UKC

Alternative to Canada Goose jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My niece is threatening to spend an obscene amount of money on a Canada Goose jacket. From what I've seen of them in TK Maxx, they're overpriced nonsense.

So I'd welcome suggestions for an alternative sensible jacket, mid-thigh length, hooded, with fur trim.

As you might guess, this is more a fashion item, but I'm sure there must be decent down jackets that are nice-looking, and cost less than £750 (FFS)... It's for a short trip to Iceland (no, not to stock up with turkey twizzlers and prawn rings).

TBF, she likes the idea of having a zip and poppers, giving the option to have it unzipped but popped

Thanks.
 spenser 27 Dec 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Failing something premade you might be able to get PhD to do something for you? I'd imagine the cost of them putting poppers on would not be exorbitant, I'd imagine they may refuse to put the fur on for her though.

They use real fur on the hoods. Maybe try that as an angle?
 Smythson 27 Dec 2016

TNF? They have a wide range of jackets that fall at various points on the fashionable / practical scale.

They use faux fur. (And it may be worth sitting her down to a showing of Earthlings if she still wears real fur!)

Best,

s
 HeMa 27 Dec 2016

Bogner and 'Ryx Veilance might offer something she'd be keen and not spendy as CG.

Fjällräven has something highly similar to CG offering as well.
 Šljiva 27 Dec 2016
In reply to HeMa:
Marmot Chelsea coat is pretty similar and without the real fur (and super warm).
 alexm198 27 Dec 2016

As people above have mentioned, is she aware of the fur aspect? I also seem to remember their down is unethically sourced (i.e. live plucked).
 leon 1 27 Dec 2016
In reply to alexm198:
No live plucking according to their website although they do proudly admit to only using real fur because of its insulating qualities.

The Canada Goose Down Transparency Standard™ is our commitment to tracking the source of all of our down, from farm to factory. Through a third-party audit program conducted by International Down & Feather Industries, we can certify that our down only comes as a by-product from the poultry industry and has not come from live-plucked or force-fed birds. It also ensures that all down we source adheres to the Five Freedoms policy set out by the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and European Convention for the Protection of Animals Kept for Farming Purposes. By January 2017, all down insulation used to manufacture new Canada Goose products will be fully traceable.

The Canada Goose Fur Transparency Standard™ is our commitment to support the ethical, responsible and sustainable sourcing and use of real fur. The first traceability program to cover the wild habitat, it ensures that all fur sourced by Canada Goose is in accordance with the Agreement of International Humane Trapping Standards (AIHTS) in Canada and the Best Managed Practices (BMP) in the United States, and is fully traceable throughout the supply chain. The standard certifies that we never purchase fur from fur farms, never use fur from endangered animals, and only purchase fur from licensed North American trappers strictly regulated by state, provincial and federal standards. By April 2017, all fur used in new Canada Goose products will be fully traceable.

To the OP Its her money and her choice but she needs a reality slap
Post edited at 22:55
 alexm198 27 Dec 2016
In reply to leon 1:

Cool, thanks Leon. Should've taken the time to look that up before spouting false accusations!

Anyway, the fur issue still stands.
 GarethSL 27 Dec 2016

As HeMa said...

Fjallraven.

Scandinavians have always been suckers for latest fashion. Still outrageously expensive for street-wear.

But HeMa! To call Veilance not spendy... are you drunk?
 Dauphin 27 Dec 2016

Fashionable though innit, so you got no chance. Every other tit with a shiny new BMW on tick.

Going to Iceland I'd probably want a north face McMurdo parka, you can pick them up between 200 and 250 if you look around and they even have fake fur.

D
 HeMa 28 Dec 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Veilance is (perhaps) not AS spendy as the CG jacket...

If she's off to Iceland, then it should be a 66North parka. Local brand, I own a few bits and been very impressed.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/brands/66-north/for--women/

Dell 28 Dec 2016

I expect she'll ignore all your advice and just buy the Canada Goose.
 planetmarshall 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> They use real fur on the hoods. Maybe try that as an angle?

Out of interest, how is this any different to using leather or other animal products?
In reply to planetmarshall:

guess it comes down to how squeemish you are about your clothes/handbags. Isn't leather a by-product of the meat industry? in which case, why not use it? Not sure how much meat there is on a mink or sable..
 JayPee630 28 Dec 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Out of interest, how is this any different to using leather or other animal products?

Depends, do you mean ethically, ecologically, or in some other way? Use of (most) leather compared to (most) fur is quite different in most aspects apart from the simple 'both from animals' one. And 'other animal products' is a bit vague!

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's entirely possible all of my suggestions will be ignored, because I obviously don't understand how wonderful CG are... I spent some time browsing Cotswold's offerings last night, and even got an approval for a TNF offering at less than one third of the price. Sanity may prevail yet...

There was a load of 66N stuff in TKM a few years back, after their financial crash. I even bought a powershield jacket. But the design was not for outdoors use (almost a classic suit block, with no arm raise at all). I hope they were 'urban outdoor' offerings, and their real outdoor products are better.
In reply to Siward:

My niece...

Men's McMurdo...

Couldn't find a women's equivalent.
In reply to Dauphin:

See; this is why it's worth asking questions on UKC: better results than Google...
In reply to Dauphin:

Ah: girl's jacket, not adult. Niece is a small adult.
 Dauphin 28 Dec 2016
 Siward 29 Dec 2016

Ah- I assumed that there was bound to be a women's version but it seems that only ebay will provide. Discontinued?
 ben b 29 Dec 2016

If you don't need to try it on first have a look at mec.ca for the Canadian co-op collection. There's usually 15-20 winter jackets that will actually do winter (and at -30 that's required!) and still cater to Montreal chic.

Whenever I have been there the Canadian dollar has been low enough to make it seem like half price to NZ, though post brexit ymmv...

Cheers

B
In reply to Dell:

Bingo...

Ah well, I tried...
 Anoetic 30 Dec 2016
In reply to captain paranoia: If the purchase was for fashion over function then there would be no replacement for the CG name.

Morty 30 Dec 2016
In reply to HeMa:

> Fjällräven has something highly similar to CG offering as well.

Good lord!

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/fjallraven-women-s-expedition-down-parka-no-...

Dell 30 Dec 2016

Oh dear. Let's hope she doesn't run out of spending money on her holiday.
 David Barlow 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Dell:

This thread almost makes me feel justified to want one of these http://eu.patagonia.com/enGB/product/mens-grade-vii-down-parka?p=84845-0
 Anoetic 30 Dec 2016
In reply to David Barlow:

Tried one on yesterday, would take one at the drop of a hat if they sold the other half in the U.K..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...