
Post edited at 12:15
 wbo 26 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara: https://www.bergans.com/catalog/clothing-women/pants-women/insulated-pants-...

Yes, they're listed as womens but here's a bit more technical informasjon on the Bergans pants to help you. Dont suppose you get to try them all on?
OP zimpara 26 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:
> Dont suppose you get to try them all on?

Thanks wbo, So the Bergans are 750 fill, the ME are 650 iirc and the valandres are 800
Alpinetrek have a decent returns policy so it shouldn't be a problem to go buy, try and return different options. Why, what are you thinking?
Post edited at 13:38
 wbo 26 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara: im thinking the differences in down weight and quality are pretty small but that any of them could be a fit that works, or just feel terrible when you have them on, and thats hard to tell from a photo.

Mark Haward 28 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

The peaks mentioned have very different requirements and the insulated trousers mentioned are likely to be overkill for several of them. Normal softshell trousers with a base layer and overtrousers for the coldest / highest sections would be fine for many people on some of those peaks. If you are spending money on doing an 8,000 metre peak then buying or hiring down trousers for those will be the least of your money concerns.
Companies who guide these trips have their own recommendations and kit lists which are often worth looking at. You could always contact them for advice.
Have you looked at the ME Fitzroy trousers?
 Billhook 28 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Id spend your time and money getting hill/mountain time in in winter Scotland, then the Alps. You don't need down clothing and certainly not down trousers. Then when you are a bit more experienced you'll be better placed to decide what equipment you need, rather than perhaps spending dosh on stuff you actually never use later on.
 webbo 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Id spend your time and money getting hill/mountain time in in winter Scotland, then the Alps. You don't need down clothing and certainly not down trousers. Then when you are a bit more experienced you'll be better placed to decide what equipment you need, rather than perhaps spending dosh on stuff you actually never use later on.

I'm not so sure when I did Flying Buttress I'm sure the only thing that got me up it was my down trousers.
 rocksol 28 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

In my opinion complete waste of time/money
Bulky down suites are generally worn at high altitude by people moving extremely slowly, e.g. Commercial Everest trips where lack of skill claims a shocking rate of fatal attrition. I have worn a down suit descending from high on K2 but we were climbing in zero vis. by feel in hurricane force winds and simply had to get down In good weather proper layering will be OK for temperatures down to below minus 30 Good boots headwear and gloves essential
 Denni 29 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

What do you actually want to do and why are you talking about trousers for 8000m's?

Down trousers for Kili, Meru and Mera Peak???? I wore thick longjohns and Mammut Base Jump pants for Mera Peak.

You'd need them for Denali and Aconcagua both of which I haven't done but surely synthetic insulated pants would be better, think BD Belay pants or MH Compressor.
 krikoman 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I've had my trousers down for sometime now, it's not as warm as you might think!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...