UKC

James Stanford RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 27 Dec 2016
No doubt the deaths of pop stars and celebrities means something and saddens those who choose to follow that sort of culture.

As somebody who enjoys walking, loves the outdoors and is fascinated by maps I was sorry to hear that James Stanford had passed away.

Edward Stanford and Sons, in Long Acre Covent Garden has for many years been THE map shop. When working in London some years ago I used to enjoy browsing through the many maps that were available and regularly purchased my maps there. The chances were that if you couldn't get a map in Stanfords then you couldn't get it anywhere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/12/26/james-stanford-organiser-l...
 Trangia 27 Dec 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Stanfords is my favourite London shop. I've spent hours there browsing and have bought countless maps both for the UK and abroad.

I hope the passing of James will not result in any deterioration in their excellent helpful service and huge and varied stock.
OP FesteringSore 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:
Agreed
Post edited at 15:43
 jethro kiernan 27 Dec 2016

Agreed that and Zwemmers photo book store on Charing Cross rd(Sadly shut) were great places to browse
Removed User 27 Dec 2016

I loved visiting Stanford's. I was last there trying to find a half decent map of the Atlas mountains before going there in c.1993. RIP.
 Rog Wilko 28 Dec 2016

No, The Map Shop is in Upton on Severn.
They have never failed me and have a fantastic mail order service. Their web site is good but the person who answers the phone seems to have a computer brain and has all their amazing stock at his fingertips.
Always my first port of call, though I'm sure Stanford is excellent too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...