UKC

Top Ascents this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 08 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Logbooks:

Sorry. Actually no I'm bl**dy not sorry but is this UK Climbing or Spain climbing?
Always thought this was about Great Britain & Ireland not Spain.
I imagine this'll bring some dislikes so lets vote huh? UKC or SpainC?
 Andy Farnell 08 Jan 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne: Andy, its just harder climbs by UK climbers. Some impressive ascents going on, so its all good.

Btw, loved the book, it made me shed tears of laughter and sadness. I never knew you were a fan of the mighy Pex Hill.

Andy F

Valkyrie1968 08 Jan 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Agreed - I'm sick of these bloody foreign routes, taking ascents away from British ones. It's precisely why I voted for Brexit.
 Angry old man 08 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Logbooks:
My vote goes for a separate section for overseas ascents, then those of us who arnt interested can give it a miss
 Lord_ash2000 08 Jan 2017

You can tell when it's been a wet week. No trad accents and all the sport abroad, happens often in winter. Got to admit I'm in two minds about it, Should it be top UK accents or top accents by the UK's climbers, as it is now?

Maybe a separate "top foreign accents" category would solve it, as someone above has surggested. Given the vast majority of UK climbers do thier climbing in the UK and are interested in UK climbs it might offer a better view of this week's climbing across the UK than what one strong team did on thier Christmas holidays.
 deacondeacon 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> You can tell when it's been a wet week. No trad accents and all the sport abroad, happens often in winter. Got to admit I'm in two minds about it, Should it be top UK accents or top accents by the UK's climbers, as it is now?

there's only about 10 sport climbs logged above the threshold (which is either 8a or 8a+ I can't remember), so it's still very easy to glance over them to see which ones are from the uk. I'd be more inclined to see it change if you had to traipse through a hundred logs to see which are in the uk but that's not the case.

Gary Gibson 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Lord_ash2000: I've got a top U.K. accent but not top U.K. ascent this year!

AP Melbourne 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Ha! Nice one Gary (hope yr well old bean).

Andy F: Thanks for the kind words.

I dunno but the likes vs dislikes 'vote' would tend to suggest a renaming to SpainC might be on the cards.
 stp 09 Jan 2017

You can think of the 'UK' as either a geographical landmass defined by it's political borders or more about the people who live there. That is the cultural phenomenon: ie. the climbing community. These days that community climbs almost as much abroad as they do in this country - at least in the winter months when everything is wet.
 Tyler 09 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:
Before we need to discuss the ridiculousness of only counting UK ascents as those that take place on UK soil (British athletics records don't need to be done on UK tracks) it's probably worth pointing out this a list of 'climbs done by users of UKC logbooks in the past week' no mention of nationality or location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...